chrono advice please | FerrariChat

chrono advice please

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ferraripete, Aug 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

to the group,

I would like thoughts on chronographs. I am looking to add a nice secondary market watch.

I have been thinking about the following ($5-10K range):

iwc dopplechrono 46mm

blancpain fifty fathom chrono

jlc master compressor extreme carbon face chrono

omega dark side of the moon chrono

I would like thoughts / advice on the foregoing.

I may consider stepping up to:

audemars millenary chrono in rose gold

breguet marine chrono in rose gold

or a vc overseas chrono in ss.

please give me your expert advice on the options I have listed or any advice on watches I may have missed?

thanks guys.

PCB

2. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Rolex Daytona?

3. ferraripete

I have one. never wear it as it is too small for my taste at this point. I like the 43-45 mm size.

4. supergrilldds

supergrilldds Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Savannah,GA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Those are some fantastic options, but I'd say its a pretty personal decision. I really like the Omega Dark Side of the Moon because of the unusual case color and the beautiful leather strap but I also really like the look of the fifty Fathoms. I'd say this will be a tough one but it should be an enjoyable journey! Good luck

5. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    Several Speedmasters in that size and price range.

I like the Dark Side of the Moon, the Grey Side of the Moon and the new Grey Side Meteorite. I tried the Meteorite on a couple of times but lucked into a Ceramic Daytona while I was considering what to buy. Had to get the Daytona but still loved the speedy Meteorite

6. ferraripete

thanks for the responses. I think in appearance, the JLC looks most impressive followed by the fifty fathom and then the dark side of the moon. they are each available at luxury in time out of Winston salem, nc. I could actually see each and inspect for condition.

JLC and Blancpain are ~$8k, the Omega is ~$6k. each seems like a good value in a pre-owned "as new" chrono.

seems there is no love for the IWC dopple 46mm?

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    If I were really interested in the IWC - I might look at Habring. He's the guy who invented the mechanism for IWC, so he is using it in his watches now. Small husband and wife manufacturer, so won't see one on every street corner.

8. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The Fifty Fathoms is a stunner!
    Did you consider the Zenith Defy with the split second complication?

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #9 Ingenere, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I have a Swiss mechanical chronometer that I haven't worn since my early 30s. In my opinion, it is the middle aged, watch equivalent of spiky hair, popped collar, or large wing on your sports car. That is just my opinion, and is influenced by the fact that this chronometer has failed, angered me, and I am bitter about my lost youth.

11. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Guaranteed to keep its value the others not so much!

12. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Aesthetically, there's a wide range there. That Breguet marine chrono is pretty exquisite.

13. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I have a Breguet Type XXI - like but haven't fully bonded with it. Thinking about trading it, so this is a timely topic for me.

14. ferraripete

as mentioned, I already have a zenith movement Daytona and assortment of breitlings, an old heuer and a panerai fer00004. I am really hoping to buy something with an in house movement and ideally a $10k spend ceiling (thus the secondary market). I am equally in love with the jlc and the blancpain w/ the omega close in third.

to go beyond the $10k, I would need to find a really compelling deal on a breguet marine chrono or ap millenary chrono...both in rose gold. both are gorgeous and a big step up from watches I currently have.

I start a new job on the 21st and this is a celebration gift to me. I appreciate the responses guys.

15. ferraripete

agreed. in rose gold it is exquisite. I am not sure I can get for under $20k? it may rationally a bridge too far for me currently.