Rust Repair...ughhh | FerrariChat

Rust Repair...ughhh

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Florida330GTC, Mar 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Florida330GTC

Florida330GTC Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    What is the average cost to replace the usual rusty spots on 330 GTC? Rocker panels are both rusty, rear windshield in one spot, nd both rear wheel wells. All the normal spots for this car. It was left ina humid environment for many years and got russty-not left there by me.

The rockers have bubbling and rusted through spots up front, which means worse damage behind that. I know they can cut it out and fabricate new panels. Same with the rear wheel wells. This is just body work no?

It was repainted 20 years ago with no signs of rust at the time. My guess is that paint job wasn't done very well. Or the prep work wasn't.

The car is a driver, just want it to look its best, but by now means a concurs car. Also, interior has be redone, so I guess that has to come out for a respray?? I assume they can put it back in I hope, since it was expensive and I dot want to pay for more Wilton wool, when mine iss brandnew lol.

2. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    My 330GT 2+2 had bad rust in the rocker panel behind the passenger's side wheel well.

I had the bad metal removed, new metal shaped, inserted and welded. This section of about
    6" X 14" was repainted and the paint mixed to have the color of the old, and the new
    paint feathered with the old. I cannot tell where the new paint leaves off and the old
    starts. If I looked really hard, perhaps I could tell.

If I had your car, I would do this to all your rusted spots.

Nothing has to come except perhaps for the rust near your rear window.

You keep saying that your car is a driver. So is mine (except when I have nothing
    else to do I replace things like hoses or hose clamps to make them original.)

But I really think that these classic Ferraris should not be allowed to deteriorate.

And that the needed fixes should be of very good quality so that if the car were
    to be brought up to Concours Level these fixes would not have to be redone.
    Since the car would have to be repainted to be brought to this level, new paint
    on sections is OK if the patches are very hard to determine.

And if you replace parts, replace them with the original parts

You just need a piggy bank to save up for those yellow hoses that cost $5 and inch.

3. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    If you can see these rust bubbles, no doubt there are more areas that you can't see.

If you strip the car, you probably are going to find more things. So, you need to decide how far you are willing to go. $10,000 of repairs can turn into $100,000. Ask me how I know.

Not sure where you are in Florida, but I have found a very reasonable body man in Fort Myers. He did a great job with my 1969 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750. I also had a 1973 BMW e9 coupe restored one of the premier shops up north. That car turned into complete dissasembly and a rotisserie resto of the body. Luckily, my Ferrari is modern--aluminum and galvanized steel.

Scott