348 foglight curse -- Help? | FerrariChat

348 foglight curse -- Help?

Discussion in '348/355' started by potxoli, Mar 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    So no sooner am I done reading daniel's warning about putting clearbra on 348 foglights and thinking "I should do that one of these days", that I get a freaking bolt kicked up at me on 95 and it shatters my driver side left fog light just today. This s*cks, driving season is about to start again and my pretty repainted front end looks like crap with a broken fog. AARGH.

Daniel doesn't have any USA fogs available. He might be able to get me french ones but they are yellow, don't know how that would look like on red....

So I'm calling out to the brotherhood, if anyone has a spare left driver side fog, I'd love to buy it off of you. Or drop me a line if you think you know where I could get one.

Thanks!

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Man I feel for ya. My 328 suffered a similar fate the year before last. Why do F-car fog lights have to be so difficult to replace? Good luck finding a replacment.

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Don't sweat it..

I don't think Yellow will look bad. Actually, I think it will look good.

Put the yellow on, keep checking eBay for someone parting a 348 out.
    They do pop up on there.

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Speaking of......... Daniel are the 355 fog lights still available?? Nothing wrong with mine but just curious..... :).

5. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

There will be something wrong with them sooooon :)

6. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow, Eric, really sorry to hear about that. And today was such a nice day for driving in our area, sorry that it was spoiled by such bad luck.

- Eric

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    :mad:

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes. F355 lamps are no problem.

9. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    thanks everyone for the support. I'm sure I'll find one eventually. Trutlands claims they are in stock so I might call them. Although for the price, I'm wondering if going with a 355 bumper might not be cheaper ;) Or alternatively just have the fogs replaced with brake duct scoops or something by a body shop... maybe that might look cool..

10. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Call Russ at ferrparts.com
    It turns out that they're a kickass company to deal with on used parts, great quality and even better price!!
    I'm not affiliated, just a very recently VERY satisfied customer!!

I'll be showing off the goodies I got from them after I turn some wrenches this weekend!

11. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Let this be a lesson to all of us to cover those things with polycarbon film. I lost one last year and I swear I got the last NOS part in the world! Still, I have been looking for a retrofit to a more modern, but similar appearing part. Yep, they'll be square but that ends the right left thing. Then there's the body filler piece/trim ring necessary. Someone with more skill than I needs to look into this...

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Fantastic!!! :D

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well join the club. I have a busted out driver side fog light. It's been that way for well over a year, and actually I don't care. I'll get a new one eventually, but then I'm gonna put some sort of Lexan cover over it. That way the Lexan takes the abuse. But until I get the gumption I'm just gonna keep on driving it with the busted out fog light.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I got Dan's last fog lamp!!!!! NaNananaaaaa!!!!!

Right side only though or I would send it to you.

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

I put the 3M film over mine. $18 for enough of that mondo-thick stuff to do both fog lights at least twice over.

That being said, the race covers used on the Challenge track cars and 348 Competiziones looks pretty good, too.

Hey, didn't one of the 348 Brothers in Spain do a run of fog light lenses??

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I dunno?

Is there a thread in the Euro section?

17. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  18. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
  19. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I'm all for this idea - I sometimes think an evil looking array of german LED bars would suit the car.

Or http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/images/2476L.jpg which would allow you to leave the pop-up lights retracted & still drive at night.

Heaven forbid I modify a Ferrari, though.

20. Any recommendations for a 3m or lexan cover? Where to buy?/Just cut and place over light, install?? and more info on this??
    TIA

21. modena2904

modena2904 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 6, 2007
    Ellicott City, MD
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is the clear film I used. I selected this one because it was the thickest I could find -- 40 mils.

http://lamin-x.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=272&products_id=106&osCsid=53fd33d5ea49111420501db381157ea3

Two 6"x12" sheets were enough for the fog lights. I made a paper template by tracing the lights, then transferred it on to the film and cut it with an X-Acto knife.

- Eric

22. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    so as an update if anyone is interested, I found out through a vendor that called Ferrari NA that the reason the fog lights on the 348 are NLA is because the original manufacturer (carello?) threw away the mold! Ferrari asked for them to make a new mold, but apparently they wanted a minimum of 200 sets ordered and Ferrari said no way. So here we are.... I have no idea how true this story is, but it is at least partially verified by my personal call to the FOW parts department that said ferrari had a new run on order with the manufacturer but that there was no ETA for it.

Anyhow, I found this tidbit interesting.

23. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Eric,

Daniel has sent me a light to see if I can have the mold made for the glass, AND figure out how to get the glass off and replaced... as I said in another thread, it's a work in progress... but I have a group of engineers primed and ready to tackle the problem.

Sorry to hear about your 'curse' ... we're hoping we can offer a solution...

Mike in Kuwait