Returning 1961 Vignale spyder 1341 to the road | FerrariChat

Returning 1961 Vignale spyder 1341 to the road

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jan 21, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Recently I acquired 1961 Vignale spyder #1341 that had been for over 20 years in an on-and-off restoration by the previous owner. I had befriended the previous owner many years ago as he research how to properly restore the car.
    The car was not running when he purchased it so my guess is this Vignale spyder has not been driven in 30 or 40 years.
    Much work has already been done but much remains to do, and some of it redone. I remain in contact with the previous owner and have promised to let him drive it when it is done.

These photos were taken last December when I went to see the car in Long Island, NY.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, Schultz, audi_328 and 13 others like this.
  2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    What a beauty!

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Beautiful colour combination. I look forward very much to seeing your progress Ivan. Can’t think of a better custodian.

Best regards.
    Mark

Ferraripilot likes this.
  4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The good:
    Great original color combination of "Bleu sera with pelle neutra"
    Original numbers matching engine
    Original Weber carbs
    Borrani wire wheels
    5-speed gearbox
    Disc brakes on all four wheels
    Body in great shape with good gaps
    Excellent chrome and glass
    Interior partially done (extra leather included)
    Diamond shape material for hood and trunk included
    Gauges have been restored
    New wiring hardness installed (and mostly working)
    99% of the parts are present

The not so good:
    Paint will need to be redone (although bodywork should be minimal)
    All hydraulics will need to be redone
    Much detailing needed on in the undercarriage and engine compartment
    All hoses, belts and clamps will need replacement
    Carbs need to be rebuilt
    Gas tank needs to be cleaned and sealed
    Front suspension is to be disassembled
    Soft top will need to be made
    Engine leaking oil from head gasket
    .... I am sure to find much more

My goal is for the car to be a nice #2 condition reliable driver. The biggest question is the condition of the engine.

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and Ferraripilot like this.
  5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,

congrats for your purchase! Looking forward to the various stages of the resto. The car deserves to get finished...

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Congrats to you! What's the deal with the paint? The photos not showing some problem areas? I know you will do a fabulous job as usual.

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    There are tiny bubbles on the top of the fenders. Apparently the car was in primer when the engine rebuild was being done and the mechanics covered the car in a tarp which attracted moister. Those areas will need to be sanded down. I am not a big fan of blending areas therefore it would be best to just re-spray the whole car.

Ivan

8. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That is an amazing acquisition! Have fun. I hope there will be an event to show it at.

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    One of the first things I did was to pressure wash the engine compartment and the undercarriage. This will help me determine where exactly is the oil leak(s). The undercarriage has been sprayed with a hard rough-like material which is fine for the floors. Unfortunately they sprayed it unto components such as the differential, suspension parts, gas tank, brake calipers, etc. As I go through the car one of the objectives is to remove that material from areas where it does not belong.

Since the car has been sitting for such a long time the carbs and gas tank are all gummed up and the brakes dragging. The first photo shows one of the front calipers before it was taken apart. Notice the black material on the caliper.

Some of the pistons were very difficult to remove. You can see the rust on the pistons. I will be installing new stainless pistons.
    Tech tip: sometimes compressed air alone will not release a caliper piston. I then install a grease fitting and use the grease gun to force the piston out. On calipers with dual pistons usually only one piston will want to come out. Once that piston is out reinsert it only a little and then use a C-clamp to hold it in place, Air and/or grease will the force the second piston

Calipers blasted and painted with Eastwood brake paint which is resistant to brake fluid

10. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hi Ivan...

Good tip on removing the pistons from calipers! I have also used compressed air on calipers
    and it worsk well! I'll have to remember the grease fitting and grease gun tip if I ever run into
    trouble removing any pistons...

Mike

71Satisfaction likes this.
  11. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fabulous car. I look forward to your progress, and postings on this site.
    Color combo..... can't be beat.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    This is the build sheet. First owner was Princess Bristavi; but I could not get a hit on Google to find out a bit more about her. She had a Fifth Avenue New York City address which according to Google maps is right in front of Central Park.

Ivan

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #13 Nembo1777, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    Love the rabbit holes of exploring obscure nobility and aristocrats.

The name if you look very closely is in fact Eristavi.

