Returning 1961 Vignale spyder 1341 to the road | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Returning 1961 Vignale spyder 1341 to the road

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Jan 21, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Kinda gives a bit different meaning to, "throwing in the towel! Great idea though.
    Sounds terrific.

So what were the mistakes the PO had made that prevented him from getting the car going? I know there was a lot of while your at stuff which you added on.

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Running and sounds super healthy! Love it

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I would not call them mistakes. The only thing I found "wrong" was one of the cam oil line banjo bolts, which had the wrong hole size. It is possible the error was made at the factory.

What many times happens is that people stretch a restoration over too many years and things have to get redone. For example the brakes on this car were done perhaps 15 or 20 years ago but the car sat unused with brake fluid many years and the caliper pistons rusted. Similarly the fuel in the gas tank decomposed and the tank had to be cleaned and coated. The Webers were all gummed up with old fuel, etc. The best thing is to not let a restoration project linger. If you know something is going to take a long time best not to put any fluids in until the parts is ready to go into service.

Ivan

Froggie likes this.
  4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Spot on. Bertocchi would approve