I would like a P/4 however ............ | FerrariChat

I would like a P/4 however ............

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by [email protected], Jun 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel
    I would like a P/4 however the “real deal” is out of my reach.

BUT what about a kit car or as some call it a replica?

I have a completely outfitted shop so the build is possible.

I have found two venders they are;

http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcrp4.html
    They are in Detroit Michigan my back door.

The other is
    http://www.baileyedwardscars.co.za/P4.HTML
    BOKSBURG, SOUTH AFRICA a bit of a hike.

I now own a 1988 Ferrari TR but don’t want to take it out and hammer on it as I understand transaxle is not shall we say robust.

As far as the two units go RCR is set up for ford or Chevy power but ford, which would be like rubbing salt in a wound wouldn’t you agree?

Now the Bailey on the other hand is set up for a BMW V-12 or Ferrari 400 each kit utilizes the Porsche transaxle.

Where I reside one can burn up the roads as it is sparsely populated.

I suppose a quick fix would be a Dodge Viper or Corvette but it’s just I love the look of the P-4.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks
    Charles

2. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    BOTH looks good..but is your $$$

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Build one! I helped my Cousin build his Cobra years ago and it was a great journey. I'm still undecided on what my next project will be (current satellite V10 project still underway) but a P4 or a GT40 is on the radar.

4. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Go for a test drive and if you like it get them to build it for you. It is likely that your time spent in other pursuits will be much more profitable.

A sincere note from the owner/builder an Ultima GTR.

5. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Call Fran at RCR. I am positive they have built P-4's replicas with Ferrari V12 power. Best bet would to use a 400 series engine converted to carbs and coupled to a ZF Transaxle. RCR will build to order if thats what you prefer.

Sounds like fun!

Terry

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought the RCR P4 can take a 348 engine on. I was talking to him a year ago and he said that was a real option and what I would do.

7. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Bob Norwood did a C4 powered P car that was pretty nice.

8. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hammer it, just don't try to lay 50ft of rubber on startup.

9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    If I were you I would stick with real Ferrari's. Even if you had the money, Jim has exclusive rights to the P 4/5 so that another one cannot be built. (I think)

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This is about (P3/) P4, not Jim's P4/5.

11. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    I think that means PF can't build another one.

12. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes so another "real" one can't be built.

However independent shops building replicas of any car I don't think are legal either. Putting a Ferrari badge on a Fiero has got to be against some kind of copyright or trademark.

13. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Oh ok.

Still, I am not a fan of replicas. :)

14. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    The Baily with a tuned 400 engine would be a fun little road rocket.

Darrell.

15. wheelman76

wheelman76 Formula 3

Feb 22, 2004
    Midwest
    That p4 looks really cool, i say you should do it. and post pics as you go along the way.

Anyone have any idea if you were to put a ferrari engine in it and whatnot how comparable a car like this would be in terms of driving experience to the real deal?

16. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    It's perfectly OK if for private use. Like if you put a Toyota badge on your Touareg, nobody can come after you.

17. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    build the replica P4. that company of the first link for example specializes in building them. i am sure that you would be blown away by their products. there is nothing wrong with Ford or Chevy engines. they are among the best in the world for high-performance applications. and ignore any purist attitudes that may give resistance --who cares. the replica will be modern-equipped and more user-friendly than the real one. and the real P4 is virtually out of reach from everybody. a replica is built for this very reason. in fact, your thread kindles excitement for replicas. i'd love to have that yellow P4 pictured on the site of the first link. wow.

18. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel

Hi bonzelite

I think you hit the nail on the head!

Yes and American power plant would be cost effective (but I just couldn’t bring myself to put in a Ford engine in a P-4 only because of the pissing match that Ford and Ferrari were in you know the GT-40 thing!)I looking for six to eight hundred hp that is also doable with a US power plant.

RCR would be convenient looks like a good product.

It was also said about putting a Ferrari badge on the car…….my feeling is this I have a (Real Ferrari) and I would never put a Ferrari badge on a kit car …….Well maybe I would if I used a Ferrari engine …..Maybe?

Thanks
    Charles

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    If it has a Ferrari engine in it, why not? Enzo himself said that the engine is the Ferrari, the car he throws in for free to support the engine. :)

You probably should talk to Paul Skett, who knows all there is to know about P4 replicas. He might even steer you in the right direction to buy one.

The Ford engine is an insult in the P4 for the reasons you state. If cheap American hp is the goal, then I'd buy the GT40 replica from RCR with the appropriate power plant: You'd end up with the correct engine for the car and a replica you can actually take to the track (same would be true for a RCR P4 with a 348 power plant).

20. Kingair33

Kingair33 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I Know I might get flamed in this thread and I know it is your money to do with as you please but since you asked the question... what is wrong with enjoying your TR and admiring/enjoying the beauty of a real p/4? If you create a copy that is all you still will be able to do, the feel, the sound and the history will all be completely different. You will only have a moveable piece of art, and what is the difference between that and a thousand pictures? People won’t ask you if the pictures are real or not. You cannot create copies or own every car you see so why not enjoy the one(s) you have and admire the many works of art designers have created. A TR is not a bad car by any stretch of the imagination so enjoy it. Just my thoughts.

21. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    The P4 is a great replica from RCR. I have had the same thoughts. Though the argument about it not being "real" may be valid, the replica will probably be a better car in many ways than the original. The downside is limited resale. The upsides include reliability, ease of maintenance, customization, and the joy of knowing you built it yourself (assuming you choose to do the work). As for the general public, I find they accept a replica even better than a real car. Most people figure it took a lot of time and effort and they seem to respect that, as opposed to you just being some rich bastard that can afford a Ferrari.

And there is a used 360 motor and F1 gear box for sale in the classifieds.

BTW:

kit alone with options will probably be 45k complete.
    Turn key minus = 65k.
    V12 drivetrain from Ferrari = 20 motor plus 10 tranny.

2200 pounds - should be a fast little bugger.

22. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel
    Your words are well said ………they eco what my Dutch friend has said.
    However it would be fun to have a generic Ferrari P 4 and what would the harm be?
    Thanks
    Charles

23. chuckkegel@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles R. Kegel
    Thanks for your understanding about Ford power don’t get me wrong the GT-40 is a wonderful car however it. Is like oil & water regards to Ferrari

How may I contact this Paul Skett?

Regards
    Charles

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A good GT40 replica like the one from RCR or from Superformance is the only non Ferrari exotic I would ever consider to own.

The RCR P4 will blow any real P4 away. The car is engineered with modern technology, so it should be a hoot to drive.

I sent you a PM with Paul's email. He knows everything when it comes to P4 (real or otherwise).

Please keep us posted about your project. One of these days I need to visit RCR to check out the cars for myself. I might just visit you, since we're practically neighbours.

25. kmoneith

kmoneith Rookie

Feb 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kevin Monteith