Door lock cylinders, what holds them in? | FerrariChat

Door lock cylinders, what holds them in?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by cls, Sep 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My passenger door lock fell into the door while I was washing my 456GT today. The cylinder is screwed to a mounting plate and that plate was glued to the door skin. That can't be right... right? I can't figure out from the parts diagram if there is something to hold it in place, and my driver's door is the same way.
    Anyone know how the lock cylinder is held in place?

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FYI, this is what the lock cylinder looks like from the inside. No way that's factory, but I have no idea what's missing.

Attached Files:

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The plate is supposed to be welded to the door skin, then the lock cylinder bolts to the plate. I have seen them glued back on after someone punches the door locks out when breaking into the car.
    It is a fair amount of work to have them repaired correctly.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks.
    Welding after paint doesn't sound like a good idea to me, there's also a tack welded cover plate that makes working in the area tight.
    Even with an adhesive, getting that plate in and lined up is going to be tough.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just stripped the plates and cleaned the inside of the door skin. These definitely were never welded. Something is missing.