Have any owners regretted buying 488? | FerrariChat

Have any owners regretted buying 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by aazizkhalid, Sep 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aazizkhalid

aazizkhalid Karting

Aug 4, 2012
    DUBAI UAE
    And sold soon after? Why was that and what did you replace it with if at all...
    I have a 458 Speciale and even though 99% going ahead with a 488 spider (replacement for M 650s) to add to the Speciale , just thought I'd know the cons before I fully own it. In test drives I loved it with a near daily driver outlook, sound was much better than expected and an overall very very fun and drivable car. I'll keep the Speciale for track and just generally it's well balanced beautiful keeper. 488 more so coz I cant drive the Speciale daily and i would like a daily driving spider. I know in time I'd probably want to replace it with something newer but just wanted some comfort that it's a great car to keep for a couple of years atleast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Not unless they try a 720S McLaren.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No regrets in my 488. Love the car.

PantherMD likes this.
  4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Car has so much grip it just wont slide like what chris harris does on youtube.
    To be more specific, it only allows me to power oversteer at the exit.
    Pzero got murdered by doing just couple of laps practicing power over.
    Toe is so much out of spec like it had an accident after track work.
    I regret that I bought this car thinking it will be a fun drifter.
    Now I am thinking of skipping 488 gto? and try fun drift with 812 next year....

Meanwhile, spider will stay with me.

5. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Completely agree!

Dolceexte likes this.
  6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Cognitive dissonance. Many will have a problem with admitting they made a $300k+ mistake...even to themselves.

SmokinV10 likes this.
  7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Formula 3

Oct 24, 2006
    Highway to Hell
    i sold my 488 in 3 weeks...keeping the Speciale. no comparison to me. 488 is a fake, overweight ferrari. to each his own, but I don't see how you'll like a 488 over a Speciale. the 488 is a bad GT car, not a sports car.
    i've posted numerous time about my preference .

Dave rocks, Afonsolaw, Rory J and 2 others like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And many will say- man, glad I spent 300k cause the car is awesome!

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yes to each his own. "Overweight" 488 faster than the Skinny Speciale.

Overweight 488 just won car of the year in motor trend.

Overweight 488 engine was voted tops.

To the op- the less time you spend seeking internet opinions, the happier you will be. I made the same mistake in the past. By what you want. If you don't like it, sell it and buy something else.

Good luck.

Napoli, 100badboy100 and Viperjoe like this.
  10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I like the 458 Speciale better than the 488. It has a more raw, race car feel to it. Tests may show that the 488 is faster or handles better, but they cannot quantify the seat of the pants feel, and the 458 Special has more soul. I also don't like the lower rev limit of the 488 and find myself bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. Since the motor in the 488 is .5 of a liter smaller than the 458, you would think that it would rev as high or even higher than a 458. Why the lower rev limit?

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Tge 488 is amazing. Not an ounce of regret. This has nothing to do with the 458 Speciale, which is also amazing. You already said you're keeping that, so I wound ignore the comments from the same small few that again feel they need to cut down the 488 to make themselves feel better. The 488 is gorgeous and its performance is remarkable. And yes, it sounds incredible too. Get it and enjoy your stable.

12. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Having driven the 488 and 458 on the track back to back my impressions are:

488 is bigger, more comfy, more GT, heavier, not as pointy on turn in, not as much input to the wheel, floaty, easy to drive, yet less visceral and more disconnected from the road. throttle a little slow

488 power is mid band and very plentiful, 3 and 4 all day long, yet tops out quickly and is not as satisfying because you don't rev it out and get the scream.

488 vs Speciale on track? No contest 458.
    488 vs 458, I prefer the 458 on track, 488 as a daily or weekend makes sense. Yet it's just less visceral overall.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    While I like more the philosophy of the 458 Speciale, I cannot discount the progress - to me the 488 GTB is a better car, because everything has been improved. So I definitely not regret going for a 488, and just can't wait for the 488 VS (whatever it will be called).
    Before going for the 488 I also had the similar dilemma, considering a 458 Italia or a 430 Scuderia; and whereas I liked more the philosophy of the Scuderia, I am sure that in the end I would have chosen the more modern 458.
    I have had the 488 for two years and could have sold it without losing money earlier, so that's not that I have to hide to the world a bad decision.
    On the other hand I do not feel either the need to claim that people thinking different from me are idiots putting up with crap cars.

