Center Console Fiber Optics Question | FerrariChat

Center Console Fiber Optics Question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FamilyCar, Sep 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I decided to clean up the fiber optics head and put a more powerful LED bulb in to see if it was an easy fix to make the console control illumination brighter. It seems to have worked, but..

There are three fiber optic runs not attached to anything. In searching through old posts and examination of the back of the console, it seems as if everything is connected. The illumination on the console is even, so it's not obvious that anything is missing there.

The three are wrapped in electrical tape, I guess to keep them from leaking light. This suggests to me that someone has been in there working on them. There is an old alarm component on the underside of the lidded tray as well as stereo wiring, so its at least been opened up.

Does anyone have a guess as to what they should be connected to? There is an old, unanswered post where someone asks what the routing is supposed to be, which I guess is still a question.

Thanks so much for any insight.

2. 4rebob

4rebob Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Robert Taylor
    My 83 has several "spare" fiber runs that were wrapped in tape. All the places that I can find that need light are connected. My guess is the fiber bundle that they used had more ends then needed.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Thanks, I'm starting to suspect that as well. There is a setup for a T on eBay now, and it has 3 taped-off leads as well.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    On my QV, all are used. How many fibres do you have? Cab?

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #5 afterburner, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Thanks so much for posting those photos. I'll have to check, but I now think it is a cab versus coupe issue. I don't have the connector points 9,10, and 11 since there is no rear panel on the cabriolets. It wouldn't have made sense for two different looms, and the coupe came first. How do you sell the clips? I don't think I need any, although I will verify against the photos you sent, but I've been known to gather spare parts just in case. On a previous post you say they go on ebay?

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    You are welcome Peter. I have made a series of reproduction clips to replace lost clips on my car and offered to make more for the fellow Mondial owners on F-Chat. One of the owners sold his car between the order and me being able to deliver and cancelled his order, so I have spare clips which I put up for sale on eBay under "afterburner88", together with other Ferrari parts either from my car's slow restoration or from other cars being broken up here. I usually restore the useable ones and sell them off reasonably priced for other owner's with a limited budget. As you might know, we don't exactly have limitless space here in HK so I cannot store parts here... You can also just tell me how many you need and PayPal me the funds, and I'll have them shipped out with trackable HK airmail to you shortly.