Pictures relating to George Arents' racing | FerrariChat

Pictures relating to George Arents' racing

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Leilani, Apr 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    I have developed a thirst to learn more about what George raced. and his part in the Ferrari story ...slowly i am getting that together, with some help. I have very few photos and would like see if there are F-chatters who might be willing to share.

Of course all copyrights will be honored. If you would rather keep our conversation private, i respect that, and invite you to send me an email or PM...my contact info is all there.

Here's a synopsis that was shared with me (many thanks)

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/George-Arents-USA.html

~~~~~~~~~~~fingers crossed~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    #2 Leilani, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
    just my newbie-ness showing :/

hmmm, for some reason I thought in that thread part of the addy dropped out

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #3 GIOTTO, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    Merci beaucoups Francis! I have my grandfathers diecast model of this very car! i have often wondered the purpose of the piece of what looks like plexiglass, in front of the pilot on the bonnet.....my ponderings lead me to think it for aerodynamics- but what for? to keep bugs off the windscreen? or to settle down the rear wheels, keeping the rear of the car pushed down? am i even close?

here i go thinking again, is there any way to find out which pilot was driving the car when during the race?

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    To keep bugs off the windscreen !!!

6. Gramps

Gramps Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Stafford Virginia, USA
    Full Name:
    Gary McNutt
    #6 Gramps, Apr 11, 2009
  7. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The idea was to act as a primary air dam to interrupt and cause a vortex action to bring any debris up and over the windshield. Sometimes given the nick-name bug screen. The main purpose was for oil rather than bugs which would smear and really limit visibility. Having raced many period cars with them, in reality they are only marginally effective but they do look cool!

Cheers,

Bill

8. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    merci Francis! that's what i thought was most likely.

my grandfather also spoke of requesting what was, at that time a non-stock 5-point restraint seat belt as opposed to the more typical lap belt...not for safety reasons relating to (God forbid) a crash, but to reduce fatigue on the drivers part......

any ideas out there as to what year the 5 point harness might have been originally available?

9. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    Good Mornin' Gramps:) Nice to meet you! Thank you immensely for sharing these photos, they are all new to me! Man, that 290MM is a beautiful machine! Were you there those years perhaps?

Good morning Bill :D the gearhead in me appreciates the detail of your answer, and loving it! Grumpy mentioned having the same concerns with some single engine aeroplanes he flew back in the 1940's, that as the 12 pistons made their cycle around, a small amount of sooted oil escaped...and made vision difficult if not impossible.
    many thanks~

10. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    #10 ColdWater, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    Agree with Bill, but there is one more reason - to keep the wipers from lifting off the windshield. I believe that this was the primary reason why such a screen was fitted to the Alfa Romeo Giulietta (and Giulia) Sprint Speciale.

Don

PS - Could any English speaker imagine a better name for a racing driver than "de Vroom" ?

11. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Car n°10 is 290MM #0616. Le Mans 57.
    Car n°18 is 250GT #1461GT. Le Mans 59, not 1960. (The 1960 car was #1931GT, and was also yellow with n°18).
    Car n°19 is 250GT #2725GT. Le Mans 61.

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #12 GIOTTO, Apr 11, 2009
    I can't say who took this photo but it's a scan from Dominique Pascal's book Ferrari au Mans.
    #2725GT at Le Mans 1961. I think George Reed is the pilot on the right with the white jacket. So the other must be George Arents.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    Hi Don! very intriguing point- thank you!

Francis- thank you for the clarification:) do you recognise the car in my brand new avatar? :D

It looks very much like him indeed- the Arents profile is pretty distinct :) What a great photo!!

14. 121 LM

121 LM Guest

Dec 4, 2006
    France
    Full Name:
    Antoine Legrand
  15. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    Merci, merci beaucoups Antoine * *
    Magnifique!

Seeing the leather bonnet buckles and straps reminded me og Grump talking about one race.....it had been raining during the day, and the Porsche's were having difficulty that day- it seems the differential housing was getting very very warm, and the rain splashing up from the road was cold enough ( and apparently a casting flaw)that the housing would crack and the car would be done. During that race, his car was challenging because the back end was 'loose',all day.....a pit was made in the middle of the night. The pt crew, in their haste ( and the dark) did not fasten the buckle properly (unbeknownst to the driver) and he took off into the dark night- the hood lifted a little, the ass-end settled down and they placed well!

the third photo also caught my eye! The two figures, just above the fellow in the red shirt- sitting on the wall- are my two Aunts. My Mom was present that day, but apparently was "not where she was supposed to be" when the photo was taken. Mom tells of Taffy Von Tripps warning her that her father was ticked off that she wasn't where she was supposed to be.....

I haven't stopped smiling all morning!

16. 121 LM

121 LM Guest

Dec 4, 2006
    France
    Full Name:
    Antoine Legrand
    #16 121 LM, Apr 12, 2009
  17. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    Merci Antoine :) Another gem unearthed! i had heard of the Clermont-Ferrand circuit, this is my first view of any race there.

Merci beaucoup pour vous aider et de l'interet!

L-

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Welcome! These are great pictures and stories, are there any Ferrari's still with your family?
    Erik

19. 121 LM

121 LM Guest

Dec 4, 2006
    France
    Full Name:
    Antoine Legrand
    #19 121 LM, Apr 13, 2009
  20. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Does anyone remember something in an old Cavallino about the earliest disc brakes on the SWBs not being as good as the fully developed drums? My foggy recollection is this may have been a letter to the editor from George Arents. I am lazy so hoping someone also remembers this so I can avoid going issue by issue to find it.

Jeff

21. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    a friendly bump

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have you looked in the attic, for the 'dusty box"??? :D :D :D

Certainly there is one, with his helmet, driving gloves and a scrapbook or something....

The recent book "Bugatti Queen" was totally written around two scrapbooks of clippings found in European Flea Markets, after she passed away.....thankfully someone realized what they were, and reunited the pair....

A great read, by the way....she started as a dancer, in Paris.

Back to your thread.........

23. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #23 Jeff Kennedy, Apr 21, 2009
  24. Leilani

Leilani Karting

Mar 26, 2009
    Hither Thither & Yon
    Full Name:
    Trouble in turn 3
    I wish that there was a 'dusty box' in the attic! Grump was not one to save stuff- he liked living fully in the moment present....He had saved a few pieces of his memorabelia (sp?) and had them preserved in a shadow box frame....that a family member has.....I have his model replicas and the one photo he had on his library shelf. i wish i knew where THE steeringwheel went that used to be on his wall in the study.

I was with him when i saw my first Bugatti at Laguna Seca, with protruding metal eyes that the body panels were 'laced' together with wire.....when i have access to a scanner I'd be glad to share some of the pics! I knew that the evolution from exposed rivets to smooth body panels had happened- but that little piece of history was a real eye opener!

From what i can gather from talking to Mom- he wasn't racing for a title- he loved driving and having over -the- top cars, and would be intrigued by a tracks configuration and would decide to go there to investigate. So it's a challenge to figure out where he was when!

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    #25 Jeff Kennedy, Apr 21, 2009