355 Center 'bubbling' Console Replacement Part | FerrariChat

355 Center 'bubbling' Console Replacement Part

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by delaney, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    We are nearly there.

I've had the high resolution image printed and it seems fine.

The problem of the illumination lights shining through were solved by the printer using a double layer of black.

I'm trying to get a final price ... which should still be in the $25 - $1600 range ... :). Obviously we buy in bulk and save, but I still imagine it should be ~$25-30. Not bad for a Ferrari look alike!

As soon as I get the final bit I'll post a piccy and those interested can let me know. I'll count the numbers and get a final price.

Lousy excuse but the delay has been a combination of my travelling and the printers sumnmer vacation.

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    We understand that R&D on such a project takes time to get it right. I'm sure that you will have the final solution soon. There are probably a lot of people out here waiting to see how it comes out. Including me. Keep up the good work.

3. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I'm curious as well

TTG

4. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    That is great news. I know I am speaking for all 355 owners when I say your work is very much appreciated.

Got anything up your sleeve for the rest of the console? You know the
    "I'm melting, I'm melting!" parts that you either must replace or scrape clean and refinish? Not looking forward to that project.

5. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Any chance you can have this fab'd to work on a 456GT. I beleive it has the same dimensions, just a different color...black vs. some chrome looking material (456).

Let me know,

MB

6. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Evening ... I don't see any reason why this could not be done for a 456. It's not rocket science ... just get a high res. photo of a good one and get it printed. I don't mind following up on the printing if someone has the picture.

I should be getting a final 'final' version of the 355 bit very soon. The printer had to go outside his shop and get something special done .. remember the illumination was shining through the original piece ... he tried 2 coats of ink but that failed.

With improvements a bit of a price increase ... but not bad really.

If I get 1 - 10 ..... ~ $61 each
    20 .... ~ $45
    50 ... ~ $30
    125 ... ~ $20 ...

I appreciate everyone's understanding about the delay .. just want to get it right before I tell them to print them.

Regards,

Pete

7. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #7 F456 V12, Jul 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    this is the best I can do. The dimensions seem to be the same as are the functions. Only difference I can clearly see is the color/material. In the end, I may just get a back one. Has to be better than what I have now

Thx.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Sorry .. can't use the image. If I did .. you'd get a flat piece alright .. but it would reflect the bubbles .. you'd get a painting of the problem!

If the dimensions are the same you may be able to cut to size one of the things I'm working on.

It looks as though yours is tapered ... whereas the 355 is a perfect rectangle. As long as the 355 is bigger, so you can cut it down, it should be OK.

Pete

9. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    how is this coming along?? you may want to post this also in the "modern" ferrari section as i know many people would be interested (and tech section isn't frequented as often).

keep us posted!

10. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Peter - Put me down for one. Ready whenever you are.
    Frank

11. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Put me down for two - that way I can screw up the first one!

Must not be any lawyers that own 355's with bubbling consoles and shrinking leather otherwise we'd all be part of a class action suit against Ferrari.

12. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    Bubbling consoles, shrinking leather, Cats, ECU (slow down light), exhaust manifolds, AC Fuses, melting other parts.
    We need a class actiion suit.
    Are any lawyers interested?????

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

Add in pesky "check engine lights", poor A/C, uncomfortable seats, pain-in-the-a** seat belts.

14. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    We can go after Ferrari for defects, not comfort issues. These failures are well document in the past history of Ferrari Chat.
    Now if we could find some one to take the case.
    Ferrari is not going to do anything about these problems unless us owners force the issue.
    Ferrari is well aware of these items and has not done anything.

15. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    Put me down for one. Ferrari's hand should be called for the exhaust manifolds and many other 355 problems. I would join in.

16. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Peter.... Put me down for one..'96 355B

17. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    two here also.

JD

18. 355Aloha

355Aloha Karting

Feb 15, 2004
    Honolulu Hawaii
    Full Name:
    John N
    Put me down for 2
    Mahalo

19. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    I'll take one.

20. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    I wonder if anyone can make this center console bubbling section in carbon fiber....That would really cool on mine because the entire console is carbon fiber except for the center console bubbling section because my car is a Serie Fiorano 355

I will buy it right now!!

21. Rjones355

Rjones355 Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Rancho Murieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Ryan Jones
    I am in the process of making a carbon fiber cover to go over the original bubbling unit. I am making one to try out on my car. It is going to be done next week. It will have all the original graphics, in all the original locations. The only thing is it will not have the illumination at night. I dont mind because its not that bright anyway. I dont know if anyone is interested, it should be ready next week. I'll post a picture if you guys are curiouse what it looks like. Let me know if there is any interest.

Ryan

22. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    The one's I'm having made do have the illumination ... other than probably being very much more rugid than my lexon efforts, what would be the advantage of carbon fiber over lexon?

The only disadvantage I see at the moment with my effort is that the surface does not have the original texture ... that was smoothe. The lexon has the texture of the mirror control unit.. I should be picking up a final example tomorrow night and will post for all to see ... at last!

23. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    Looking forward to it

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Peter, I want to thank you for taking this on. I've been waiting to see the outcome. I think it would be great to see it in CF or Aluminum as well. Maybe the boys making the pedals want to take a crack at it?

25. msage430

msage430 Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Feb 8, 2004
    calabasas
    Full Name:
    mike sage
    I would of bought one But...

I just bought ($1456) a new a/c control... I have my Center 'bubbling' Console for sale...any takers?

Oh ya, and a week latter by car burned to the ground... Hose clamp recall

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25546