Seat Runners | FerrariChat

Seat Runners

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Even in a 38 year life span, how does one (or more) of the DPO's need to buggerise around with the seat runners?

I've just redone the passenger side one, (only had two ball bearings), and now find the driver's side runner has about twenty balls in it!

I thought there should be two rollers and four ball bearings - does anybody know what should be there?

2. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    I would be interested too as mine is very loose

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If it's any help, my 330 GT 2+2 had (I believe) two ball bearings per rail, four per seat.

But 330's also had both short and long seat rails, depending on the year.

Matt

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Matt, just to confuse things, I just found a reference in the Tech Q&A section (from 2006!) that states 24 balls in each side of the rail (48 total per rail).
    Curiouser and curiouser

5. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    what stops the balls all ending up one end? this seems to have happened on mine

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    OK, I think I've figured it out. After stripping, cleaning, and reassembling the driver's seat runner, it seems that 48 balls is right (and two rollers). The outer rail was a bit loose, but some judicious squeezing in the vice has tightened everything up a notch. The length of the train of balls allows a gap that pretty much matches the track length of the rollers in the centre. Now to lube it up and instal - it would be nigh on impossible to grease it before assembly.

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    They do end up at one end, at the extremes of travel, but the rollers move with them to balance things out. Not a perfect system, as when the rail is extended, there's an awful lot of torque forcing the two of them apart.