Renault to split with Red Bull – report | FerrariChat

Renault to split with Red Bull – report

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Sep 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Renault are reportedly set to end their engine deal with Red Bull, informing the former champions that they will not supply them once their current contract expires.

Renault’s relationship with Red Bull have been fraught since the introduction of the 1.6l V6 engines in 2014.

That season marked the end of Red Bull’s run of titles with the Milton Keynes squad claiming just six race wins in the ensuing four years.

And although the relationship appears to have improved during this year’s campaign, Renault are set to end the partnership.

“Sportsmail has learned that the French manufacturers have concluded that their fractious relationship with the Red Bull team has run its course, and will no longer supply them with engines from 2020,” reports the Daily Mail.

This rumoured split comes in the wake of reports that Renault will power McLaren from next season onwards, confirmation of which is expected to come on Friday in Singapore.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/renault-to-split-with-red-bull-report/

2. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Maybe they want to get rid of a rival of their own team if Honda keeps underdelivering.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly my thinking.

Lot of pressure on Red Bull and Honda now. If Honda doesn't deliver next year Red Bull stands to lose great drivers, and none in the immediate pipeline.

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The Clash said it best for Red Bull - Should I stay or should I go :)

6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    IF they go, great opportune time for Porsche to buy out the team???

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think Porsche might be seriously considering it...and Red Bull would dtay as a sponsor...

8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    SEPTEMBER 14, 2017

Ricciardo to consider leaving Red Bull after 2018

Daniel Ricciardo says he will consider leaving Red Bull if the energy drink owned team can't deliver him a title challenging car in 2018.

The Australian has driven for the team since 2014, and before that Red Bull's junior outfit Toro Rosso.

But he told the Sun newspaper that as he will be out of contract at the end of next year, his desire to win means he might consider leaving the Red Bull camp.

"We have still managed to get podiums but we haven't realistically been in the championship hunt so it really needs to happen with Red Bull next year -- at least from my point of view," 28-year-old Ricciardo said.

"I've been here for quite a few years now and I think next year we need to make a bigger step next year than we did this year, to really convince me that I can win with them."

Ricciardo said he would like Red Bull to step up with a winning car next year so he could "complete the story" after being groomed by the energy drink company.

"Do I want to win with them? Absolutely. I think that would complete the story as well. Seb got to complete it -- he is the only guy. So my heart would love to. But we will see," he said.

"I have got decisions to make once my Red Bull contract is up. It is the first time in my professional career that I've been a free agent.

"The next contract I sign, whether it is an extension or a new one, it is unlikely to be for just one year, it is probably three years. So that is a big part of the next step in my career," Ricciardo added.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well that spices things up a bit! RB primed for the exit door. Who cares. They aren't a legacy team anyway. Hopefully Porsche will do the decent thing and buy them as has been suggested above.

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    All Nice to talk about after 2018. For me the only message is that they will be forced to use this Renault crap for another 1,5 year

11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ha! I called this yesterday on the Autosport board...

daytona355 likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If Honda makes a comeback (and I believe they will) McLaren will go down in history for making the two biggest BLUNDERS in F1 history

1) Dumping Mercedes for Honda
    2) Dumping Honda for Renault

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    3)Hanging on to Alonso

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Agreed. Alonso is talented a but also a whiner and not a team player. At best he has 2 more good years left, less if the Renault engine gives him problems.

I don't think Renault is going to be too accepting if Alonso bad mouthing them as he did Honda.

15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If Honda is suddenly good next year it does perfectly coincide with "poor career decisions by Alonso".

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO Zak Brown is the guy they need to sack. He's been holding on to Alonso and defending him over his own team's sponsor.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WE have a winner, lololo

moretti likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To be fair he's dragged that thing to places where it doesn't belong, sadly mostly on qualifying only as after another great start, the **** engine means he'll continue losing places at most tracks until it either dies or he's parked it.

19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No power, no power, gp2 engine, gp2 engine!!!

20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's an alluring thought.

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Nope. Zak Brown was supposed to be the deal maker genius to bring sponsors to McLaren. Instead he sided with his star driver who he let shoot his mouth off and even piling on insulting their best sponsor.

I understand the frustration of McLaren but why rub their own sponsor's noses in it every race from a prima Donna driver at the end of his career?

22. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He just said the Porsche thing won't happen,and 2019 will have to wait and see.But talking about Aston in the future ,possibly with the new engine regs 2021.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    When asked about Red Bull's 2019 engine, Christian Horner all but confirmed that Renault were leaving them, he stated that both Ferrari and Mercedes had already made it clear that they would not supply engines to Red Bull, and then strangely, declared that Red Bull was in the driving seat now when it came to sorting out a 2019 engine deal.

Considering that there are currently 4 engine manufacturers in F1 right now, and 3 of them want nothing to do with Red Bull in 2019, that statement seems to be a bit strange to Me!

As I see it, both Aston Martin and Porsche don't want to even contemplate making an engine/power-unit to the current spec due to the cost and complexity involved, they're currently weighing up coming in for 2021 when the power-units should be simpler and cheaper to make, so from 2019~2021, Red Bull's only option would be to join Toro Rosso and fit the Honda power-unit (h̶o̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ praying that Honda finally make a competitive power-unit in the process)

That to Me does not suggest that Red Bull are in the driving seat when it comes to getting a competitive power-unit!