296 Values and Used Market | Page 23 | FerrariChat

296 Values and Used Market

Discussion in '296' started by Mrwatchdawg, Aug 31, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Ferrari is damn good when it comes to branding, marketing and emptying wallets. You can bet they'll come up with something to help circumvent it.

boxerman likes this.
  2. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Personally I have zero interest in a full EV. Zip. Won't buy one.

kussetimii, carz80am, jim g and 4 others like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If they go EV, the older cars will do incredibly well.

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I think the main problem that will impact pricing of hybrids or TVs as they get older is the state of the battery. When you buy an ICE car - you, or someone, can check the condition of the engine etc. When you buy a car with battery power, you actually don't have much idea of the state of the battery so I'm not sure how you price that risk?!

5. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    there is big chance that petrol cars will be not banned in 2035 in Europe Union

Caeruleus11, Cigarzman and Gh21631 like this.
  6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    true except the number of people who know how to fix the old cars is not increasing. Find someone to fix your 'vintage' 458, 328, 308 wont be easy sooner than later. When you do find someone to do the work they will be back logged by months if not years and very expensive.

Batteries will only get cheaper, lighter and more efficient. ICE evolution has largely peaked, hybrid etc is just getting started.

x z8 likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    As I see it, the battery issue is just another thing of which to be aware. Im sure you can get a report on the state of charge from the dealer, no different than you would get for the clutch life on a single clutch F1 gearbox or perhaps how much wear are on the brake pads and rotors. The cars as new have a 7 year factory warranty on the system, I would imagine they offer a way to extend it.

NGooding likes this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Batteries are an interim solution, once these manufacturers figure out how to use capacitors then it becomes real. Batteries have a short life, are too heavy and have limited life spans. Some new tech will change everything. Lambo was working on something but they couldn't get it right in time for the Rev but the new iteration will be legit.

9. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Interesting points you make, I’m finishing restoring a 2003 Merc 350SL (R230) and that has been a pain to get parts for. Surprisingly older models like the “pagoda” are relatively easy to get parts for. It may be possible that the more recent Ferraris will suffer the same fate as parts for my SL. Getting people to work on the cars is increasingly difficult as a lot of mechanics I come across are simply parts fitters.

Increasingly, I think if you’re really a luxury manufacturer you should be offering an upgrade path with replacement tech etc. as it comes on stream and older parts aren’t available. Today, I wouldn’t buy an EV or a hybrid without a battery upgrade path - but that’s just me. Ultimately I’d like a flux capacitor and retractable wheels but I guess that’s a ways off!

TrapperDog and rg88 like this.
  10. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Batteries were always the "wrong" solution; heavy, production is environmentally unsound, required materials are in short supply for a mass transition from ICE, power distribution for charging is not in place to support the same.

Hydrogen is the way forward but "lost" earlier due to its high cost of production. As more electricity is generated from green sources Hydrogen production becomes cheaper and greener, it can even act as a "store" for when electricity production exceeds demand (overnight, etc).

Generating electric from Hydrogen enables the car manufacturers to maintain their investment in electric car design and just replace the "engine" with a Hydrogen Cell or rthey evert back to Hydrogen based ICE – the next 10 years are going to be very interesting, I see little future for long term battery based vehicles.

AES likes this.
  11. KL runner

KL runner Karting

Jul 25, 2023
    Not in US
    That is not quite right . You are able to understand the state of the battery by engaging with a dealer to have it tested

12. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    To the untrained eye, it seems like the 2023 GTB cars out there are priced very close to MSRP at this point. Am I correct or were prices that much lower in 2023? Perhaps this helps shorten the line for those of us on the Heinz program (the best things come to those who wait?).

13. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    When I look at the pre owned Ferrari site those listings still look 50k over sticker?

14. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    typically 40 to 50K over msrp has been my experience.

15. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    I guess maybe I'm comparing to my GTS build which is about $455k, which is nice but I not Atelier or anything crazy, I'd say a moderately optioned car. Where are GTB builds pricing out? So few actually show a sticker in ads.

16. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    #566 Jlee504, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Seems like the gtb barebones is 350k then 375k with normal options and 400k or above if you get really fancy. Without the af pack that is

preowned site has pages and pages of 296 gtbs. You can’t ever seem to get to the end of it

17. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    GTB usually $400k up to $430. $420 is the sweet spot for me.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    So there seems to be plenty of decently equipped cars for sale in the $410 - $420 range "asking". That means, at least to me, it can be bought close to MSRP once you negotiate a little bit...

19. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    Correct. A little higher if you want delivery miles or close to that.

20. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    So perhaps if people see they can not just purchase the car and flip it again for 10-20% more, they will be more reluctant to purchase? I mean right now I get over 5% on my money market accounts.

21. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    There are a lot of cars with very few miles for sale, leading me to believe those people purchased to sell and profit, not to own. They could have made $20 grand with their money sitting in a bank over the same period of time and had a lot less hassle. I guess they wouldn't get to put 300 miles on their Ferrari, but they also wouldn't have to insure the cars, which likely eats into that profit....

22. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    exactly. I'm getting same on mine. excellent time to pick up a pre config 296 or do fresh build if willing to wait. I'm in no rush to spend, so I wait for mine to be build and will most likely be 2025 with higher MSRP.

23. cmargosi

cmargosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2024
    So I'm here talking myself into hoping I get a car in 2025 LOL....hopefully before it gets too cold to put down the top on the GTS.

24. rg88

rg88 Karting

Feb 10, 2024
    Montecito
    Full Name:
    rg
    most seem to be folks wanting to build portfolios. My SA in SoCal told me one particular GTB on their floor never even left the building when delivered. It's consigned by the owner who is getting a different allocation, maybe 812 GTS.

SMSD likes this.
  25. SMSD

SMSD Karting

Oct 23, 2022
    Many of the GTBs coming to market are from people who will soon be taking delivery of their GTS. So expect more selection and more cars coming to market in the next 6-9 months.