Ferrari signs new long-term Marlboro deal | FerrariChat

Ferrari signs new long-term Marlboro deal

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari will remain with tobacco sponsor Philip Morris and its Marlboro brand for the near future, after announcing it has renewed its long-term deal.

Although no Marlboro logos have appeared on the car since cigarette advertising was supposedly banned from F1 in 2007, Ferrari has maintained the use of the red and while colours in its livery and corporate branding.

Back in 2010, however, Ferrari had to remove a barcode design from its car after there were suggestions it was subliminal advertising for Marlboro.

The partnership between Philip Morris and Ferrari began more than 40 years ago, and since 1997 it has been title sponsor. A statement issued on Monday said the new deal was multi-year.

Philip Morris' previous contract had been due to run out at the end of this year, but the association between the two companies was always likely to continue thanks to the arrival of former Philip Morris marketing man Maurizio Arrivabene as Ferrari team principal.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-signs-new-long-term-marlboro-deal-949192/

It does not say for how long. Honestly, I did'nt think PM would renew the contract. This

is good.

2. MisterX

MisterX Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Ancona, Italy
    Full Name:
    Samuel
    The question arises spontaneously, what would be the terms of the contract?

I think the PM will provide a remarkable budget to Ferrari, but why? As we know from the point of view of PM's visibility, it will not get anything, so what is this partership doing?

3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They still can do promo events for their customers and as they own all the promotional space on the car, they´re reselling it Santander, Shell, etc...

4. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    It's a smart move ... a bit like money laundering :)

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    And probably they´re reselling it at a nice profit. I guess Ferrari sells all the space to the Marlboro men for less than they would get if they sold it separately but that way they´re getting a guaranteed fixed income.

6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You could almost say that Marlboro owns a F1 team just like Benetton did in the past, or Red Bull does now.

The fact that Arrivabene was put in charge is a clear indication of that.

When Benetton bought Toleman, they put a marketing man in charge: Flavia Briatore.
    When Philip Morris took charge of the Scuderia, they threw away the existing Ferrari management and put one of their marketing executives at the head.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Arrivabene represented the sponsors at the FIA council, already knew the people and had seen how the F1 world works from the inside. I think that was the main reason to put him in charge, not the Marlboro sponsorship.

In any case, you can check the books: the Reparto Corse is still owned by Ferrari Spa.

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    How much do they pay annually ?

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I should have said " Marlboro controls" instead of "Marlboro owns".

It's a bit (but not quite) like when a company owes more to the banks than its initial capital.

Ownership becomes an empty word when you are at the mercy of a sponsor which may pull the plug one day.

The dog wagging the tail, or the tail wagging the dog ?

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It was rumoured to be $100M a few years back, but I think it has increased in recent years.

Hence the reason why Philip Morris put one of its executives in charge, to control the team.

The Scuderia is in fact managed by a marketing executive, and run by an accountant.

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As far as I know, Arrivabene is not doing the work he was doing at Phillip Morris anymore. And above him it´s still the mighty Marchionne.

So I think that the relationship between Ferrari and their sponsors seems to be good but not in the same category, at all, than Red Bull or Benetton as you said.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Great news, stability for the future us a good driver for future success

I actually switched to Marlboro years ago due to its ties to ferrari.... weak minded or what

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Which means that you have nobody with racing management experience at the head of Ferrari. That's a bit alarming.

Compared to other teams where the principals have spent most of their career managing teams in lower categories, or have an engineering background, I think that Ferrari is at a disadvantage.

Steiner at Haas, Totz at Toro Rosso, Abiteboul at Renault, Horner at Red Bull, Boullier at McLaren, Wolff at Mercedes, and Vasseur at Sauber for example, all have previous practical experience of motor racing.

14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Welcome to 2015.

That issue was debated back then and it´s off topic. But remember that Flavio Briatore knew less about F1 than Arrivabene when he started and that Luca Montezemolo was a lawyer.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We have yet to see if Arrivabene will be able to emulate De Montezemolo and Briatore and steer his team to win a championship.

So far he hasn't ...

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

So far...

Maybe he´ll fail and you´ll come around here just to say "I told you so". I hope that if he succeds you won´t say that you always trusted him.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Nope, I am very good at accepting it when I am proven wrong.

Time will tell ...

18. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Maybe Phillip Morris can influence the FIA and get these crap engines removed, and have some testing reintroduced...... liberty might go for it if the teams sold tickets for their testing venues

19. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Forgive me, as I really don't get why Marlboro pays all that sponsorship money when they don't have any words or logos on the car. I remember when they had Marlboro on the wing and body. Now it just has the Ferrari red with some white thrown in. If you didn't know the history, you would never make the correlation.

20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Hey, don't let facts skew the fact our favourite team gets a **** load of money to paint their cars red and white. For Marlboro, they make a sizeable profit reselling the advertising space on the car, I suspect it's a substantial secondary income as the world smoking population reduces through death and pesky regulations

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Honestly, I didn't even know that PM was still a Ferrari sponsor. I think its a waste of money for the company but a good deal for Ferrari.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sponsorship is tax-deductible, so it's not really charity.

A cynic said that sponsorship is the next best thing to tax evasion for a corporation.

PM makes billions of profit each year.

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Forza Ferrari!!!

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Huh? what about all the years (about 20) where Philip Morris was Ferrari's title sponsor without one of their marketing execs running the team?

For the record I think Arrivabene has done a great job. This is great news, glad to see they renewed

Agree 100%. Look at all those teams with team principals with "racing experience." How many are beating Ferrari. One? Yipee.

The second Arrivabene came on Ferrari started it's turnaround in 2015

LOL

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Attached Files:

Remy Zero, ferrariformulauno and NEP like this.