CAR ALARM BATTERIES.......... | FerrariChat

CAR ALARM BATTERIES..........

Discussion in '360/430' started by BWS550, Nov 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I HAVE THE CAR ALARM BATTERIES FOR THE BOSCH CAR ALARMS FOR THE 355 AND 360s...

THEY COST F-CHAT MEMBERS $38.00 EACH, INSTEAD OF SPENDING $450.00 OR MORE FOR A COMPLETE ALARM SYSTEM.

EMAIL ME IF YOU NEED THEM..

MODERATORS......PLEASE DONT MERGE THIS THREAD....

THANKS,

BRUCE

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Bruce:

Batteries for the handheld or the alarm in the car?

Art

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I HAVE BOTH...THE PART # IS Z3A120

THE HAND HELD ARE EASY ( PROBABLY A 3 VOLT LITHIUM) BUT HAVE THE MAIN ONE FROM IN THE CAR..

I HAVE SOLD IT TO TONY CIRELLO (SP) AND FRANCES KWON...

ITS A RIP OFF WHAT THEY CHARGE FOR A WHOLE BOSCH ALARM AS YOU ONLY NEED THE 38.00 BATTERY

BRUCE

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Always looking out for other people. You're the man, Bruce...

5. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    BW - My hero!

Actually, the siren box is $550.00 new and the dealer does not sell replacement batteries so it's either a new box or...uhm a new box according to them.

I think these batteries work for model years 2002 and earlier. Don't bother trying to find the replacement batteries anywhere else...been there, done that. No one else was able to actually produce them except for Bruce (even in Europe).

Another f-chatter was kind enough to send me instructions on how to cut open the siren box to remove and replace the batteries. PM me if you need them.

Frances

P.S. Indications that your siren box batteries are dead: 1). the red light on the dash stays lit after you start the ignition and 2). intermittent loud "chirp, chirp, chirp" when you start the car.

6. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    #6 tonyc, Nov 16, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    BROTHER BRUCE - YOU HAVE MAIL. I'M IN.

8. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    Bruce, that's really great of you to have figured this out!!!

I don't have a 355, but can someone explain this to me..........I always thought that car alarms worked off of the cars main battery.........do all alarms have a seperate "siren battery"........how does it work? Are they all different? I'm just a little confused.

thanks

9. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    On the 355 and 360, the main alarm (door locks and ignition kill) are hooked to the main battery. The siren works off the two batteries in the siren box. So, even when the box was removed from my car, the alarm remote would still lock doors and kill ignition like normal. Had it not been for the red light and occassional chirping, I would not have known the siren was out.

Tony - nice pics. Much better than any diagram. Not sure where the box is located on the 360 since I had the mechanic pull it out for me. :(

10. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Thanks Speed, I have more pictures here

http://www.tonycricelli.com/F355/alarm/techart.html

that can guide people as they starting cutting the plastic. Initially I used a razor blade since I did not know what to expect, I think when I cut it open again, I am going to use a circular blade attached to a dremmel tool.
    --tony

11. Dahu

Dahu Rookie

May 21, 2004
    #11 Dahu, Aug 1, 2005
    Thanks Tony for your excellent advise. I had the same symptom on my 360. A visit to the garage confirmed that the problem was comming from a low-battery from the alarm (that's what their box connected to the car said). The guy was kind enough to show me where it is located, and it turned-out to be a very simple operation !!!!

So, on a 360 (year 2000) you just need to remove the right and front panels in the boot, and the alarm is located on the right side (see pictures below). You only need to unscrew a bit (no need to remove them), and the box will slide out easily.

Then I opened it using a cutter, measured around 8V for the 2 batteries in serie, I cleaned the batteries with sand-paper, and voila.....

BTW, the chief-mechanic at my local Ferrari dealer showed me a 550 having the exact same symptom.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The same unit is used on the 550 too. Brother Bruce save me a $1000AUD replacement alarm unit with his battery fix!

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    My alarm batteries are OK for now, but one of my black remotes is dead. Tried new battery, nada. Dealer said needed all new remotes for 1.6M or some idiotic #. I am using other black remote, and red remote works fine.
    Anybody see this happen??

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I thought the bllack ones could be replaced/programmed, but the red master key was irreplaceable.

15. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST SOLD 2 MORE BATTERIES FOR AN FCHATTERS 360

MY PRICE TO FIX.....38.00 X 2 BATTERIES= $76.00

FERRARI DEALER...NEW BOSCH ALARM SET WITH LABOR = $950.00

ANOTHER FCHAT HAPPY CAMPER..

BRUCE

16. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    #16 solly, Apr 22, 2006
    I went through the process describee below for swaping out the alarm batteries. First thing I noticed is a foma type vapor barrier behing my front panel-anyone else have that? Everything wasa hidden behind it (alarm, master cylinder, etc.) and I had to cut through it.

My box looked like all the other boxes, but was really difficult to open. Extremely hard 1/8" plastic that only the Dremel could cut through.

Then I see this: The batteries are different shape and are soldered to the circuit board with really thin delicate strips. no way to remove them without destroying the board. This is a Dec. '01 production 360 spider sold in '02. Anyone have any experience with this?

What do I do now? Where can I buy a Bosch box? (or any other compatible box)

17. sad11

sad11 Karting

Jun 25, 2004
    My 2001 360 alarm makes no noise when I lock or unlock the door. the red light flashes when the car is armed and locked. and solid red when I drive...

Any recommendations, do I need a new battery in the horn like the above picture?

-A

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Forgot about this..............

Bruce any fresh ones around? No hurry if they need to be ordered.

19. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Sorry about all the typos in my last post.

This new style alarm works off NiMH rather than NiCAD batteries (2X3.6 Volts, 140 Mah), and after playing wth it for the past 3 hours, does not appear fixable like the older units where you could just drop in a new set of batteries and go.

So it looks like I (and anyone else with the non-replaceable battery alarm) will need to find some complete Bosch boxes. I have already emailed Bosch Australia where these are made, but I have a feeling it's one of those proprietary Ferrari parts made by Bosch that will cost 10X normal price.

If your red light stays on all the time, and you no longer hear your horn or see your lights flash when you press the remote, then this box is dead in your car as well. You can still remotely lock and unlock the car and drive it, but the red light will remain on.

If anyone has a clue where to get the Bosch alarm boxes kindly post here.

20. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    This is the same situation I had on my 2000, 550 when I bought the car three years ago, with the exception that it did beep when locking and unlocking the doors. The best indication of bad alarm batteries is the alarm light stays on (solid) when the car is driven. I was tipped off to this being a alarm battery problem by another F-chatter, so I removed the alarm, cut it open at the seams with a hacksaw .... found corrosion on the two batteries and contacts. Cleaned them, charged them overnight and my alarm worked fine for about 6 more months ...... I then tried to find replacement batteries ..... searched the whole internet, found a few sites in Europe that listing them , but no luck getting any replies to my numerous inquires ...... so I considered replacing them with an off size battery (correct voltage and miliamp rating, just wrong size/fit) but due to space constraints inside the unit this meant running wires through the case, attaching the batteries externally .... so in the end just sprung for a new unit at the dealership.... around $ 500.00 if I recall correctly. No problems since, but when this one craps out, I'll buy the replacement batteries from BWS550.

I'm certain that if this alarm unit was in a Honda (afterall it's a Bosch unit not a Ferrari unit), the Honda dealer would probably charge $ 100. Welcome to Ferrari-land.

21. ytosun

ytosun Karting

Oct 16, 2004
    Could someone make a pic from the back of the unit, i need to see the connector. I am an electronics mechanic and a have build a lot of alarms into car's.

Normally this unit's are made for more car's and not just for ferrari. But it is possible that ferrari has secured this siren for their own use only, but i am curious about what connector is on it.

Thanx in advance...

22. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    #22 ferrarioldman, Apr 24, 2006
  23. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    BUMPED THIS UP FOR ANY OF THE ALARM BATTERY GUYS AND QUESTIONS

BRUCE

24. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    LISTED BELOW ARE DIFFERENT CAR ALARM BATTERY TASKS

TAKE YOU TIME AND LOOK GUYS

MY OFFICE # IS 888 882 6965

OR NEED BE, MY EMAIL IS [email protected]

BRUCE

25. petrone01

petrone01 Karting

Oct 17, 2005
    Concord, CA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    my 355 alarm stopped beeping when triggering on and off the door locks... any ideas? This happened just after when I replaced my bumper