F430 loose sideview mirror video | FerrariChat

F430 loose sideview mirror video

Discussion in '360/430' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Sep 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    As I'm sure you're aware, the mirrors on the F430 get loose as the rubber bumper inside it starts to degrade and the screws start to strip out the rubber. You can do a simple fix by putting in some over-sized screws with courser threads. Of note, the screws inside the mirror can come loose as well, in which case you will have to get new screws for those. The interior screws actually screw into the mirror itself though so be careful not to strip out the mirror or get too long of screws.

In the video, only the exterior screws on this mirror needed to get replaced. On my passenger mirror which I fixed a few months ago, it was the interior screws.

2. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Do you know if the 360 challenge stradale has the same design for the most part? My driver side mirror is a bit wobbly. I'll try to fix it next week and report back.

3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I don't know but I would stab a guess that the design is probably somewhat similar as they love to reuse parts when possible. If you pop it off, take a picture and post it so we can see! :)

4. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I could be completely off base with this, but it appears as though your mirror (after the fix) isn't sitting all the way down on the mount "arms" - almost as though it needs to be tightened a bit more. Mine appears to sit down more fully onto those arms.

Mine:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yours:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Yeah, I think I may have squished the power cable... I'll pull it off and re-align it better and see if it sits down fully.

6. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Cool - that makes sense. I hope that I didn't seem to be picking nits, as it were. I love your videos! I've built so many things over the years, though, that those little details just leap out at me. Or maybe I've built all those things because details have always leapt out at me and I simply found a useful outlet for my obsessive nature. One of those, anyway... LOL

7. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    No, that was very helpful, thank you! I don't exactly have another F430 sitting around to use as a reference so seeing your picture is definitely an "Ahh that's not right" moment. I just went out to the garage and fixed it, but it still sits slightly higher than yours. I suspect it may be some of that gunk that was put in there.

8. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Cheers.

It might be worth going back in there to fully clean out the gunk. It seems as though it'll never be quite right - or as tight as it can get - unless the mirror is drawn fully down onto the upper arm's locating nub. Anything preventing it from seating should go...

9. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Indeed. I'll have to set aside a little time to do a more thorough job this weekend.

10. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wish we lived a bit closer; I'd love to lend a hand with some of your garage adventures - and wine tasting!

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    When working with painted parts, it's highly advisable to use blue painters tape to protect the painted surfaces. I buy the stuff by the case ;)

Corsair66 likes this.
  12. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Emphasis on the wine. :)

Yup! Plus you still will need some sort of tool configuration to get to the inner screws as even a shorty screw driver sits at too steep an angle. Tape would have minimized risk and I probably should have used some. Next time!

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The OEM screws you removed are a form of button head screw. The replacements you installed are flat head and designed to be used with countersunk holes. My suggestion would be to use the OEM screws and replace the inner rubber block you show. I'm also questioning the "rubber" block being rubber as it's not good practice to use rubber to hold screws - are you sure it's not a hard plastic? In any event, I'd replace that part before using the incorrect screws - but that's just me ;)

EDIT - looks like that block is not sold separately - perhaps custom fabrication would be needed or a new product offering from us :D

14. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Good point on the screws. I thought the same thing when I watched the video this morning, but it completely skipped my mind to mention here. Good catch.

15. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    It may be plastic, but if it is plastic, it's a soft material. I plan to get better screws, preferably ones that don't need to be sawed down to size. I just didn't have time to run to a parts store that night.

Ultimately yes, replacing the "guts" of the mirror is the best option, but this will get it by for a while until I decide to order the parts.

parkem likes this.
  16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Local hardware stores are not going to have those screws - they are very specialized. Perhaps McMaster-Carr will have them but that's doubtful too. These are special fasteners designed for plastics. Here is one company: https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/thread-forming-screws/thread-forming-for-plastic