California Air Bag Recall | FerrariChat

California Air Bag Recall

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mikewithferrari, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikewithferrari

Jul 18, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    3/23/17 Ferrari issued a manufacturer recall for the passenger side airbag. I only recently bought the car and the Carfax said the recall was outstanding.

I took the 2012 California to my local Ferrari dealership last week. They said no recall.

Does anyone have a handle on this?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. mikewithferrari

Jul 18, 2017
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks greyboxer.

4. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I was at The Collection in Miami today and they advised the recall for Cali 2012 is next year.

Hope that helps,

5. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got the recall notice for my 2010 Cali (owned since new). It was only for the passenger side - apparently the driver side is unaffected. I had it replaced and my dealer told me to expect another recall notice for the passenger side in about a year. They said they were recalling them now due to airbag age, but that the fixed part wasn't available yet, so they were putting in a new airbag of the same design as the old one - just new. The next recall will replace that airbag with the new part design which supposedly solves the problem for good.

I didn't research this any further, but it feels like maybe the story I got fits with a rolling recall based on age. Though maybe the new part will be available for later recalls, and you will only have to go through it once.

Can anyone corroborate the info I was told?

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    No, but it makes sense. The defective bags were failing due to moisture intrusion after some period of time. So a new bag is safer than an old one, even if of the same design.

7. JohnBradleyDaniels

Oct 16, 2011
    Spartanburg SC
    Algar Ferrari of Philly said my 2009 California has an open recall on the passenger front air bag, but they could not give me an estimated time for the part to be available or for the repairs to be done. I went ahead and had it brought down after they PPI'd it.

They said I'll get a letter from Ferrari once the part is available and to take it to the closest dealership to me.....which it is exactly 160 miles to Atlanta Ferrari or Greensboro Foreign Cars Italia....

8. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    I took my car in recently to replace a tire and they did the airbag fix as well. Took a day.