Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Leaving your foot on the gas while shifting in the old muscle car days was known as a powershift. Had to be really quick with that clutch pedal and gear change or you would be into the redline real fast.

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2krO2mREU[/ame]

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    According to the video I just linked to, the car recognizes when you're heel-n-toeing, at which point it leaves the rev matching to you.

Pretty cool, not as cool as a switch that turns it off.

4. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Finally the mainstream gas engine 2.0 Turbo is reviewed and it's apparently a true Gem. America will get 276hp vs the Euro spec 200hp.

"The Giulia's very rigid body structure helps their task, the overall result is a remarkably smooth, quiet, well-controlled ride combined with low roll angles, taut responses to the driver's directional commands and a deliciously grippy, progressive, light-footed pointability. Although ultra-quick in its response, an Alfa feature since the days of the 156, the steering feels keen and natural rather than nervous, if short on true feel of the front wheels' state of grip.

This dynamic mix is, frankly, a revelation. It's better than that of any mainstream Fiat Group product in recent memory, and it gives real substance to Alfa Romeo's intended rebirth as a maker of proper drivers' cars."

2016 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0 MultiAir review | Autocar

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    I think Europe will get the 276hp as well in a later stage.

"As for the quality of the fixtures and fittings, it's acceptable in itself, but not up to the standards of the best Germans"

Compared to an A4 probably, but compared with the C Class and 3 series I don't think so.

6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    the car has to win over the fans via dynamic capabilities and thus far the reviews are positive in that regard. alfas are drivers cars first and foremost. bmw has gone soft and alfa has a real opportunity here imho.

hopefully here in the usa they will have competitive lease programs with maintenance included.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Any news on the price of the ti model? Don't think I can justify 75k for a mid size sedan, at that price I'd get a model S. The ti looks pretty good, but if it's 50k probably not that good...

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I was expecting that response......so far the German and French press have been more than very positive, the Brits have been the harshest on the Giulia.....go figure...

Funny how nobody mentions the Japanese brands or Volvo in any comparison.

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Having seen the prices of the QV in a couple of markets, Alfa just undercuts the BMW M3 every single time. So I guess they'll do the same in the US.

10. fskof

fskof Karting

Nov 23, 2005
    Milwaukee, Wi
    Full Name:
    Frank
  11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #136 peterp, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree completely. I like to heal and toe...been doing it since I was 13. don't need ANY help. all I ask for is good pedal placement.

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    No it isn't. The infotainment system is newly developed.

Besides article is clearly written from an US point of view. First of all Alfa didn't make just hatchbacks and secondly their reliabilty nowadays is a far cry from the Fix it again Tony" days. VAG has quite a bit more issues to name just one competitor.

Does make it a little clumsy to present these cars to journalist. Although others haven't mentioned it.

15. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

Click bait........Jalopnik wasn't invited by Alfa to drive the Giulia and they must be cranky. Pre-production cars usually have some odd bits on them.

Many reviewers so far have not had issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQfBon6Ybg

16. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Minor things that will get sorted over time. There's a reason you don't buy any car in its first year of production.....

17. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Volvo XC90 is a good example...

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Early Porsche 996/boxster engine failures.....

19. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Except they've presented themselves sometimes years after first delivery.

The new XC90 currently suffers from elec. problems.

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    True, let's hope the same doesn't inflict Alfa.

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RFBx8lMLIE[/ame]

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Virtually every UK review has agreed ... I think it's just because they can't have it! If the US journos don't like it, then you know it's not very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Given today's traffic conditions and the typical target buyers lack of familiarity with manual boxes I'm surprised that they'll offer on at all.

If you've no experience and hence no talent for it then the paddle box WILL seem superior.

Then there's the 8 vs 6 speeds which from the corporate perch at Alfa means plenty I suppose.

We're getting old ...

25. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I like to row my cars....that is why I continue to own BMW M's....though the Giulia QV will be my first Italian car..one of the criteria was that it was available as a manual...
    this is why I never bought an AMG Merc. It is just a personal preference not a statement of one being better/faster than another....
    I for one am happy about Alfa's decision and it will be interesting to see once the Giulia QV is unplugged and in full production swing how many opt for "the paddles"...