Could Adrian go to Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Could Adrian go to Ferrari?

Discussion in 'F1' started by cairns, Apr 25, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Could gardening leave include a chance to produce a Ferrari supercar? If so I would think that would be a huge inducement.

Just hoping I guess.

2. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    A) Ditch LuLu now & put the money toward Newey.
    B) If I was Newey, I would take a pay cut if it meant NOT having to work with LuLu. And I would charge a lot extra if I had to work with him.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    I doubt Newey cares about that very much. Too many on here assume the figures in F1 have the same hang-ups about working various other people that they would.

In regards to Newey, it could well be that he just steps back in his role, sees out his contract, then retires completely from F1. He's not getting any younger. He'll be 67 when he'd be free to go to another team. Age is just a number, until it isn't to the person seeing more grey in the mirror.

IF Newey were to go somewhere, I doubt it would be Aston or McLaren. While they've had progress in recent years, they're not race winners. The responsibility of having to do all the heavy lifting of design and development to make them just winners seems like something Newey won't be interested in that much.

Mercedes is a possibility, but I don't think Newey likes Toto very much. As biased as I sound, taking a consulting gig at Ferrari seems most probable of the options outside of Red Bull, in that Newey would get a strong technical department that already wins races, which he doesn't have to babysit, in addition to the possibility of giving Ham his 8th or Leclerc his first in a Ferrari.

That's my take anyways. Of course, this could all just be a stunt by Newey to get Red Bull to shape up politically. That wouldn't surprise me.

JStone414 and Nuvolari like this.
  4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Being part of a dysfunctional group mean what you care about is less important than the drama that comsumes the energy of that group.
    No argument of the other points you make. We will see!

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, please.

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The only thing bigger than Adrian Newey's bank account is his ego.
    He doesn't need money - he does enjoy it.
    He may not need adoration - he definitely enjoys it.

I remember Newey saying he'd love to get a crack at the perfect road car, and he'd love to design an America's Cup winning boat. Guess who is in the position to make both of these things true, along with two very competitive drivers and a nice house in the Italian countryside?

The only place I think he will get everything he wants is Ferrari.

Stroll's money isn't enough, even if it might be more than what Ferrari offers. The rest of the package just cannot compete. No one else can.

While I do think that if he leaves there is a possibility that he will retire, or less likely, go to another team, I think the man is aching to end his career at Ferrari by winning a world championship or two or three.

jpalmito likes this.
  7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This and the Valkyrie (his design after all) at Lemans could be really tempting...I agree on him going to Aston even if I'd like to see him at Ferrari.

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Lewis jumped to MB a decade ago because he had inside info that told him it was the team to bet on. I would not be surprised to see Ferrari, Lewis, and Newey all converging on Ferrari to do something very special. I think Lewis and Ferrari may have already had the start of plan's with Newey back when they put Lewis's deal together.

67bmer and CRG125 like this.
  9. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    IMO, this is a non-story, with no FACTS, just rumor/fantasy. I don't think AN is going anywhere.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He is said to be in negotiations for that to be significantly shorter. Who knows what will happen..............

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull has absolutely zero interest in shortening his gardening leave. Imagine with the rumours going round now as they are and newey pops in the office and asks for a gardening leave to be shortened? Lol

12. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Was in the factory this week, Newey to Ferrari definitely has legs.. they seemed very confident.

13. DF1

It is a negotiation and you will be surprised at times what those yield. I would not discount a shortening of it. Keeping a figure like Newey in the sport goes beyond 1 teams contract. Its good for the sport at large. There is also a move in F1 to shorten gardening leave as it hurts the potential employee's ability to move, work and be viable as an asset. It helps all teams. Gardening leave should not be punititive. This issue is also on the plate at the EU. It prevents people from simply making a living and is detrimental to competition. It is by default an embargo.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whilst I don't discount for the gardening leave to be shortened by a year so he can work somewhere else in 2026, any longer than that surely is fantasy.

It may be a discussion in the EU but it's not law. And Newey is hardly going to make a case for himself "oh RB, a team I'm leaving on my own accord, is preventing me from working. Oh how will I survive these 2 years with 200m in the bank". As far as people disadvantaged by Gardening leave go, he's pretty damn low on the list of sympathy in that regard.

What does Red Bull gain in it? Literally zero. Unless that seemingly never ending money fountain of Ferrari pays a stupid amount of money to buy Newey out completely.

15. DF1

F1 is now literally stupid money lol. We should not be surprised. The allure of 1 like Newey will ensure checks written are stupid lol. Good entertainment for us yes?

16. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Whose more valuable at RB? Newey or Horner? Get rid of Horny to keep the rest together??

Phil~ likes this.
  17. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Newey will be driving at the Monaco Historic. I'll try to grab him. It might work. I told Lewis to join Ferrari when I met him in 2019! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot and Nuvolari like this.
  18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Although this all sound super I'm afraid that Stroll Sr. Can make Newey an offer that he simply cannot resist. Stroll has probably even deeper pockets than Ferrari and has the advantage that he can make him the offer without any board,internal discussions etc. He IS the board..together with Honda, who has a very good relationship with Adrian too, this might turn out to be a real surprise for the future

Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But then it's also against RB...it's not like they're short of a dollar or two. And with the contract they call the shots.

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yup.

On top of that Honda recently said they really, really want to work with Max again.

Max/Alonso/Newey/Aston? Add a Le Mans car in the mix...

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Some are really hoping that Adrian will choose AM instead of Ferrari.
    I don’t get it sorry..:oops:

ktu likes this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lets put it this way:

When Alonso was at Ferrari he definitely wasn't universally loved...

william likes this.
  23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Adrian Newey is probably not obsessed by Ferrari as you are. :p

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Steve please change your avatar before @intrepidcva11 sees it and feels the need to tell the story of how and when he bought #10581(again);)

25. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    We talking about Newey, not Alonso.