GTV for sale -- more info? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

GTV for sale -- more info?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by FredParoutaud, Jun 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    ?????? What does this mean? Sold, or changed his mind and kept?

Apparently so.

A 400 GT (now owns 4 - 350/400's?) and a Miura appear to be on that purchase list, based on other reports.

Alberto

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No did not purchase another GT...

3. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    yes, as noted on the vlg:

> Attached is a photo of Adam's new Miura at Russo & Steele Saturday
    night
    > right after he won the auction.

4. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    #129 FredParoutaud, Aug 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. TimmyZ1

TimmyZ1 Karting

Jan 13, 2005

What was the overall opnion of the car in this show? I know some of you had to have seen it up close

6. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004

Bob -- you're the winner on this one -- the car didn't even have pedals installed -- here are the VLG posts from Stefano:

>>

Well, congratulations to the lucky fellow who owns the 350GT #1. That's a fine car. I still regret having sold the GTV after the restoration....but I didn't decide, frankly.

As Fred already said, no second GTV was EVER produced. Even the 'first' GTV (i.e. the one I restored) was not really a complete car, as you know. The origins of the mock-up that someone thinks as being the 'second GTV', I've been told weird histories.....it surely never was intended to be finished as a car, only as something to study panel modification on.

Fred, you're right writing that we Lamborghini historians made a lot of mistakes. Lamborghini history is really muddy, in those early years, and Ferruccio was really, so to speak, 'economical with the truth'. But frankly I've never seen in the 'classic books' anything about the second GTV until a few years ago. This concept was created some years ago by people that....well, that's another tale that will be MUCH better over a bottle of Sassicaia or two. It seems that some people cannot live without finding some 'astonishing, previously unheard-of news' to reveal to the world. Like...you will have read of the guy claiming that the Jota was NEVER intended as a racing Miura....? When I told of this to some Lamborghini 'old hands' they simply collapsed in laughter. Alas.....

Ciao

Stefano

--------------

Hi Paul,

the GTV restoration project was very interesting, and the best part of it was researching for the correct parts to fit. The worst was to find a meeting point between the ideas of so many people who, having been at Lamborghini in 1963-64, remembered a lot of things that didn't always match. The restoration of the Urraco 'Rallye' was easier: everything was there, and I found also one 4-valves engine to fit (eventually).

The car didn't have to be lenghtened: the 350GTV engine fits quite easily in the bay without having to change the original Webers (vertical). In fact the bay was designed so that the dry sump engine sits way back and low: putting the engine so way back meant we had to cut a 350GT driveshaft as the production one was too long. The bulkhead/firewall had to be cut accordingly; the other tricky part was fitting the pedals, as they had never been installed.

Frankly, it was everything more or less ready to be completed. Don't believe people who said (before the restoration, but someone is trying to say so even today!) that Ferruccio cancelled the GTV because it was impossible to build it. True those curved glasses were extremely expensive and a nightmare to manufacture and install, the trunk shape was weird, the position of the engine meant noise and heat in the cockpit, but the GTV could be completed in a few weeks and sold.

Ferruccio told me at the time that the half-finished GTV was not the car he wanted. It really wasn't on par with the dramatic drawings that Scaglione had submitted to him at the beginning, so he decided to modify the styling quite radically following the ideas of some friends of him and, of course, of Bianchi Anderloni at Touring (who, incidentally, sketched a very credible idea of the body for the P400 chassis in fall, 1965).

As for the musician, I have tried at the time to track him but I never succeeded. I know he was a very good drum player in La Bussola, but nobody seems to remember his name. Again, I have been told he took delivery of the first car ever sold to a private customer....but was this the first car ever produced?

For the 'booze' section of this list: being an old-style wine collector, I still prefer to the various Ornellaia, Sassicaia, etc a well-maintained bottle of mr Biondi Santi's 'Riserva' Brunello di Montalcino (not the 'Annata'). I have a decent collection of those bottles, and they're good for the really special occasions.

