Hissing noise | FerrariChat

Hissing noise

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by LjT, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Greeting to all,

Recently got a chance to drive my 550, car fluids were changed but when I drove I found a hissing or whining noise in the front when I lift the clutch. What could cause the noise? And also sad to report the intermittent slowdown light still there after the car is hot and go slow in a slow traffic flow. i am thinking of trading it for a 430 but looking at it I hesitated again. Anyone has any idea to the problem?

Thanks

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Just to make sure we're on the same page, please define "lift the clutch". Some would assume you're lifting your foot off the pedal, while others may think you're lifting the clutch discs off the flywheel.

So when you "lift" the clutch are you pressing the clutch pedal down, or releasing the pedal?

For the Slowdown light, I read some of your previous posts, where you replaced the thermocouples for the cats, but did you ever replace the Cat ECU's, AKA "Slowdown" ECU's?

3. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi John

I mean lifting my foot off the clutch pedal. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I have changed thermocouples but not the ECU.

Regardd

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

For the Slowdown Lights, if you think there's a possibility that the alarm is real, you'll need a Ferrari diagnostic computer or a good OBD2 reader (if your car is equipped for OBD2?) Then you can read the Cat temperatures directly with one of those, and tell if the SDL is real or not.

If you're happy that the SDL's are bogus, you really should change out those Cat ECU's (aka SDECU's) as they're known to go bad far more often than the thermocouples themselves.

Both Ricambi in the US and Superformance in the UK have these ECU's.

For the whining/hissing noise that you mention, when releasing the clutch pedal, does it do it when the car is coasting in neutral, or only when it's in gear? If only when it's in gear, does it do it under deceleration as well as acceleration?

5. LjT

LjT Karting

Feb 26, 2013
    John

The noise is ther when I press the pedal and release pedal. No noise when cruising. Can faulty lambda sensor causes a slowdown flash when car is idling and incorrect mix of too rich fuel unburnt?

Regards

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

LJT, if you're hearing the noise only when using the clutch, I'd be suspicious of the throwout bearing.

For the slowdown alarm, IF the alarm is real, and the cat(s) are getting too hot, then yes it could be a bad O2 sensor, a malfunctioning MAF, injector(s) that are sticking, ignition misfire, etc......

Are you getting the slowdown alarm only on one bank or both intermittently? If it's only on one bank, try switching around the slowdown ECU's and see if the alarm moves to the other bank.