So, What's Everyone Gonna Do about the front license plate thing? | FerrariChat

So, What's Everyone Gonna Do about the front license plate thing?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bob in Texas, Sep 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Options

I think I need to move to a state without a front license plate requirement...

Or, don't do it and get a $200 fine everytime I pass an LEO.

Or, find one of the non-invasive license plate attachment devices.

What are y'all going to do?? Cave, right? Not much of a choice.

2. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Get your dealer license and drive with a dealer plate. (Front license plate not required with a rear dealer plate.)

:)

3. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Its going in the windshield. when I get to where Im going...throwing it back behind the seat or in the trunk type thing.

4. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Bob!

Yeah, I finally caved on my S4 earlier this year. The stock method involved permanently drilling the bumper cover... no *way*.
    I would get stopped every couple of years, put one on, go to court, get it dismissed (for $10), then take it back off. But when I got stopped 3 times in 2 months (2 of those were in one week!) and the cops started pointing out how their records showed the many times I had been warned/cited, I finally gave in and rigged a non-invasive mount.

If each ding is potentially going to be $200 then I'll just do the same on the 355. Plateclips are nice, but pretty expensive for what they provide. Thinking I might be able to rig something using the tow-eye and a friend's mig welder. Just don't want anything that covers the front cavalino or is invasive in any way.

5. glenv6

glenv6 Formula 3

Jul 4, 2011
    New York
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I'm probably going to get one of these...

Shop Online

6. Austin99

Austin99 Rookie

Dec 7, 2011
    The chance of getting a no front plate ticket while driving the Ferrari is slim to none. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #7 FCOnyx, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Tell that to the motorcycle cops in Round Rock who are in place to do nothing but write citations. I've had 4-wheel cops (especially Highway Patrol) let me slide multiple times in the S4 with no front plate, but the Moto cops in RR were hard line about it every time.

You might be right, and I *hate* to sully the car with an ugly plate on the front, but I'm sick of being hassled by cops whose sole purpose is to write traffic citations... which means they're itching to do it.

I've already had one whip a 180 in traffic to come up on my tail, then saw I was still on paper plates, so he backed off. He might have just been coming to get a look at the car, but I doubt it, they all seem poised to nail a "rich guy" (not true) in a Ferrari.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Tillman has had one of those for a while, it's well made.

I think it was Dr. Who that made a color copy of his plate on cardboard and put it in the windshield. Good idea.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Rather than drilling holes in your bumper or mounting to the thin aluminum grill veins, how about something thats attached via tow hook mount?

Example:License Ferrari License Plate Holder

10. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    *Exactly* what I was planning to build.

11. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick

This is going to be my approach as well. Have never been stopped in Austin over last 10 months with 458 Italia. Will see how things go.

12. DNJS328

DNJS328 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 25, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Full Name:
    Don P.
    Is that a legal alternative?

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    After living/driving in Tx for 13 years, without front license plates on the p and f cars - and NOT one cop bothering me in DFW, East Tx, Austin or Hill country in ALL that time, it's now come down to bracket selection? Life will not end I suppose.

Looks like the clip bracket won't fit a 360 (plus I have the challenge grills) so, I guess I'll go Toe...

Probaly be a run on the brackets as the word spreads.

14. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    no plate for me. I still think they will not stop JUST because of no plate. Been no plate for 25 years and been stopped once with a warning. So rolling the dice myself..

15. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I don't think im gonna take the chance. It's an easy ticket for a cop.

I take it back that I can't use the "clip-type" bracket. I just had to scroll through the website mentioned above - there's one for a 360. The clip type is $190, the toe hook bracket is $65. Hmmm...

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This isn't a new fine. This is only correcting the prior bill, HB2357, which stated there was no fine associated with having ANY license plates on your car.

Rep Pickett, from El Paso, accidentally left out the passage about the fine in the 11th hour. He requested for comments from Judge Abbott, but they were never answered. This implied the law would be fixed next time around. This is that time, and that's why you see the fine associated as it has been in the past.

Without a fine (from Jan 1, 2011 to August 31st, 2013) associated with the infraction, it could be dismissed. The argument follows this line of logic: Fine not associated with license plates in the law, municipal courts handle class c misdemeanors with fines up to $500, since no fine was associated with this infraction, the municipal court is out of jurisdiction.

In Dec 2012, I was ticketed for not having a front license plate and argued this in court... and won (eventually after many trips downtown).

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fabspeed makes a mount that bolts to the undertray, I put one on my 355 after a couple of tickets. Not worth the hassle and it looks like it belongs as well as can be. 3 bolts and it comes off but I haven't touched it since I put it on.

19. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Ask Tillman, he's almost a lawyer! :D

20. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Whether placing a plate loose on the dash actually satisfies the legal requirement is controversial. Most seem to think it does not.

However, it is certainly a safety hazard. Just imagine the potential injuries caused by a sharp edged metal plate slicing around the cabin in an accident, or even under extreme braking or acceleration.

I hope nobody actually tries this particular solution.

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I caved (using the stock hardware) -- shortly after moving to Round Rock, a partrol car officer let me off with a warning, but assured me that the vast majority of his fellow officers would write it up (and it was only $100 then).

22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well, I just ordered the toe hook bracket. Of course if my car ever gets out of the shop, I'll put it on... And cringe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

23. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #23 GrigioGuy, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    I am not a lawyer.

But:

Here's the leading case regarding the placement of the front plate: Spence v. State, 325 S.W.3d 646 (2010)

Google Scholar

To quote the court: "We conclude that the plain language of Texas Transportation Code § 502.404(a) requires that a license plate be displayed at the foremost part or front of a vehicle, most commonly the front bumper."

Since that point, the law has been amended to resolve some ambiguity. Now it defers to the DMV to create rules that define the location of the plate.

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

I have been unable to find the "department rules" online and don't feel like logging into the specialty tools, but it's clear that they Legislature has passed the buck to the DMV for the specifics. I would be surprised to find that the rules don't match the ruling in Spence, but I've been wrong before. I would also expect that a copy of a plate would not be considered to be the plate "assigned by the department for the period."

If anyone has contacts within the DMV, it would be enlightening to see what they have on their books.

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just spoke with the TXDMV and I was told "it is still an offense to not have a front license plate". The rep referred me to the TLO website but it is just too dang confusing for me.

25. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just ordered one myself. The guy at FD said they have been flying out the door, all to TX, NY and CA. I guess we three states must have all enacted new/higher penalties.