OK, let's talk early 308 interior carpet..... | FerrariChat

OK, let's talk early 308 interior carpet.....

Discussion in '308/328' started by BigTex, Sep 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What does GAHH, World Upholstery or others show, for the early '75 thru '79 cars??

It should be a "loop pile" in lieu of the later nylon "plush" style.
    Is there a vendor we know that has the correct loop style carpet??

Maybe ReOriginals, sure....but outside of that??
    Thanks in advance.....

NoGoSlow likes this.
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It's worth giving them a call. The person I talked to when I phoned GAHH a couple of years ago was quite knowledgeable about 308s. I was looking to have factory-style floor mats sewn (I have since scored a pair of NOS). He said that the carpet they sold was sufficiently different that it could not be blended into an existing carpet set like I had hoped. He said however that the carpet they had was very similar to factory 308 carpeting and made a very good refurbishment; you just had to replace all the carpeting at the same time. Presumably it was "loop pile" as you note.

Regarding the floor mats, he also said that I would have to supply the rubber inserts ("Mr. Fiat" sells them), but they could reproduce the factory edge binding.

3. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Tex, I'm curious... did all 308 years/models have nylon carpet? Were certain years wool? Thanks...J

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe I bought mine from World, I'd have to go back and look. It looked good once installed. BUT....I found a piece of what I'm assuming is factory original carpet up under the dash when I was ripping things out. It was MUCH denser and thicker pile. Makes me think it was wool originally. Mine was an early '78. Not sure if the other companies material is any closer to the original stuff or not.

5. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I checked my US QV Factory Sales Brochure, QV Factory Press Kit and the Bluemel book and I cannot find a description of the type of carpet in any of them. From memory, I think I read somewhere that it is "Wilton Wool", but I have no idea where I got that idea from. My QV carpets certainly look and feel like wool. I would be surprised if any 308 carpeting was anything but wool.

6. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you Brian. I have some Wilton wool and Nylon samples and they are very hard to tell apart.

7. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Based on the discoloration of my original carpet (78), I'd say mine was nylon. Also I remember it as cut pile not loop.

I still have it so I'll dig some out and check if its nylon or not, cut pile or not.

8. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Pretty sure my 78 had pile in the interior and loop in the trunk.

9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I also got mine from World. It's actually much nicer than what came out!

10. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thought you sold out of your Ferraris. Guess I wasn't paying close attention when I was in Scottsdale.

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I still have the yellow one, 22127
    Mom just sold my childhood home, 127 22nd Avenue...:D :D

Thanks everyone...I have the rubber inserts, and they also have snap fittings that anchor them to the fiberglass floor.

I was under impression the 308s interiors was the same as the trunk inserts, originally. "Conventional wisdom" was the 308s had nylon, but the 12s got the Wilton wool. We matched some Rolls Royce Wilton perfectly for a Boxer restoration, but we used the blue of my #22641 as a guide to the color.

As I am doing the whole thing, I guess it's ok if I can't get exact stuff!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks, that marks 1978 as the revision, then....

I may call ReOriginals and see what they say.....they moved from Houston way out to the middle of nowhere!
    Well, deep East Texas....LOL!