Headrest removal? | FerrariChat

Headrest removal?

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Jul 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Sorry couldn't do a search from my phone. How does the headrest come off?

Thanks,

Manny

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 cls, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The clips were missing on my 246 so they just pulled out, but there should be two clips at the bottom of each headrest that have to be removed. They're accessible after removing the back panel. I forget what they're called (replacements are available at a hardware store.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    The clips that Chris shows go in a slot in the tube into which the headrests are inserted. When you push on them, they flex out of the way of the notches in the headrest "shaft". The tough part is finding them - one per headrest.

Mine, if I remember correctly are on the outside tube, but if you can see which headrest shaft has notches in it - that's the side. The bulbous part of the clis is probably 1" or less to the inside - the area between the two tubes. The pressure point is just to the side of the tube, not centered between the headrest posts, (as I read a long time ago).

So, push on the seat material just to the inside of the headrest tube - feeling for the clip. If you're able to locate it, it will allow you to lift the headrest out.

I think it is more magic than science - sorry, I didn't take a picture when I had my seats re-skinned...

Ken

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On my 308, I found replacements at Osh that worked perfectly.
    I'd take pictures, but lucky for me, my 246 seats are at the upholsterer.

5. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Ken, you're not kidding about it not being science. So far, I'm an utter failure. But I will try again. Never give up. Never surrender.

I removed the passenger seat headrest a few years ago when my son was born to put in a child seat. I remember I didn't know how to remove them. So I removed the rear seat panel and I removed the staples holding the upholstery. I was trying not to go there with the driver seat.

Manny

6. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I just went out to my car and tried the passenger side. If you push in on the seat material, you'll feel the tubes into which the headrests insert. I then pushed in on the leather about 20mm to the inside of each tube and could just feel the clip - not well but it gave me enough confidence to put more pressure. While pushing on the clip, I lifted on the headrest and out it came. I my case the clip was on the inside of the left tube - yours may be on the right side. There is no need to remove the seat back.

The clips are those shown in #2 above and as you push in on the "head" it deflects straight portion away from the notch in the headrest shaft. I've tried to provide a link to a thread showing the notches - I hope it works for you.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/302989-do-headrests-come-out.html#post140031469

7. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Re-reading my posts in that link and knowing how I eventually removed the passenger head rest does not bode well for the driver side. I'm disappointed in myself for not remembering how things are laid out in the seat (good grief, that was 7 years ago). But this time, I'm determined to find the "sweet spot". Thanks Ken.

8. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    #8 Ken Ivey, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    SUCCESS! Thanks to everyone for your assistance in this matter. Once you know, it's so easy.