35 years later.... | FerrariChat

35 years later....

Discussion in '308/328' started by John M, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Pininfarina badge? But maybe they are only on one side (I don't know 308's)

Spoiler rear roof area. Mirrors.

3. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Correct! Dave wins! The spoiler and the passenger side mirror are additions. Both added somewhere along the way. The pininfarina badge is just on the driver's side on the 308s so that is still correct.

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Great photo find !! Would love to find one of my own car like that.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Not my 308, but the guy who imported my 400i in 1979 went to the factory and had his pic taken with my actual car on the production line. Image Unavailable, Please Login

noblesteed likes this.
  6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Cool Pics Guys!
    John, never get tired of seeing pictures of your blue machine. I think it's one of the most beautiful 308s that grace this site.

7. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Thank you Mark and Kim! It was a cool photo find for sure. Patrick, that photo of your car on the assembly line is about the coolest photo that could exist!

8. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Kim, that has to be one of the nicest compliments my car has ever received on fchat. Thank you so much. The car was a bit of a mess when she came home, so it does make my chest rise a bit with pride when she is appreciated today. Azzurro was what sold me on this example. It is a perfect color for the iconic 308.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I remember well some of your very early posts. That little 308 has undergone quite the transformation! Actually envious it isn't in my garage! Congrats!

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Now that you know how the car came from the factory are you tempted to return the car to factory spec?

11. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    The tasks to go back to factory spec will be for the next caretaker. :D It would be fairly easy on my car. She has already been fully repainted. Weld up the holes and repaint the panels. But I like having that OEM mirror on the passenger side. It is useful. And I just prefer that spoiler when it comes to this GTSi. GTB though I prefer bare. Dr. Tommy has said many times he thought the spoiler option started in '83. And I would have argued that he might have been wrong prior to the photo. The tasks to go back to factory spec will be for the next caretaker. :D

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Yea, that spoiler thing was first used on that 77 show car and didn't reappear on the 308 until the QV and even then it was an "option".
    Quotes used because for the US market, it seemed to be a standard. In other markets it was often left off.

The passenger mirror was another thing not often seen until the QV and that goes for many imports back then, not just the 308. I suppose local laws dictated whether the car would have one or not, but I am convinced the factory left that up to the dealer. All the non-QV ones I saw back in the early 80's didn't have the mirror. There is an interesting story about that passenger mirror and the 77 GTB chassis 21277 that I have posted about and is being restored up in Canada by Newman.

Cool finding that pic!