Mounting a front horse (cavallino) | FerrariChat

Mounting a front horse (cavallino)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambi America, Jun 20, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Jun 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Every time somebody orders a front cavallino fromt Ricambi, they ask me "how do I attach this thing to my 348 grill?"

Well, my personal solution was about $1.23 worth of aluminium gutter flashing from Home Depot, some tin snips, and a little bit of patience. My installation is absolutely discreet, and when mounted on the car, you'd have to really be looking for the brackets.

The tin strips were cut into about 1.5cm wide strips, then rounded on each end. I wrapped around the grate, and drilled a hole through both ends of the strip. The stud from the cavallino slides right through, and voila! You're done.

It works. It's cheap. It looks great. What more could a brother want?

(my pictures are a bit shaky... too much Diet Coke this morning)

I have attached some pictures for the Fchat archives:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1Flaherty and vcappp like this.
  2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice. Good info for the archives!
    :)
    BT

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Great job Dan!!

4. jhsalah

jhsalah Formula 3

Apr 10, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Jawad
    Daniel, this is great, thanks -- Incredibly fortuitous since I just posted (yesterday) a question about the lack of front Cavallino on my car.
    I'll probably order one from you tomorrow or the next day. Question, though, what kind of tools are required to cut and shape the tin strips (sadly I'm a Manhattan dweller and have no real tools or workshop to speak of). Still a workable solution for me?

Thanks again,
    J.

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Daniel, you stole my thunder! Actually, my piece of tin was for a dryer vent, and it came from Lowes. :)

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Go to WalMart and get you a pair of tin snips in the hardware section. Less than $10. You'll find they come in handy for things besides mounting chrome horses.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Ok, I'll fess up. I used our Henkels kitchen shears to snip my tin pieces. Worked great.

8. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Very innovative solution Daniel.

9. Ronnies348TS

Ronnies348TS Rookie

May 27, 2010
    Chestermere Canada
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks Dan for this post. I used this post to make own and it worked out great. Best part was I did not have to drill my grill!!

10. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Looks perfectly located :)!!!

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Well done. :D:D

12. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    .......red handled snips cut straight or left, green cut straight or right, yellow cut straight. Red are most useful.
    Any will work for this small project, but the yellow handled shears are hard to use when making extended length cuts.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great job Daniel - I just realized this post was revived after 4 years of slumber :)

14. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    #14 gaw111, Oct 30, 2012
  15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

^ NICE :) My worry was drilling the grill, considering the cost of replacement if my drill bit slipped !

16. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Why don't you get some made and sell them as a kit? Business opportunity for you there! :)

17. gaw111

gaw111 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2012
    Rainelle WV
    Full Name:
    George Wheeler
    Selling these sounds too much like work! ;-) Besides from what I've seen, most have installed them already anyway.

If anyone does this, make sure to put the brackets on with the cavallino attached and use small vice grip pliers to hold it in place. Drill a hole in the bracket and grill at the same time so the hole matches perfectly. Then just pop rivit it in place.

The guy I bought the car from never modified anything on the car, he told me it came from the factory that way. It still had the license plate bracket on the front grill, that came off the next day!!! I'm pretty much the same though, I love the way the factory put her together, I just wanted to make a couple of things stick out, like shiny Cavallinos (front and rear) and Scuderia badges on the wings. Just sharing ideas with the Brotherhood! All the info I get for free here, I don't mind sharing.

18. TomPDX

TomPDX Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A few isles down from those shears at Home Depot you can find "plumbers tape", which is a thin, flexible roll of pre-drilled metal about 1/2" wide. Works great for stuff like this, mounting radios, etc. Very easy to bend and cut.

19. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #19 i-velocita, Jan 5, 2013