anyway to minimize sales tax when buying toys? | FerrariChat

anyway to minimize sales tax when buying toys?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ttforcefed, Dec 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    curious what guys who buy alot of $ toys do wrt to sales tax? unless ur trading in a car and buying another one from the same dealer, is there a way to minimize paying sales tax everytime u buy another car?

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    You technically do not have to buy from the same dealer to get the tax credit when trading in and buying a new one - and you have a year to purchase the next one. Many brokers can do the transaction for you and get the tax credit - even if you go through a private sale - you just do the transaction through them.

Outside of that - unless you have a house or two in other states with less tax and you put your car there (or at least register it there) not much you can do about it.

You could write off some as a business expense (if you own your own business and/or can justify why you would be driving an exotic).

3. regisgtb4

regisgtb4 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 20, 2007
    tx
    Full Name:
    willis
    Put a trailer hitch on it before its delivered and claim ag ex,no tax

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Register it in Montana - no sale tax - many expensive rvs are registered there - can be legal problems though

5. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    Oregon = no sales tax

6. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Buying anything anywhere else in the country would save me on sales tax as I'm pretty sure we have the highest rate here in the Windy City.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There is an attorney in Missoula Montana that specializes in vehicle registration. He was mentioned in a thread here last year. We have many exotic cars registered here that have never entered the state.

8. silver-gt

silver-gt Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    yup...especially if you title in the city.

I havent done it but I think if you live in IL the Montana route is a good option

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    No, it's not. People in Cook Cty (Chicago and a couple burbs) used to buy cars outside the area to avoid the Cook Cty tax. Guess what: you get a tax bill in the mail. In IL you have to pay the IL tax or be subject to fines/penalties. They check for cars but not other items (usually).

Ken

10. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Be careful about registering out of state, or at your second home. Most insurance companies will ask you where is your car kept. If you keep it in a location other than where it is registered you may not have insurance.

11. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Haggarty told me that my arrangements (FL registration, where I have a home) and New Mexico location(where some but not all vehicles are) was ok; they also said it was important that they be notified.

12. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    $100K car, offer $10K for the car and $90K for the books and tools , this way the sale price of the car was $10K :)

13. THudgins

THudgins Rookie

Jan 17, 2008
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Ted Hudgins
    Buy the car when its having an engine out service and pay tax on the chassis. I've done that with boats all the time.

14. First Ferrari

First Ferrari Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2005
    Mahtomedi,MN
    Full Name:
    Christopher Reeves
    In MN I was able to register the car as a collector even though it was a 95 spider. The rule is more than 10 years old and less than 500 per year made or imported into the US. No sales tax and one time plate fee of $99. I wish I could do this my my Merc. My plates went from $135 per year to $700, the law to reduce the plate fee's expired :(

15. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Wrongo, as some states require tax to be paid on the true value of the car, if the bill of sale is significantly less that that value. Done this way to get around people 'giving' cars away for $100.

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When I run into this, I spend a couple of hundred bucks and have an appraisal done. This will work if the car can be valued for less than you're buying it for.

17. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Good idea...I was referring to rather blatant/fraud stuff, but in your case, an appraisal would be a good thing if one turns up a really good deal, vs. a fraud situation.

18. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Nevada changed the law a couple of years ago and if you buy a car from a private party there is no sales tax. You pay the tax if you buy from a dealer. Naturally, my next Ferrari will come from a private owner.

As for the Montana option, you need to set up a Montana LLC and then register your vehicle there. You need to get an insurance company willing to insure a vehicle owned by an LLC. The Montana lawyers can usually arrange that. Each state has their own stance on these vehicles registered out of state so you need to check with you home state as to what liability you will have.

In many regards the coaches are easier to do since the vehicle with out of state plates is not sitting in front of your house for everyone to see. The coach is usually stored at an RV storage facility that is not accessible to anyone but the owners. California has been cracking down on this for a while. They have been stopping coaches with Montana plates to check the drivers' licenses. If from out of CA they let it go. If the driver is from CA they write the ticket and go after taxes and penalties.

19. silver-gt

silver-gt Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    #19 silver-gt, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    Yeah thats if you title your car in the city with a city address, you will get a bill. This car would have a montana tag and registration under a montana LLC so we're talking about 2 different things. there are specific rules for doing it and then re-issuing title in IL but it can be definitely be done in IL. i wouldnt be so quick to dismiss it...what you're referring to is someone going out of the county and buying a car and registering it in the city. That doesnt do anything for the tax, because as you mentioned the outside county collects their amount and then the city sends a bill for the spread. totally different situation.

20. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Ya know... This is so profound... People always say they dont want to pay all these taxes yet they consistently vote over and over for Liberal Democrats and big government Republicans. The solution to this problem is NOT trying to avoid the tax; the solution is to eliminate the tax by voting for people who support true capitalism and freedom....

21. EROB599

EROB599 Rookie

Nov 29, 2008
    Here
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    I think that's an argument for a different thread(Not that I necessarily disagree)

22. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Why do you need to set up an LLC?

23. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #23 Llenroc, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
    You do the LLC so that when you are stopped in your state that you live in it appears as a "company" car. Registered in the LLC name. If you are stopped and you have a CA drivers license but car is registered in a Montana LLC it's just a company car. Even better yet if you have a checking acct in the LLC name and pay for service, for example, out of the LLC you have a record of the LLC actually being "used". Best to use a bank that has offices in both the state you live in and in MT, Wells Fargo for example for me. The part that can be tricky is you need an agent in Montana or use the Montana attorney's up there that do this, they charge quite a bit per year to do the maintainance you need to do to keep the LLC current. I still own property there and I use my sister as my agent so it's inexpensive for me. I still can't get used to the sales tax most of you pay on a car when you buy it, can you Imagine 7% on a new 430!! holy crap I don't mind payin' my fair share but that's just bein' raped IMO

24. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    The LLC is the "resident" of Montana for the registration purposes. It has the Montana address (that of the attorney you use). Their fees are not that expensive for keeping the LLC active compared to the fees you would pay in your home state. I pay under $500 a year for registration and fees on my motor home and the annual fee for plates would be about $4,000 to $5,000 at home.

25. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #25 ddemuro, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The two posters above me said it best, but here are some links for more info:

http://www.mtregisteredagent.org/vehicles/index
    http://www.actionservices-mt.com/
    http://www.davidbjornson.com/RV-REGISTRATION-SERVICES.shtml
    http://www.rvconsulting.com/

Obviously they pitch this to the RV crowd because the tax hit would be more significant for the average RV owner than for the average exotic car owner, but it works for exotic car owners, too. I saw several exotic cars this year in Atlanta, Georgia on Montana license plates (see attached picture).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login