Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ... | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Authorities looking for Ferrari Scuderia driver that killed one and ...

Discussion in 'Florida' started by RobertM, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Miami can be quite challenging at times - last spring my wife was in a serious car accident on the Palmetto Exp about 4:00 pm - hit and run by a truck - she kept the car under control by viture of all she had learned on the track - she manage to pull into the left barrier lane without flipping the Tahoe - called on star then me who was over 1 hr away - I got to her about an hour later - all air bags deployed including side bags - she was hurt but not seriously - highway patrol got there about 1/2 hr later - took them 1 1/2 hrs even with on star - not one person stopped to help - thgird world mentality

2. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    These investigations just seem to take a very long time. Just this week a guy in Tampa was sentenced to 12 years for DUI manslaughter for an accident that happened exactly 3 years ago.

I don't really understand why this takes so much time.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As a lawyer I can understand that it takes time to build the case, but the identity of the Owner of the car is known to the authorities. It shouldn't take long to go to work on him. Why they can't find him, however, seems somewhat peculiar to me. Assuming they haven't, that is.

CW

4. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    Miami is the worst, period!

5. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Beautiful exotic women and cars.
    Plenty of money changing hands.
    Great resturants and clubs.
    An international airport you can get to within a half hour from the beach.

Why all the hate towards Miami?

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

Miami is on my short list of places where I'd like to retire to. One of the most beautiful cities in the world and at a crucial turning point with access/direct flights to the US/Europe and South America.

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Being the owner of the car doesn't make that person the driver of the car. As to "working on him", there is that pesky 5th Amendment that impedes that.

Further, if LEO shows up to get an accident report from the owner (even if he talks), ANYTHING said pursuant to the accident report is privileged.

This is not legal advice, I may have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Good State Attorneys in Miami and Broward, give them time.......

Regards,
    Jerry

8. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    SAO's will not comment on ongoing investigations.

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Agreed, BUT unless the vehicle was reported stolen, the registered Owner is the first person to look at. As noted, DNA testing may be able determine who the driver was (or wasn't) based on samples from the owner's residence. He may not have been the driver, but the vehicle is assumed to have been under his control. Or, if he had loaned it to someone (bad idea, of course), he'd know who he loaned it to.

Regardless, where is the guy? Did he flee? If so, why? If he's on the run, why haven't we heard about it? Are authorities keeping quiet so as not to alert him to the fact that they may know his whereabouts so that they can snatch him up or have him extradited from somewhere?

It just seems that the authorities would have made more (or some) progress on this case to date. Of course, they may have and just aren't telling the world about it, yet.

CW

10. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    On a side note, I don't know anyone that just "loans out" their Scuderia. At least, it's not ver likely IMO.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    "The very rich are different from you and me." Attributed to F. Scott Fitzgerald.

CW

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And in his famous reply.

"Yes, they have money."
    Ernest Hemingway

;)

13. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm betting the guy was making payments.....

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You make a lot of good points. Just remember that the south Florida media have an immeasurably brief attention span. There could be a lot going on in this case but no "journalist" is going to take the time to follow up when there's SoBe, duh Heat, the Estefans and Richie Incognito to be covered.....

15. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Very interesting. Sad to hear about all of the above - the accident, and the fact that it was allegedly a member here.

Out of curiosity, I checked over at RL, as he and I post frequently in the same subforum there - and he hasn't posted since 8/9 - the day before the accident.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    More than four months and no arrest. Something is really fishy about this.

17. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Anything new here?

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I was just wondering about this (again) the other day. I haven't heard any news. Very, very strange.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Money can buy you a free pass. Look at John Goodman, still hanging out at his mansion, and the only person who went to jail is one of the jurors!

:(
    BT

20. Canine64

Canine64 Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2005
  21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Seems to have gotten away with manslaughter.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It's almost like it never happened. My guess: The family was bought off and the perp self-deported. Case closed.

23. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Still, there must have been an investigation started, no?!

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So, why doesn't an attorney in this forum call the State Attorney's office to find
    out?

Isn't all this stuff posted publically?

BHW

25. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry

Generally, ongoing investigations are NOT public. Normal response is "we don't talk about whether or not there is an ongoing investigation". The most you typically get is "we are aware of the matter".

Anyone can call the SAO. An attorney not involved in a matter gets no special standing and no special access to information.

Let us know what you find out! :)

Regards,
    Jerry