Possible cause/relief for header/valve guide problems??? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Possible cause/relief for header/valve guide problems???

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355spider96, Nov 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #76 enginefxr, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally downloaded some pics off my camera....here is the #1 reason to replace a failed header ASAP......the longer you wait, the more damage is caused.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Are those the valves I am supposed to talk trash about or are those the ones that never go bad?

I am so confused I don't know what to say.

3. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Brian,
    I think these are the valves that you are supposed to diagnose as GETTING ready to go bad. Otherwise, it's YOUR fault they went bad and you didn't replace them when the car was in for an oil change!!! :)

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You mean the ones that have 13% leakage that all the internet experts here say are still good?

You mean those?

By the way. Why didn't you put a gun to that guys head and make him buy new headers a year ago? This whole thing is starting to smell like your fault.

5. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #80 enginefxr, Nov 16, 2008
  6. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #81 brian.s, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Did the snake bite that?

Maybe we all need to include a full scope test and leakage test with every oil change now?

7. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    These are not bronze color so they will go bad anyway am I understanding this right? :)

8. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
  9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #84 Sean F., Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Here's an idea, why don't you be a jack ass about it dickhead! Did I specifically say YOU were making excuses. In fact I specifically said " It's a known problem, has been known for a long time, yet even when Ferrari sell you replacements, it's the same crap that was on the car to begin with. That is complete and total BS. "

Would you like me to draw a picture and then you can stick it where the Sun don't shine?

There, was that nice. Does it make me cool to be a superior than thou jerk off to you even though I've never met you? No it doesn't.

Take a chill pill. I wasn't calling you out. I was calling out FNA and Ferrari Spa for knowingly and willingly supplying crap to their customers.

I know you supply a lot of good information to people here and they, and I, thank you. There's no need to be a jerk though.

10. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    WOW! Can't wait until Rifledriver gets a load of this post!!

11. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #86 brian.s, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    Seems that just when we can again use this forum for valuable information, the tone turns and the really knowledgable get called out, they lose nothing by going away, if they do it hurts everyone. I know that I glean snippets often to add to my Fcar work and diagnosis, we'll see where this goes.....

everybody knows the problems, and the fixes with these cars but there seems to be daily repeats of the same questions and comments.

12. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    Agreed.
    If more people would LISTEN to what the knowledgeable people here have to say, they could learn alot. But there are alot of people with very little hands on experience with the subjects being talked about that seem to know more than anyone else.

13. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I think a lot of people believe the valve guide thing is overstated because their cars are now 10 odd years old and it hasn't happened to them. I know that's what I thought until last year when it happened to me :)

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

It can and WILL happen.....one day! :p:p

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hey moderators I vote to ban Sean F. as non-constructive.

16. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
  17. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I will second that vote.

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I basically agreed with him and he acted like a 3yr old. Who's being non-constructive again?

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    RD is very capable of defending himself but geeze Sean with over 2000 posts I would think you had a clue of some decorum. But since you don't let me spell it out:

1) Don't post something you would not say to someone's face if you like your front teeth.

2) "jack ass" and "dickhead" is rude and unconstructive and can result in toothloss.

4) And no your post is "not cool" and in this post you do come off like a "superior than thou jerk off"

5) and before you post back about what the other guy said first, don't bother because I'm just going to tell you to "grow up".

OK time to go back to our regularly scheduled programing.

My appologies to the rest of you listening to my rant.

20. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #95 enginefxr, Nov 20, 2008
    Man....I love a good rant!!! Where is the weasel when you need him??? He hasn't been pulling his weight around here, that's for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #96 Sean F., Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    You're right, I should have just ignored his behavior and not replied. I appologize to you 355 owners for filling this post with useless information.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

sean f and billybob. WTF???

Could we pulease keep this at least marginally civil??

thanks,

Dave M

23. bsereda

bsereda Karting
    BANNED

Mar 2, 2007
    As much as I love these cars, I have to agree with the ragging on Ferrari.... AND.. offer this prediction.....

The used market for these cars will crater. Good for us that are looking deals (This is the Mother of all downturns) and also looking past the internal arrogance at Ferrari of piling crap parts and feeble engineering into one of the last icons of masculinity

Let's face it the marginal performance that these cars now give as opposed to 20-30 yrs ago, (now ladies I'm with you just bare with me) is somehow getting lost in today's day and age of high performance sedans that any bozo can drive and never have to worry about a potential sexless marriage because you just wrote a check for a valve job and it kept junior from attending Haaaavaaaaad.

In 6 months, the ignorance and hubris of the purveyors of home equity subsidized luxury goods ala. Ferrari, Maserati, et al. will be offering zero % financing and tent sales like the rest of them. Like GM that thought everyone wanted 21" tires and 6" disc brakes on their 8000 lb. glitzed out SUV's (now facing BK), Ferrari too will have to pay for their blatant sins of the past... the difference is there is only one Ferrari. Perhaps the NEW management team at Ferrari that will replace the arrogant infants running it now will see that quality + their incredible (but fragile) cache will make them bullet proof in the future - - instead of the next buy out candidate from a middle eastern prince.

Now that I got that off my chest... soon 355's <20K miles will be selling for 45+K; 00-02 360's will drop to 75K, 550's and 575's will be in the 65-80K range.. all A+ examples. The 456's as long as the leather is still on the seats 35K-45k. No joke you can now get a decent TR under 25K miles for high 40's asking!!

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Entertaining post ...... :D!

25. vancoops456

vancoops456 Karting

Dec 21, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    A. Van Coops

This mentality is exactly what fuels the fire. Fear and pessimism are creating an environment that will only make whats bad, worse. Put a smile on your face and hope for the best rather than sulking and hoping that the greatest car manufacturer in the world "gets whats coming to them."