100badboy100 and Bundy like this.
  14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    You have to see the 488 in person to appreciate the lines of the body. I really enjoyed my 458 and am looking forward to the 488. While only 1 hour in the drivers seat, to me the upgrades are worth the investment, period.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Totally agree with this. When you see a 488 in person, that's when it really makes a statement. It's presence is very striking. It has this amazing balance of aggression and elegance. As for performance, obviously it's very impressive, but I can't honestly say that one statistic here or there makes that much of a difference to me. The 488, 458 Speciale, etc. all are incredible and have far more than I'll ever experience. I know the performance is world class. What's most important to me is the way the car affects me when I look at it, how it sounds and how it makes me feel.

16. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I race a 2016 SR3 RSX in the Radical Cup series, and the 488 handles almost as well as the Radical. Absolutely flat and glued to the pavement at insane speeds through corners. I never dreamed a street car on street tires could handle this well.

It’s also gorgeous, with fabulous fit and finish and a beautiful exhaust note. The only way I would sell my 488 GTB is to swap it for the more hardcore variant when it arrives.

The 488 GTB has received accolade after accolade, from the engine to the total package. Its Laguna lap time is damn close to our Radical times. Don’t believe the haters. Ferrari is at the top of its game.

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I believe the question was " Any owners regret buying the 488". Not how much do you love the car and how beautiful is it.

Rarely does one express negative feelings towards a very expensive purchase. The critique only is voiced once the item is sold. So the question of this post will in all likelihood be answered by former 488 owners. All current owners will go on about how much they love car and how gorgeous it is.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  18. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy

Some people remain independent - I have one incoming for various reasons and think it is one of Ferrari's weakest cars in 10 years.

19. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Interested to hear your reasons.

Shadowfax likes this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I was very vocal about not loving my Speciale while I owned it. I preferred my prior Italia's vocals and grip. I find the 488 Spider to be wonderful.
    All said, I may go back to a 458 spider or maybe add a Speciale but greatly mod the exhaust and add newer PZero's.

100badboy100 likes this.
  21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    LOL! Sorry, I guess my answer is “no”. Perhaps, you prefer that informative response? Buddy, I know what I like and what I don’t, and have admitted regret on multiple expensive purchases throughout my 50 years. Thank you for your “valuable” input.

Shadowfax, Napoli, anishka and 3 others like this.
  22. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    No offence intended, sorry if a little direct, I am really excited about mine and love Ferrari. Just think that Mac has moved the game on - design flair (whether you like or not it's AMBITIOUS), interiors, use of structural carbon, more sophisticated suspension, incredible La Ferrari T style carbon and glass roof on 720, LT was incredible. Best steering ever, I find F too light.

Not a fan of air scoops, lazy styling and hated on earlier Macs and Audi R8, eliminated on 720 with amazing hollow door design, Ferrari went for a crude option.

Interior is unremarkable. Fussy and awful ergonomics and Nav etc.

There is less lag on 488 engine than Mac which is clearly intended to make it feel more N/A, thats a great engineering achievement but I think arguably while more purist its a touch less exciting. When my 675 went on boost it was popping and crackling, amazing, suspect Ferrari feeling more N/A is technically harder but maybe more subdued.

I think 488 should have been launched with 700BHP plus and I think Mac caught them flat footed.

I was at 70th at Silverstone yesterday and loads of Mac talk among Ferrari fans. I think Lambo has never been a proper competitor and the best tribute to increased competition is that the 488VS should be really incredible.

I think the 488 is statistically better than 458, but probably not as big a step as 430 to 458, guess the latter was an all new car.

I am critical of mine, my 458 SA scuttle shaken infuriates me. Again Mac has loads less scuttle.

Ferrari clearly far superior automotive and makes own engines, Mac buys all in. Respect for being engineers and motorsport Ferrari wins hands down.

No offence intended we are all so lucky, but my advice sign up for 488VS, will be a stonker.

23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Not offended at all. Genuinely curious. Very interesting & think you are spot on. On scuttle shake, my 430 spider wobbled like jelly even over slightly bumpy roads I ended up parting company. CF tubs got spiders like Mac will be hard for Ferrari to beat with their aluminium chassis.

I've tried for the VS but looks like you need a current 488 at least in the UK to qualify. Have an 812 incoming, so guess I'll just wait to try a 720.

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Sold my 488 Spider. Kept my 458.

TheDiffuser and Brian L like this.
  25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    My thoughts exactly. I would never trade a 458 for a 488, regardless of version. My personal taste. I would only buy a 488 if that meant don't selling my 458.

That said I just would like to add that I can't think of a single reason why anyone would regret buying a 488.

Kind regards,

Nuno.