Need help stripping frame undercoating | FerrariChat

Need help stripping frame undercoating

Discussion in '308/328' started by BLACK HORSE, Sep 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I need some advice from you guys who went through this process before… I’m restoring my engine bay on my 308 GTS QV. I pulled out the engine, tanks, suspension, and all small components already. In the next few weeks I want to repaint the frame but first I need to remove the old undercoating. I was thinking of using a high power washing using extremely hot water and degreaser solution. Then I was going to use a wire wheel / drill to strip off what’s left. Does anyone have any advice they want to share? I saw old threads on this but no one actually explain the steps involved. Since my car is red of course I probably will see red overspray under the undercoating on the frame.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Are you gonna go down to the metal?

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I used stripper, aircraft stripper, and then a wire brush to get tough spots when I took all the crap undercoating off the suspension pieces on my Dino. They had sprayed it EVERYWHERE!! Worked well, made a mess. Work outside put down a sheet of plywood and then a tarp over top before you start to catch anything that drips off.

For small stuff, maybe a metal bucket with stripper, and dip, then strip,

D

4. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I wasn't planning on it but if that's the case then sure...

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    If you are talking about the Dinotrol or Cosomoline that is there to protect the frame from corrosion. Yes it is messy and gets soft over time. I found the WD40 works very well to remove it. No need for aggressive paint stripper. Just know what you will use to replace it after you remove it all. Wurth stone guard is a good product to keep the original look if that is important to you.

6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yeah I was planning to replace the original Dinotrol undercoat with Wurth's stone guard spray.... So I'm assuming the WD40 loosens the Dinotrol and you just scrape it off... right? Did you use a putty knife? How lone did you have to wait after spraying on the WD40?

7. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    WD40 works pretty fast. I used paper towels and a plastic, no metal, putty knife where it's caked on. As you work it you'll create a flow.

8. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From my limited experience with the stuff I've noticed that it pretty much dissolves when gas gets on it so if a mild petroleum based product like WD-40 works then that would be the way to go. I wouldn't use a wire wheel or strip the paint off the frame unless you find rust under it. If your car has always been in California that's going to be unlikely. The factory coating (under the goop) should still be good so what you are really after is cosmetic in nature, you just want it to look good. If you're not restoring corroded metal no need to be aggressive.

tatcat likes this.
  9. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    After you used the WD40, which leaves a little residue, did you power wash everything before painting? Or does WD40 dissolves on its own?

10. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Avoid power washing, can cause all sorts of issues. Like any good paint prep a light degreasing like diluted Dawn soap, let dry then wipe down with denatured alcohol

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I'm wondering why you want to of this? The Dinitrol is the original coating & I suspect that as you strip it off you'll be amazed at what good shape the metal is in - in other words it has done its job brilliantly.That being the case, why change it?

I'd leave well alone, buy some more & top it up where needed with a brush.

12. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob

To restore and preserve a car that’s 32 years old :)

13. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The judge will deduct points if you don't have the original dinitrol or preservatives. :D

14. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The way they applied the brown Dinitrol was a real mess, all over everything including rack boots, shocks, wiring, hoses, etc.

Removing it exposes the original factory black epoxy coating (at least on 328) which looks much better and is fine for rust protection.

I tried various methods but in the end, brushing with white spirit, leave 15 mins, wire brush to score the surface, apply more white spirit, repeat until its gone. Also WD40 does work for removing it from hoses etc. The key is you have to wait for whatever you use to work for a while after applying it.

The white spirit does not affect the black epoxy coat.

I can confirm from experience that concours do not deduct for not having this brown muck.

15. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You should know me by now Mike, :) after owning my car for the last 15 years I never entered my car for judging, so I don't really care if this restoration deducts point or not, its me that I'm pleasing...

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I know Rob, I was just teasing you, but I agree 100%, You as the owner of your own car is the best judge to please if you ask me.