355 Steering | FerrariChat

355 Steering

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fundlawyer, Sep 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    I want to eliminate as much as possible the "vague" steering feel in my 95 355 GTS. Specifically, I would like more feedback from the front tires and a tighter steering feel. Car is primarily used on the street, so I dont want to go to any kind of track only set up. The car is operating properly, I just want to explore my options in terms of improving the steering feel and see what others have done.

I am having the front shocks rebuilt ( rears were just done and engine mounts and rear sway bar bushings replaced), and wanted to get some opinions as to what will give me the most bang for my buck. I am thinking about replacing the ball joints and all the bushings in the front suspension and the tie rods. Thoughts?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A while back Brian Crall stated that they used to drop the front nose a bit (IIRC, 1/2") to improve the steering / handling.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Two things:

1. You can change to a Fiarano steering rack
    2, Or, you can convert to a manual version.

4. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    I read some threads on the manual conversion. I got the impression that it was a tremendous PITA and very costly and that the steering feel was not significantly different. Would love to speak to somebody that has driven a manual 355. I alos got the impression from the threads that a challenge rack ( which I think is basically the Fiarano rack) is quicker, but doesnt change the feel. Do you disagree?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I agree the faster Fiarano rack does not significantly change the feel of the power assist steering. I for one would just buy another Ferrari if I want a manual rack. Changing to that manual rack is a pain, and devalues the car. Buy a 348.

goose22b likes this.
  6. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Ha! The 348 is not for me. I love my 355 and the steering is not bad, its just the one thing on the car that I would like to improve upon. I guess I will rebuild the front end and see where I am at that point.

7. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Ill look for that thread, but my understanding is that changing the rake of a car requires many other adjustments and is a trade off.

8. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Before you do a bunch of suspension work, put a 360 steering wheel on. Totally changes the steering feel in a very good way. The 360 wheels are about half as heavy as the 355 wheel. Looks much better too IMO and has a much thicker grip that is nicely contoured.

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have a Challenge steering rack and pump on my 355. The steering is definitely quicker but does not really change the feel. I have a smaller diameter steering wheel and that helps with the feel a little.

10. milessl500

milessl500 Rookie

Jun 2, 2011
    Confolens France
    When I researched how to improve the steering feel, when I had a 355, the best solution seemed to be placing a proportioning/limiting valve in the power steering hydraulic line and turning down the feed pressure until the steering effort reached the desired level. From memory it was a US product used by owners of USA muscal cars that left the factory with over servoed steering. There is a thread on F chat I think giving details.

goose22b likes this.
  11. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Steering effort and feedback are two different things.

12. milessl500

milessl500 Rookie

Jun 2, 2011
    Confolens France
    Yes but you will not know what feedback you are geting from the front tyres if the power steering pump is providing so much assistance it maskes the forces coming back through the steering wheel and leaves the driver uncertain as to what the front wheels are doing no mater what the geometry is, heavier steering will at least help stop the average driver guage how much steering imput is needed/not needed, as in my experience loss of control is usally associated with too much input followed by a dynamic reaction.

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had thought of doing that and placing the valve somewhere where you can get to it to change. I know hot rodders do it all the time.

14. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    i saw that discussed in a thread but it didnt really sound like a great solution. They discussed locating equipment in the front trunk and it sounded fairly involved. Its interesting that no one really discusses the ball joints, tie rods or bushings. I would have thought that would be the first place to look to improve steering feel.

15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    What you are describing is not a worn suspension, it's the design of the car.

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Look at your bushings, if they are original replace them.
    The 355 has pretty good steering when the bushings are correct and the alignment is dead on. I mean aligned the way a race car is with scales, not a hunter computer aligner with all the pretty pictures and readouts that tire barn use's manned by the ASE certified alignment dude

Thats the only thing you can do besides change the rack to something else ex: a 348 setup.

Hope this helps :)

308 GTB likes this.
  17. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    Thanks. My assumption is that the 22 year old bushings in my front suspension are killing the steering feel.

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  19. Fundlawyer

Fundlawyer Karting

Jul 30, 2009
    Old Westbruy, NY
    Full Name:
    Douglas Hirsch
    But then i have an engine that sounds like my vacumn cleaner. And boy, I never realized how ugly the boxster is until u put it next to the 355.

20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

At all 4 wheels for that matter :)

21. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

The exhaust on that thing looks like a poop shoot :)

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Everything you say is true but one of, if not the biggest beef I have with the 355 is the dead feeling of the steering, light effort, very little back through the wheel. I recall reading in some auto rag at the time that Ferrari added power steering to the 355 to make it more acceptable to women drivers. Don't know if it was true or not. The Boxster has a perfect progressive effort, and you know exactly what the tires are doing. The Boxster just feels the way a sports car is suppose to feel IMO. Personally, I place little value on how a car sounds and I can't see what it looks like from the driver's seat. The Boxster is also better balanced at 47%/53% vs. 41%/59% for the F355.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think that is what the 360 wheel does. I think its smaller because it seems a little stiff r and more feedback.

24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You need to drive a 348. I'm amazed that they felt the steering was something they thought they should "improve". It's not heavy, it's wonderful.

steved033 likes this.
  25. yvesolution

yvesolution Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Cabo Verde
    What tyres do you have on your car? What make? That might be a possibility?!