96 US spec 355 "No Spark" | FerrariChat

96 US spec 355 "No Spark"

Discussion in '348/355' started by Beetle, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Hello all
    My car has no spark and I suspect it has Another failed crank angle sensor after 4 starts. I have one on order so I need some assistance from owners that are familiar with the 5.2 ignition system.
    1- Does the ignition utilize fuel system power/sensor to enable spark trigger?
    2- Yes I have checked continuity and rattled the Crank angle sensor plug lead to ecu. Checked Ohms on sensor but this does not mean it's Ok. All cables are fine.
    3- How does the ignition coils receive its trigger power or how do I test the system.
    4- Yes the Immobiliser system is working. Siren batteries replaced. My car will NOT crank until you press fob.
    5- Is there anything else I can test check? Before the new Crank angle sensor gets here.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The ignition coils are powered directly (unfused) from the ignition key (via wiring in the passenger footpad relay/fuse panel), but the triggering is provided by the ECU (a pulsed square wave), so the ECU also needs to be powered (and you also need the crank angle sensor to be working). The 5.2 ECU gets power via fuse 30. The ECU controls engine sensor power and injector power via relay "M" ("Injector Control" relay). I don't know if you've tried replacing that.

Unfortunately, official wiring diagrams for the 5.2 are a little hard to find. I think I sent you my version previously. You can check for 12v dc coil power at the coil pack electrical plugs (pin 2, yellow or yellow/black wires) with the ignition on, but you may need an oscilloscope to check for trigger pulses from the ECU.

Prit Singh and Beetle like this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Correction: I thought relay M would provide power to the crank angle sensor, but it looks like the ECU is the only source of power for this.

Fig 11 (5.2) Wiring

Beetle likes this.
  4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Check your engine grounds at the back of the heads. My car had no spark after my major. We suspected bad coils or crank sensor or ignition module. Turned out one of grounds had poor contact with head. Cleaned and tightened ground, car fired right up.

Qavion likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

I doubt it's failed crank sensor. As I recall they measure about 900 ohms between the two sensor leads. The 3rd lead is a shielded ground. The sensor is a passive device; a coil wrapped around a magnet. A current is generated in the coil when the magnetic flux changes due to the toothed wheel spinning on the crank. So, if the resistance is around 900 ohms then the coil is good and the sensor should be good. I'd look elsewhere.

I don't have a lot of info on the 5.2, but from what I can tell, the coils are fired directly from the ECU. There aren't any external ignition modules as on the 2.7. I'd start by checking continuity of the harness between the ECU and the coils.

Beetle and Qavion like this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, John. Some variable reluctance devices are powered. I wasn't sure about this one.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant

Where are these grounds Bob I do not remember seeing any on my 99

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thank you i need to go look now!!

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That may only be 95's

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Also I would not see any need to undo/remove these as part of a major if they were in the engine harness? I don't recall them on my car either but will certainly be looking at all earth's.

12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Power at the coils and 900 ohms across crank angle sensor pins but still no spark. Can you please advise ECU main 30amp location

13. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Sorry misread it's location 30 and fuse is fine

14. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Crank angle sensor says Bosch Romania?? I thought Bosch was in Germany. I think there are possible fakes about.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bosch has plants all over the world, including Romania.

16. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I'm not wanting to start a war but i have never seen a Bosch item with anything other than "Bosch Germany" happy to be proven wrong just my own observation

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I certainly understand. I was similarly shocked when I bought an ignition module for one of my cars that was labeled "Bosch Taiwan". The one being replaced was stamped "Bosch USA".

18. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    The new one coming has Bosch Germany on it (Direct Ferrari Replacement) so not sure what's going on!!

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Don't worry about it. It's a country of origin thing. Things coming into the USA must have country of origin marking of some kind. So if you do business in the USA, like Bosch, you mark the parts with country of origin. Bosch manufacture auto parts in many countries. Same part, same quality.

20. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Well if the car starts it will certainly help! At the moment it has me stumped!!

21. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have 1 gound there insted of 2

22. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I designed and built equipment for Bosch in Anderson, SC USA. Yes, as John says, Bosch is a global company. The actual name is : Robert Bosch Corporation or Robert Bosch GmbH

23. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have a 95 which may have additional grounds on the heads.

24. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    The new crank angle sensor that came from Ferrari has the exact same imprints "Bosch Romania" just at a lot more expensive price as expected due to the Yellow and Black box it came in HAHAHAHA. I also found some very loose relays and replaced all fuse's, Tested all Relays and tightened up female crimps in fuse/relay block. Car started straight away with the old(Brand New) crank angle sensor. New Ferrari boxed one will become a spare that will probably never be used. One thing I did notice through testing is that the fuel pump did not prime or turn on until eng is cranked. I have gathered from my own observation's that the fuel pump could possible need a signal from the crank angle sensor to pump fuel but could be wrong. Also the reason for a hot "M" Relay could be the fact of a loose connection in the fuse/relay block. Could also be wrong on this as well, who knows. anyway it starts know so I'm happy :)

Qavion and Dave rocks like this.
  25. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    In the case of 348, there is no fuel pump priming function (they only start running when you start cranking). 355 is probably similar.

For the fuel pump to run, there are two conditions (based on 348 wiring): 1. The Injection Relay, "M" in your case, has to be functional (switch on with ignition "ON"); this relay provides power to the positive side of the Fuel Pump relay coil; 2. The ECU needs to know that the engine is turning/cranking (seeing the signal from the crank sensor, I believe) and it will then ground the negative side of the Fuel Pump relay coil switching the relay (and the pump) on. Both, the Ignition and the Fuel Pump relays are quite heavily loaded so keeping their contacts clean is important. Oxidised contacts start overheating causing loosening of the connector in the fuse box.

Beetle and Qavion like this.