Just got my 1990 348TS gets hairy over 100mph! | FerrariChat

Just got my 1990 348TS gets hairy over 100mph!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Headrips, Jun 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Headrips

Headrips Rookie

May 24, 2010
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi guys, I just got my 348 after shopping for almost 2 years, and i'm scared to take it over 100mph because the front end gets so light....is this normal, or do I just need to sharpen my skills? What a sweet car, otherwise...

2. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #2 TheOnlyest, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    Totally normal actually, you may want to add the front air splitter, it really helps stabilize the front end at high speed.
    Also, congrats!! And welcome to the Brotherhood!!

3. ricardo teixeira

ricardo teixeira Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Luanda / OPorto
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Teixeira
    Don't forget to keep the original boot weight:

- ToolKit
    - Spare Wheel
    - Carcover
    - Document wallets

4. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Yup what Steve said, and welcome Bro :)

5. ricardo teixeira

Sep 2, 2009
    Luanda / OPorto
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Teixeira
    I have to take your world for it... on the early 348's that is...

They were all updated over here by the dealership network.

Nevertheless, my 125mph run just felt rock solid. I even jerked the steering a bit to tease, and nothing...

I guess the GTS mods really do make a diference...

6. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #6 Saint Bastage, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
    Isn't that why spacers were recommended and later factory installed on the SS? Also, my SS was a bit loose near 125 until I had a pro look at the suspension. Turned out the setup was wrong.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What specific tires are you using and what are your tire pressures, front and rear?

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Do you know if the suspension bushes were ever changed/refreshed? I once read on here (can't remember which thread) that handling issues described in a particular 348 turned out to be that it was running on suspension bushes that were about 18 years old. Once these were changed for new bushes, the handling issues disappeared.

Sorry, I know that's very vague... hopefully it's enough to jog someone's memory and find the original thread. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. Headrips

Headrips Rookie

May 24, 2010
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks guys! I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how....I'm running bridgestone potenza pole positions on 355 wheels......tires are at 31.5psi front and 32.5 psi rear....does the air splitter really help?

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I can say that putting 25mm spacers on the rear of my 1989 helped higher speed stability. I wuld guess the splitter would also help, but try adjusting the tire pressures first, that made the biggest difference for me. I ran about 32 psi in the rear and 34 in the front on Pirelli P Zeros. If the tires are over 6 years old I would change them out to some Yokohamas or maybe Michelins if you have the budget for it. My Pirellis were terrible about tramlining and made the car feel skittish at speedalthough I only felt threatened above about 120 or so.
    :)
    BT

11. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Proper alignment and suspension settings + quality tires should fix your problem. I have a 1990 TS that is rock solid to 135 MPH, which is as fast as I have driven it. The car was very difficult to drive when purchased... tires were worn out and settings all wrong. This isn't an easy job so be sure to trust your work to a shop with experience in setting up 348's. My shop took 4 hours to get things right.

I also have 25mm rear spacers, however they were on the car so cannot say if they make any difference or not.

348's are more demanding to drive at all speeds. Compared to a 308/328, they are a completely different ride.

12. jmiff348

jmiff348 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the forum!

I've had my 348 spider above 100 mph several times; once at -or just slightly above- 120, and it did not feel squirrely at that speed. That particular straight stretch just wasn't long enough. The suspension setup (to my knowledge) and wheels are stock.

13. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I am surprised that anyone said it was 'normal' to feel light in the front at only 100 mph. I say only, because relative to what this car is capable of, 100 mph is not much. I would check what kind of tires you have (high performance -vs- cheapos and that they are the proper size), air pressure when cold, alignment settings, suspension (look for worn shocks or other parts that may be worn), and if all aero parts are in place and secure. The reason I say that is that the 348 should be very stable at that speed. I remember having our 348ts up to about 170 mph on a drive home and it was very stable even at that speed. Also, what kind of road surface are you on? That car should feel very stable at 100 mph on the highway.

14. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Yes, it helps! Needs to stick out about 1.5" to move enough air over the car.

15. ricardo teixeira

Sep 2, 2009
    Luanda / OPorto
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Teixeira
    +1

I recently drove a 997 and had new stat-of-the-art Yokohamas on the rear.

The car was just undrivable between 100 and 125mph, and far from trying to go above that!!!

With OEM tires, it feels rock solid up to 170mph.

Incredible!!!!

16. ricardo teixeira

Sep 2, 2009
    Luanda / OPorto
    Full Name:
    Ricardo Teixeira
    With my GTS, I just drove it a few miles before putting it on the lift for the big one.

Nevertheless I pushed it thru traffic, went up to 125mph, braked hard, jerked the steering... and I must confess that even with standard setup (even 16 year old Expedias) I did not feel any odd reaction... everything was spot on...

But we also have knowledge thar early 89's and 90's were called back by dealers to change the complete front end, under some brand notice.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    alignment....

most of these cars have never had one since the day they were new..

18. Headrips

Headrips Rookie

May 24, 2010
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks again...I've got 25mm spacers for the rear and I'll have the setups checked next week when it goes in for a timing belt and throwout bearing (ouch)! I'll post back when done!

19. Headrips

Headrips Rookie

May 24, 2010
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What about 15mm spacers on the front, would that help?

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    nothing worn out or broken
    chassis rake
    alignment...go to a race shop...you will be glad you did...forget everyone else
    tire pressure

When I raced my 91 348ts I spent most of my time over 120 and it was rock steady. There are many tricks to getting it right. Getting it wrong pays big penalties because the 348 chassis is very tunable like a real racecar. That is it's blessing if you like to drive fast and it's curse if you are mostly a waxer/polisher depending on the expertise (or lack thereof) of others.

21. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    #21 jm348, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is from my 355...super stable. The one at 180 is too blurry. My 348 was always stable as well. Frequently did well over 150 with her!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    #22 jm348, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig

Jeff.

No evidence :)

Hope your well.

Craig

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #24 gothspeed, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Great 'closed course track' pics Jeff :)!!! In my experience the 355 is very stable at high speeds!

25. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    All pics are from a "track" of course ;)