Photos - July "Caffeine & Octane": | FerrariChat

Photos - July "Caffeine & Octane":

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jul 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had vowed never to go back to "Caffeine & Octane" - unless, of course, I got up real early. Well, on Sunday, I happened to get up real early, got dressed quickly, hopped in the Ferrari, and left the house at 5:50. About 27 minutes later, I was pulling into the lot on Windward Parkway just as it was getting light in the eastern sky.

Even at about 6:20 I'd say the main lot was already over 75% full (not counting "blocked off" spaces) so I headed over to the relative sanctuary of the "restaurant side" and found a space in front of "Mambo Jambo" between a California and a Porsche. I'd say that by 7:00 there weren't more than a handful of spaces left anywhere on the property.

There was a fair European presence, including the usual colorful bunch of Lambos and a scattering of Ferraris, including a nice 250 GTE that I happened to see arriving. But the excess that this show has become was evidenced by a lineup of no fewer than 25 late-model Ford Mustangs parked side-by-side. Subarus, Datsun Z's, Ford Focus ST's and even Honda Civic Si's were all grouped together. (Heck, I used to own an Si, and I never considered it car-show worthy. In my opinion, that still goes.)

Here are some of the Europeans. The last one is a Gaz, which happens to be Russian!:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #3 Gatorrari, Jul 8, 2014
    While I concentrated on the Euro cars, there were some American cars of interest. Naturally, I just had to photograph the Gator Jeep, which had a suitable amount of mud on it; if you don't take your Jeep in the mud at some time, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place! The colorful lineup of AMX's was also attractive.

I've also always been fascinated with the "baroque" Lincoln of the 1958-60 period, with its excessive styling and a rear deck that seems to go on ad infinitum. Its mid-70s counterpart looked like the perfect "pimpmobile". Calling "Superfly"!

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #4 Gatorrari, Jul 8, 2014
    And here's some miscellany. The adorable Husky puppy hung out in my area for some time; I don't think I've seen one with that coloration before.

I decided to leave around 8:30 (and I was far from the first to leave), so if something interesting showed up later, someone else will have to post the photo. I headed to the "alternative" show on GA-92; those photos will go up later in the week.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I drove my 997 TTS to C&O on Sunday and had a blast. I met up with a couple of friends there who had brought their SL55AMG and 67 Chevy SS. There was an eclectic group of great vehicles, from early 20th century cars and trucks to modern exotics. And I like the cruise-in California style gathering of gear-heads rather than the more formal car show event with winners and losers. It was refreshing to see lots of younger people in their Mustangs, WRXs, S2000s, Z cars, ect... They are the Porsche, Lambo, McLaren, Aston and other high-line car owners of the future. As a father of daughters, I also enjoyed seeing several female "car guys' there with their own pride and joy cars and trucks. I'll be back in August...maybe bring my 88 911 Cab or a vintage motorcycle, depending on the weather.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #6 henryr, Jul 9, 2014
  6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the organizers should block off a section for 20 yrs or older cars.....

7. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I went to C&O this past weekend just to look, which was only my 3rd time ever. 1st was still at the Barnes and Noble by North Point Mall, 2nd at the John's Creek High School, so it's been some time between my attendance. You can imagine my surprise to see how it's grown considerably even since a couple years ago. But mainly, what a cIRcUs!!!! It was fun to go and look, and I only went because my sister is visiting from out of town and it was something to do that she'd enjoy, but damn I can't imagine taking a car to that mess. Soooo many people you can barely walk around in places.

Glad the 250GT California replica was there though. That was the highlight for me.

8. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Wow, that 250 GTE takes the title for me, what a stunner!! Thanks for the pics Jim, looked like a great gathering.

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I'm surprised that everyone is not thrilled that so many people with so many different cars and trucks come to this event. Just because someone does not own a car as fast, good looking or as expensive to maintain as your own does not make such cars less worthy. When I was younger, I drove an F85, Vega, Corolla, Celica and many inexpensive cars until I was able to afford Vettes, BMWs, Vipers, Porsche's and Ferrari's. And I washed, detailed and had pride in all of those inexpensive cars. We need more young people with such cars at these events to keep the car hobby alive. Let's invite even more for the August event. I really don't want to go to an event where there are only a bunch of pudgy old men hanging around their expensive exotics, do you?

10. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    +1. That's what it's all about.

11. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    event really needs to be moved to a bigger location..

12. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    I agree... to a point. Yes, if you are enthusiastic about your car, bring it on. Just because you don't drive a big bucks car doesn't mean you shouldn't have pride in it, want to show it off and meet other car folks. From that perspective, C&O is all good. But...

This Sunday was my first time in several months. I told myself I would never go back, but I did because my neighbor wanted to go with me. We showed up at 7:00am. Thought maybe since it was July 4th weekend many people would be out of town and the traffic clog wouldn't happen. Boy were we surprised. Stuck in the traffic jam. Lucky to find one of the last spots in the middle of nowhere. That is no fun. I am not willing to leave my house any earlier than 6:30am on a Sunday morning. What time are all these people showing up? Delighted that there are that many enthusiastic people, but this thing has become like trying to fit ten pounds of flour in a five pound sack. It will be a while before I go back.

A long while.

Jack

13. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    #14 minimn, Jul 9, 2014
    For those who wondered about when cars first arrive at the CarMax circus, ....it's FOUR o'clock!
    I know of someone who was there at 3:30 AM delivering coffee and donuts. It's beyond crazy.
    Years ago when C & O was held at The Avenue in E. Cobb I was usually the first one there and the time stamp on my old pictures is 7:00AM. A lot of us are now missing "the good old days"!

14. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    If the time keeps rolling back earlier and earlier from stupid o'clock and dark thirty, and eventually ends up being midnight, then I might actually go more often. But still only to look.

15. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    Oh, and I'm not pudgy.

Old.

Not pudgy.

Jack

16. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    in a Delbert McClinton song he says, "I not old, just been around for a long time."

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  18. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Well there is the new event starting at Lennox and you can know you will have a spot with them! You preregister and don't have to get there at 3:30.

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My friend in his SL55AMG got there early, around 6am. I didn't get there at around 8:30am and found a parking spot over next to several other Porsche's. My friend in the 67 SS didn't arrive until 9;15am and he was able to park on the second row right next to the SL55AMG that had been there since 6am.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The worst time for parking now is probably from about 7:15 to 9:00 or so. Then a lot of the "first shift" leaves, making spaces available to the latecomers.

21. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I arrived about 6:50 am in the red Manta McLaren M8 tribute car and there were no spots. I got lucky as a guy was pulling out to move somewhere else and I got his spot.

That's why I'm glad Caffeine and Exotics is starting up this month, I know I'll have a spot there.

22. kayakjack

kayakjack Karting

Mar 29, 2004
    I saw your car. First time I ever saw one in the flesh. I remember seeing them in Road & Track back in the day. Very cool car. Sorry I did not get to meet you and talk to you.

Jack