Ciao

Stefano

----------------

7. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #132 EMILIO, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    i talked about this in post # 43

is him Pasini speacking? i am sure he is

he helped Emilianauto owner making the car functioning
    i have an article somewhere on an italian mag. of the early 90's i think where they show and explain how they put the car toegether

he told the engine was out of the car and had to be modified since, as it was, it could not fit under the bonnet (too tall i think)

BTW: a pity Pasini looks not so much interested in lambo today, he was one of, if not the best, tester-writer of good old days

8. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    What does Pasini make for living by now ?

Does he still own that Silhouette ? I remember he create its Registry...

Emilio, I don't share your comment : "...if not the best, tester-writer of good old days."
    He is/was well introduced by his cousin/Emilianauto to Lamborghini factory, so he got better informations than so many others...but he never was a good tester/writer like Paul Frère, Phil Hill, José Rosinski...

9. ilrglen

ilrglen Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2005
    Yorkton, SK, Canada
    Full Name:
    Glen Kohut
    Pasini still does writing. He wrote a book for the factory on its history recently but I don't remember what it was called.

10. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    he is a doctor

i think he sold it to factory (some say it is still his but the car is ALWAYS there...)

simply i forgot to add in Italy...compared to most period italian testers-writers he was great, compared to today's standard italian articles he is almost a god ;)

i think Pasini's worcks were really enjoiable

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    He does not have that Silhouette any longer. I think its in the Museo Lamborghini...

I agree, Pasini was not in the same league as the aforementioned. His text was in poor English and difficult to read or understand. I dont know how most of it got published. In fact, I will go on to say that whilst he knew some of the founding members of Lamborghini, many of his assertions are notably lacking in any documentary proof whatsoever, and I consider some of them to be his opinion. Obviously, many of us have differing opinions!
    Im not knocking Pasini, but simply making factual observations about the work he has put forth. Great Lamborghini enthusiast however.

12. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #138 Olivier NAMECHE, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so this is his ex-one...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
  14. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    BTW: a white sil. is really beautiful

15. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    Joe,
    his texts were a good read in Italian

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK, good to know.

17. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Did he sell it for a piece of bread to Audi (which is not found of spending money on Vintage for its Museo...) in exchange to continue to contribute and to remove dust from his own writting with Audi 's approval ???? Who said I'm not clever ?
    I still remember that series of 5 yearly books (not under Audi era) that were just "repetition"...
    Olivier

18. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #144 EMILIO, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    he writes very little on lambos now....so much less compared to 10-20 years ago that i really do not think it is the case

i am going to guess he sold it for more or less market value years ago (so not so much liras...;) ) when the museum was at the beginning and they were really adding cars

are you talking about the catalogue book? or the 5 automobilia numbered ones ?

19. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    => ...the 5 automobilia numbered ones

20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    i have all of them
    pretty nice items...sure you are correct most articles were already published elsewhere

21. ilrglen

ilrglen Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2005
    Yorkton, SK, Canada
    Full Name:
    Glen Kohut
    In period photos of the GTV it sure looks like there are pedals installed. Or was Pasini refering to the 350GTV mockup that Tonino owns?

22. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    he helped restoring the "real deal" years ago in Italy, he has nothing to do with the mock up

23. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    in the aforementionned Automobilia 5th volume, Pasini wrote an article, his cousin's workshop EmilianAuto & employees did the work on the "real one". Pasini's help was limited to chase informations, drawings, diagrams at factory or spare parts that could be used for restorations as Oracio reported to me.

Glen, in period pictures shooted by Coltrin (see Zagari collection) there is only one pedal : throttle, but clutch nor brake ones...

24. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    #150 EMILIO, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    yes,
    with helping i did not mean he was stripping the car or rebuilding carbs with his own hands...he does not look the kind of guy that likes to get his hand dirty on cars! if you have seen him in recent times at least ;)

p.s. it looks he likes more air cooled porsche today :(