Sotheby's Auction of 70th 488 Spider Euro 1 million + | FerrariChat

Sotheby's Auction of 70th 488 Spider Euro 1 million +

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Scraggy, Sep 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Does anyone share my bemusement at the liveried metallic green 488 Spider 70th Anniversary achieving over Euro 1 million at auction,

I have one coming in (in reasonable livery compared to some) and the best I hoped for was modest depreciation......what is going on ?

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I was there at the auction. Given the venue, Maranello - 70th anniversary weekend, it was a trigger happy crowd. Plus it was an unregistered car / direct factory sale, used for the launch etc. Hardly likely to be representative, as you say.

I imagine the decent liveries with some underlying history for the livery might carry some value, but others, for example, the 288 GTO livery in white? Seriously?

3. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Successful people don't usually over pay unless it's a vanity/competitive purchase like a 250. Very odd. Wonder if it was a true sale, reception on 70th cars has been muted ........

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    That was the question on many peoples mind at dinner that evening, but at least a few people there vouched for knowing the buyer (who was there as well) as legit. Who knows if it shows up somewhere else soon?

Still the price makes no sense in my mind - these are standard cars with lipstick and an already high price tag.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    More money than sense I guess. It's a ****ing 488 with a paint job.

6. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    What better place and a great way to score instant points with the factory and move up the ranks and become part of 'their' family. We should allow for the prospect that the motive behind the purchase was more than just plain stupidity and ego stroking. Not to forget the under-bidder....it takes more than one interested party to drive the price up.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh to think the guy who bought that was amateur is amateur. the guy who bought that knew exactly what he was doing.

8. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    The bidder had instructions to buy at any price from the customer is the rumor

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk