How much feedback through steering wheel.... | FerrariChat

How much feedback through steering wheel....

Discussion in '348/355' started by chrmer3, Aug 26, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 chrmer3, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,
    How much feedback through steering wheel over bumps do you guys get? I just replaced ALL my suspension bushings, sent my shocks for rebuild & bushing update to Rob @ DeltaVee, new rotors & pads.....so my suspension is about as close to "as new" as could be expected.

Here is my question. over bumps I get a shudder through the steering wheel with what feels like an occasional "void"? Play I guess you could say.... Not a Lot but enuff to irritate me. Yes was there before suspension/alignment work as well as before wheel swap from stock wheels to these.

I have read this post:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135678223 May be exactly what I have, just want to know what you guys steering is like.

I am all for ripping chit apart & spending money ;) Just want to know if perfect "no play on bumps" steering is possible with the 348...

Almost seems like they should have put a steering stabilizer on her to avoid the snapping back on the steering wheel when you hit bumps...

Driving on smooth roads is not an option in South Carolina ;)

Tips, more thoughts etccc appreciated. I may just rip the rack out since all the tie rod ends etc.. are (appear) fine.

Here is the latest pic with the Stillen cross drilled rotors, this thing stops better than anything I have owned now, Brakes rock! Thanks Stillen!!

Chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I've never gotten a "void" emptyness in steering feel. Steering is quite tight (Ferrari may have even used our 348 steering linkage on the Enzo).

If you have sensitive fingertips then you *can* feel every bump in the road through the 348 steering wheel, but not in a bad way.

Do you get the void when the steering wheel is in the same place every time?

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    You think you have crap roads in South Carolina? The roads I drive my 348 here are near on goat tracks! :p But I never have a shudder through the steering wheel mate. My 348 soaks the bumps up nicely. Are you sure everything is tight under there after the rebuild? Its really hard to diagnose over the net mate. But maybe you should have another look under there and maybe have a good look at the steering rack ends also. :)

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Come on down the road and drive my little challenge car today, then you will know

5. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gotta be my rack bushings as described in the thread I read. Everything external to the rack is fine. Just the shudder over bumps about exactly as described by that post. I will rippe'r out & fix it!

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

You can still check the rack bushes while its in the car. Maybe you should check them before you rip it out? Remove the steering rack boot and then see if there is movement in the rack bushes. Give it a firm shake, where the steering rack end screws on. Wont be hard to see if they are worn. Hell.....you can even jack the front up and shake the wheel left to right and see if there is any movement there. ;)

7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Now there's the Tip-of-the-Day!

8. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like a great idea. I will print this & take over to my service guy. Hope they can find it, this is my last hurdle & she (knock on wood) should be about as road ready mechanically as she can be!

9. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    SUCCESS!
    Did not even hafta remove the rack. Upon inspection everything was fine except the pinion had 15/1000's of end shake. Adjusted the endplay & put her at 3/1000's.

She is tight! My mission is now complete. Handles perfectly now.

Thanks for the input to motivate me to reslove this.
    Chris

10. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia

Gold Coast roads are smooth !!!

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Nice fix!

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Now what did Unlce Pap tell you?? What did he tell you?? :D:D Simple fix is what you want! Good to hear its solved. Enjoy your bad boy 348 in good health mate. :) Cheers.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    So thats where my $30K a year in tax goes........:D:D