New to FerrariChat | FerrariChat

New to FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Not2late, Apr 23, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    Hello, everyone. I am new to FerrariChat as a member, although I have been following the site and reading posts for many years. I've been in love with Ferraris for decades...subscribed to the Ferrari Market Letter for years, have lots of books, memorabilia, models, hats, shirts...pretty much everything but the car itself. I currently own a 1973 Porsche 911T and a basket case Austin Healey 3000 and am preparing to make the plunge into Ferrari ownership (no specific car yet). My interest is in the 308 family and I am open to all years, although I do have a soft spot for the carbureted models. Just wanted to reach out to like minded people in the Phoenix area and introduce myself to the community. Thanks!

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Welcome...... and you need to take the plunge while you are young enough to enjoy them.

Do you come out to any C&C events? There's something going on every weekend. A big Porsche one on the 1st Sat of the month is at 4 til 4 coffee shop in Old Town Scottsdale. Even though its mainly Porsches, some carpet baggers show up from time to time. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Welcome Russ! Where in the PHX area are you? As Dino noted, the local C&C and the DC Ranch C&C are always fun to visit and show at.

4. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    We're in the West valley, I've been to the C&C at the Ferrari dealership/Penske museum in Scottsdale a couple of times but not to the one downtown (if that's the one you're referring to). I'll have to research the other events to find out when they take place. Any suggestions for the next possible get together?

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome, Russel. I am in Fountain Hills.... east valley.
    Several good Saturday and Sunday get-togethers over here, now coming to a close as summer approaches.
    If you find a 308 for sale. I'd be happy to help you with an inspection. I've had 4 of them.

6. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    Thanks for the gracious offer! One question I have regarding the carbureted cars is how well they run and whether they can be driven during the hot summer months due to the high temps. Do they have to be re-jetted for summer?

7. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Once properly tuned, the carburated cars run just fine. Cooling systems have to be in the best of shape to tolerate hot weather. The AC systems are marginal at best in the earlier cars. I had a '75 Dino GT4, '77 308 GTB, 81 308 GTBi and 84 308 QV. None of them had AC units that worked very well above 90*.... too much glass and not enough fan. OTOH my '99 Modena coupe had an AC system that was as good as any car I have driven. Even here in Phoenix.
    Don't worry about carbs. I currently drive a 1971 365 GTC/4. Six twin choke webers. Set up correctly and without any problems year 'round. Although I do not drive the car much when we see temperature extremes during the summer here.

8. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    Good, I was hoping that was the case. Although I'm not too keen on driving during the heat of summer I wanted to know if it was still a possibility. I currently drive a '73 911 without A/C and during the summer months am limited to sunrise drives. Marginal A/C isn't really a concern for me; more so for my wife!

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Same here Russ, I'm in Goodyear. R U close?

10. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    Yes, we're right next door in Buckeye.

11. Not2late

Not2late Rookie

Apr 23, 2024
    Full Name:
    Russell Spence
    Thanks to all who responded to my first post. To PeterS, we're in Verrado if you ever want to meet up...over there or over here. I'm just looking to meet people in the community who share my enthusiasm for cars that were meant for more than just transportation! To all, I will have more questions coming regarding the search process as well as questions regarding some potential alternatives to the 308.