Mondial Sunroofs - Bulletproof or Fragile? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mondial Sunroofs - Bulletproof or Fragile?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PeterS, Feb 18, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    I‘ve no coupe but a convertible so I‘ve no experience of my own. But on ebay you‘ll find a repair kit for a reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354770763569
    Anyone used this?

2. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    I think I saw this kit previously offered in Etsy of all places. Haven't used it though.

3. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I used it and its good - the guy who makes it is in Florida and was very helpful...still, I am not opening my sunroof ever again

Image Unavailable, Please Login

PAP 348 and peterp like this.
  4. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Gawd, I really like sunroofs and I'm sure there will be a day it gives up the ghost................at night............and a rain storm is about to dump......................my boss is riding with me.................and I'm in shorts and a T!

moysiuan likes this.
  5. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    So when everything is repairable why is it an issue to operate the sunroof?

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Like we say here in Florida, "try it and find out!"

If you've read this thread and others on sunroof problems, they are a royal pia to repair, difficult to source parts for, and generally considered a poor design to begin with and better left alone if they don't leak.
    Alden
    (A happy Cabrio owner!)

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I don’t know, I used mine a lot and am of the opinion that things work better when exercised regularly. The pot metal pulley shaft is the main weak spot on the cable - if the ebay kit fixes that, then that’s the main issue. The other issue is dried grease, made worse by not using it (and easily remedied by cleaning and regreasing). The sunroof panel isn’t difficult to remove to access everything.

Everyone has to decide for themself. If you really like sunroof, I can’t imagine depriving yourself. I’m not a big sunroof user, but I made a point of using it just to keep it exercised.

ellum likes this.
  8. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    And those convertible tops are carefree to operate? Nothing that could go wrong? No B-pillar issues?

I am just wondering... There are many things that can go wrong with our Mondials and to a lot of things there are solutions. E.g. as I just found out with the washer fluid bottle that fits from a Lancia Beta.
    And from what I understand working on the sunroof is not overly complicated. But what do I know...

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The decision to open it is about as tough as badging it, would look really good on black!

............................Oh these first-world problems we have to face :p

schelle_pelle likes this.
  10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    The convertible top is easy to operate, if you know how, (just watch the Mondial scene from the movie "Scent of a Woman," you'll see they didn't know how to get the top all the way down!) If you try to muscle the top then you'll break it, yes. I have replaced my B pillars with Ron's newly manufactured ones, better quality. It's just part of the maintenance, not trying to gloat, but I do love my cabriolet!
    Alden

11. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    I guess you proofed my point then? ;-)
    Those parts in the sunroof mechanism wear out and can be replaced. I guess those phrases where the sunroof should not be operated once it's shut are from a time when spare parts for the sunroof were not available. At the same point I am aware that the rubber seal is not obtainable if it should have hardened over time.

12. braq

braq Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Hill Island
    Full Name:
    Paul XXXcX
    Enjoying a working sunroof since 15 years of ownership, car came like that ;-)

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I own a 2014 Toyota Prado with a sunroof and I am paranoid about that breaking or leaking so I don't use it lol

Only used it a few times to show the kids how it works etc and let them stick their heads out the top of it while parked outside lol

I love the thought of sunroofs, but don't really want them in my cars. The Prado came with it as it was the top of the range model.

14. Brooklands

Brooklands Karting

Aug 4, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I use my sunroof all the time. Love having it open. I live up in the mountains, and it's nice to look up while driving and see the snow capped peaks against the blue sky through the open roof, and hear more of the great Ferrari engine sounds.

It seemed a bit slow and strained sounding when I first got the car, but when cleaned and lubricated it worked great for the next couple of years. Recently it started to sit 1/4 " low at one rear corner, but still doesn't leak when closed, and seems to operate smoothly.

After reading about the weak pot metal slider, I believe mine is likely starting to fail, so I have this sitting on the shelf waiting :

Nicely machined from 6061 aluminum for under $100 from Etsy, shipped and delivered promptly.

ellum, schelle_pelle and peterp like this.
  15. ellum

ellum Rookie

Dec 8, 2020
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Elvis
    Well... I practicaly use the sunroof on every drive. When I bought the car almost 2y ago I just cleaned and lubricated it. Good advice with the metal slider!

In my first restauration 20y ago I welded a sunroof and repainted because I thought its too complitcated to fix. Still regreting it! (and still owning the car...)

Brooklands and schelle_pelle like this.
  16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Does anyone have a source of NEW sunroof surround (side-front-side) seals?

17. Oleino

Oleino Rookie

Feb 2, 2023
    Finland
    Full Name:
    O. Leino
    I'm somewhat a newbie on the topic, but would like to improve my sunroof functionality as well. At the moment the sunroof doesn't close all the way unless you help with your hand. I'm suspecting old and hard seals too. Previous owner had some work done on the sunroof, and otherwise it seems to work OK.

What kind of profile the seal has? My Mondial is still stored and waiting for proper spring to come, so I don't have access to check myself. I have a local supplier where I have bought some hoses etc. rubber stuff earlier with good results. Would be interested to check with them if they have something to provide.

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had various experiences with sunroofs. The hand crank one on my '89 Jetta Carat was very robust. Never failed. Raptor forums say to avoid the Moonroof, so mine has every option but that.

But the Sunroof 360 has a removable panel. Nothing can fail but the seals. Keep them moist and no possible problems.

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #45 Alden, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    I use this on all seals, recommended by Ron Frohock! Works great! (I don't have a sunroof but I use it on my top, door and trunk seals)
    Alden

peterp likes this.
  20. Oleino

Oleino Rookie

Feb 2, 2023
    Finland
    Full Name:
    O. Leino
    The local shop didn't have similar seals (or near match) on their list. They suggested that one option would be to make suitable tools for manufacturing the seals, but that would go to four digit prices per profile + the cost per meter for seal itself. It's beyond what I'm willing to spend.

21. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I only use that for external rubber. On my door seals it made them stick together and they would pop and creak as the car went over bumps. Drove me crazy.

22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I use it on all my seals and it doesn't make any noise, maybe you used too much of a good thing or didn't wipe it clean the next day, LOL!
    Alden

peterp likes this.
  23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    This stuff is great for rubber seals! I've been using it for a couple of decades, it's really magic at preserving rubber. As an audio guy, I even use it on speaker drivers that have rubber surrounds -- works great at keeping rubber supple.