Anyone ever re-dye a spider top? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever re-dye a spider top?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Gershwin, Dec 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #1 Gershwin, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Has anyone had success at redying the canvas top? What kind of results can one expect? Mine is a little faded, looks charcoal. Is it complicated to do? Is it dyed in place or removed? Otherwise how do you guys wash it, after perhaps every 4th wash I will soak the top to remove dust otherwise I'll wash the car and just run a lint roller over the top.

Thanks

1st picture shows w/ late afternoon sun, more faded than reality.

2nd mid-day, looks pretty good but it isn't that black.

sorry I don't have better pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    #2 chaa, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes i did min only last month. I got the hood dye from www.europaspares.com in the UK were i am. Its a paint on liquid and its very simple to use. And gives a deep black finish to the hood grain. Heres the product... Recomended.

3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Stop dude! Before u do anything, try reimpregnating your soft top - no I don't mean it that way. Cheesh, go to any BMW dealership/parts store and buy the convertible top restorer. Use it as directed and the finished product will be a darker top that will shed water like an oily duck (oxymoron?). Redying is an extreme step, IMO.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I purchased the BMW cleaner and resealer/restorer some time back. Tomorrow I'll do a before and after photo shoot of my 348 to help others decide if the BMW cleaning products are good enough, or if re-dying is their best option.

Somebody remind me to take some photos when I go clean the car!

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Oh, cool. I'm curious what ur experience is. It really made a total difference on my car - day and night, so to speak. My top was faded but not a great deal. It's hard to tell how far gone Gershwin's is.

6. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks Nodoubt - looking forward to the after shots and your thoughts on the application process.

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh, i thought the original question was about dying the roof, so i answerd:(
    Had you asked about cleaning it then i would have said that i used a product to clean it first befor it was re-dyed. After all my car is 11 years old;)

8. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Chaa,

I have the Renovo kit to use on my 348 Spider, how easy was it to do, any pics of before and after.

Regards,
    Phil.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have no before and afters mate. But i will say that the job only takes 30mins max and does a cracking job. The dye does not streak even though its painted on with a brush and restores the hood back to a deep black:) Cleaning a hood on a 10 year old cars hood will not get the hood back to a deep black state due to sun fade.

10. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    Thanks chaa, one more job to add to the list!!

Phil.

11. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways