575 engine tear down - what@s known to fail? | FerrariChat

575 engine tear down - what@s known to fail?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by PAUL500, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    My 575 engine is down to a bare block now and anything paper, plastic or rubber is being replaced and everything else will be measured and if out of tolerance then also replaced.

My question is what else is known to just fail on these engines? I seem to recall the bearings for the oil pump drive shaft are suspect, and to use a hill engineering cam tensioner, anything else I should swap out just to be on the safe side?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Curious what event prompted the teardown?

In addition to what you mentioned, take a good look at the water plenum at the top of the block - I found a lot of casting slag in there that needed to come out.

And rebuilding the water pump itself, just for good measure.

Although I haven't done it myself as yet, I intend to do something with the oil pump pressure regulator valve to try and reduce the high oil pressure at startup with cold oil. I've already reduced my oil viscosity to 0W-40 with little or no effect, so perhaps fooling with the shims in the pressure regulator will get some benefits.

At the risk of starting a religious war here, are you intending to reuse your head studs & nuts, mains stud & nuts, and the rod bolts?

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It was the timing case bearing used on many models not sure if it is on 575 bearing 170787 only get from ricambi. It is a hill bearing accept no other. the Ferrari one fails.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The engine is for a non 575 project I have on the go, I purchased it from a salvage company so it seemed sensible to pull it apart at this stage just to make sure its all ok.

So far so good, everything looks in order, pistons are nice and clean, very little carbon deposits on the crowns or the valves so it will be a straight forward freshen up, but given the age of the engine type, any quirks will have made themselves known by now so thought its a perfect time to rectify any that you guys are aware of.