There is no trace of a Diane but this one, Mary, has a Wiki page. She would be more likely to be Diane's mother but lived in Paris and there is no mention of a daughter...or niece.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Eristavi
    Certainly the genes of a lady who would receive a Vignale spyder as gift or buy one, looking splendid at the wheel as she was an early model of Coco Chanel; "Mary is sometimes believed to be the hopeless infatuation of Galaktion Tabidze, one of the leading Georgian poets of the time.":)

Then. bingo! There is this one:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153759055/diana-marie-eristavi

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-indianapolis-news-diana-rockwood-and/19967644/

https://www.nytimes.com/1936/08/03/archives/large-party-held-in-the-berkshires-mrs-george-rockwood-and-her.html

If you Google Eristavi New York you will get a couple of hits, one who might have been the son or relative of this Diane passed away:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/nyregion/constantine-sidamon-eristoff-environmental-advocate-dies-at-81.html

There are at least three more, living, Eristavi men in NY so talking to them might yield memories: good luck and let us know!

Schultz, audi_328, tritone and 3 others like this.
  14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks Marc for that great research!
    Ivan

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well I am not much use working on cars but enjoy digging for info, glad to help:)!

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ivan,
    the Princess was at the time of the purchase related to Prince Igor Troubetzkoy, a wealthy amateur racing driver who had participated in the 1948 Targa Florio with a Ferrari:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Troubetzkoy

tritone likes this.
  17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If vintage Maseratis could talk imagine the tales you might hear from this car!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Absolutely beautiful! What a thrill to see one on the road.

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The fuel tank was removed as it will need to be cleaned and sealed. I will be using the Bill Hirsch tank cleaner and sealer as I've had very good results in the past. The exterior of the tank was covered with the same material that was used for the undercarriage. I've removed most of it but there is still more work to be done to make the exterior of the tank look acceptable.
    Ivan

Ferraripilot likes this.
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Interestingly shaped gas tank, presumably to accommodate the spare?

I did the same with the two gas tanks in my Espada. Those reside mostly in the interior of the car hidden by a leather covered fiberglass panel on each side of the rear luggage area.
    A terrifying prospect should you get badly rear ended. Hey ... nobody ever said these cars were safe to drive LOL. My tanks were simply spayed black and that had rusted a bit. I sprayed the outsides with black truck bed liner which provides some nice abrasive protection and aides at preventing condensation collection on the exterior.

21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Correct, the shape of the gas tank is to accommodate the spare tire. This photo from a different Vignale spyder shows the spare tire. You have to love the leather hold down straps. You must be doing some really serious off road driving for that spare tire to move without the straps.

Ivan

staatsof and 71Satisfaction like this.
  22. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The Webers carbs are all gummed up and the engine barely runs. Luckily I have nine extra 42 DCOE carbs and decided to restore three of them for this car. One of the issues with these carbs is air leaking in through the throttle shafts. The bearings on these carbs are open and rely on grease to make a proper seal. Unfortunately getting to the bearings and greasing them is not easy. By now all of the grease has been washed away and air leaks. The best solution is to replace the bearings with sealed type. I used SKF 607-2RSH bearings which were available for about $5 each on eBay.
    Replacing the bearings is a bit tricky and the shafts could be easily bent so I let the expert take care of that job. I used Mike Pierce at Weber Carburetor Restoration in Salinas, California. He will do a complete carburetor restoration or in my case just replace the bearings.

I have now assembled the carbs and they are ready to be swapped with those currently on the engine

71Satisfaction and Ferraripilot like this.
  23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good idea! I learned that the hard way on one of my Bora's DCNF carbs.
    What does he charge for the bearing installation? I assume he peens the ends of the screws holding the butterflies to the shaft?

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It cost $285 to do the three DCOE bearings. I also had him completely restore the four 42 DCNF from the Ghibli spyder. That cost around $2,100.
    I believe the new butterfly screws are secured with loctite.

On his website you can see he has the Weber equipment to property test the carbs
    https://www.webercarburetorrestoration.com/

Ivan

71Satisfaction and 3500 GT like this.
  25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Only 9 extras??? Bravo sir. Hoping when you get it running there’s nothing seriously wrong inside, looks really clean so hoping it’s just a simple oil leak!