Just changed my headlamps on 355 | FerrariChat

Just changed my headlamps on 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by chaa, Jan 31, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #1 chaa, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a couple of pictures to show the difference between standard (passenger) and HID Xenon (drivers RHD). Job was a breeze and took about two hours all in. Easy to use the standard 355 system for adjusting the beam and no problem with dazzle. The side lights bulbs are also being replaced with matching LED bulbs to give a matched appearance. Anyways enjoy .....or not
    MB: Pictures dont realy do the lights justice, the Xenon are a very bright blue light compared to the cream colour of the standard units.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Very nice and a safety feature as well.

You can try the following link for Hoen. They make exceptional xenon-compatible bulbs. I have used them myself.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/fog2.htm

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Looks nice chaa!

As an aside to the US folks - Isnt it required by law to have the auto height adjustment ballasts with the Xenons to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

4. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Also a requirement in the UK, they are illegal without.

Hope it will pass the MOT Chaa!!

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    eing that my illegal straight pipes and my equally illegal track day only aftermarket exhaust system passes the MOT, i bet ya £500 it will:)

6. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Tell me about it. LOL!!!!!

7. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Very nice upgrade. Every time I drive mine at night, I think of doing the same thing.

Darrell.

8. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    So it took a little over 6 years to post the pics???or using someone elses pics? I want to see your cars lights. Oh and did you notice better visability or not? JJ

9. JZ TWINS

JZ TWINS Karting

Sep 5, 2006
    Looks great. Are they the 6000K bulbs?

10. ferrone

ferrone Karting

Aug 20, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Don
    put a set of those on my hummer. their good and bright but the down side is that there is no high beam. the lights are very bright (8000k)

11. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Camera prolly was not set right.

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice work chaa. :) They are average lights from the factory, so I am sure these work great. :)

13. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #13 chaa, Feb 1, 2007
    Two more pics. The top pic shows that the drivers side (RHD) has had its side light changed to a brighter Xenon look LED bulb. The opposite side still has the standard units fitted. So you can clearly see the difference in the two lights.
    The last picture shows all lights done:)
    I cant believe how much they make a difference in the amount of clear light produced. Although i dont really drive much at night,this is recommended dudes.

14. sunline

sunline Karting

Dec 23, 2004
    Ashburn Virginia
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Looks nice! Are these just replacement bulbs or a HID system? Where can you buy the HID system / kit?

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The LEDs look sweet.

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I have a link for that on my home computer which I will attach later.

BTW, the average HID is 4,500-5,200 Kelvin. Higher ratings do not make brighter lighting. It's a different color ban which is more blue.

So, in reality, higher Kelvin ratings will give less clean light!

17. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
  18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    chaa, has once again come through with great upgrade advice!! I will shopping this weekend for these lights :D !

19. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #19 chaa, Feb 2, 2007
    Here is the company i bought the kit from, but its in the UK. http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ and here is the kit http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=332
    In one of the pictures i have posted you will see the standard driving bulb and also the longer Xenon bulb. So the rear of the bulb holder has to have a 12mm hole drilled into the center of the cap so the rear of the new bulb can sit inside the cap. The caps are cheep enough at £6.00 (UK) each if one wants to revert back to standard.
    Yes the side lights are only Xenon look LEDs, these are not a direct replacement because the LED bulbs are so small. Once the side lights are taken out 9mm holes were drilled in the rear of each light next to the standard bulb holder to mount the LEDs. I found this mounting system easier than slaving a donor LED holder like say that of a BMWs, to my standard loom. So doing it the way i did the standard system can be converted back much easily by taking out the LEDs and using the standard bulbs again. Although the 9mm holes could not be seen if reverting back to standard, if one really wants to one can always buy another set of side lights which are cheep enough.
    The kits ballast is either bolted or cable tied to the inner front wing/light pod space. I opted for cable ties due to my not wanting to drill holes in metal.
    Hope this s iht helps in explaining roughly how it was done. i have loads of pictures that i took to document the conversion when anyone is ready to do it;)

20. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Think about it mate, all 6 or all 8. The bottom driving/fog lamps, the main beams, the full beams. And the LED side lamps;)
    I have orderd another set for the bottom round driving lamps yesterday.

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Who from? HIDS4U??

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
  24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Brilliant! So how are your 355's "harmonic resonators" doing?? :)

25. Dice996C4S

Dice996C4S Karting

May 7, 2006
    Cerritos, CA
    I've done this mod last night as well.. very Nice... I did use the brand McCulloch though since based from experience, they are the best. Some HID kits have a delay on either left or right power when turned on. McCulloch powers on at the same time...

For those interested, this is where I got my kit from: http://www.hid-sin.com/mc5000k.htm