Testarossa CIS issues...cont'd | FerrariChat

Testarossa CIS issues...cont'd

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jagbuff, Nov 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    88 Testarossa is hesitating as it reaches the 3000 rpm range especially after it has passed the warm up phase. I have been getting an education from Larry Fletcher on the CIS system , and have done quite a bit of troubleshooting but still not been able to pinpoint the problem. I therefore offer up this challenge to the best and brightest of Fchat ;) seeking suggestions!

- I have measured the differential pressure between the upper and lower chamber of the CIS and have 0.25 bar differential at a baseline of 5.2 bar (thx Larry for the fitting). The differential is a tad low but viable (car does run).
    - I am not getting any changes in the differential pressure when I connect/disconnect the EHA
    - The EHA current draw is 1.2 milliamp but that may be just a phantom reading as the voltage input is 0 volts, also even if I change the mixture the EHA current draw does not change (ie the ECU is not compensating or so out of whack that it can't)
    - I checked the other EHA and also had 0 volts...

SOooooo, I am starting to wonder if there is a problem with the "E" part of the K-jet. I have checked (based on Steve M posted picture) the voltage at the water sensor (red wire) and again have 0 volts.

Question - what should I be checking next? Is there a relay or other electrical connection that may be tripping?
    TIA
    Franck

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you are measuring 0 volts on the red wire with the engine running, that is definitely a bad sign, and the next place to check is the protection relay in the triangular black box over the rear RH wheel well (the protection relay is the thing that supplies the +12V to run the "E" part of KE-Jet). If you made the measurement at the red wire without the engine running, make sure you had the key "on" (in addition to having the jumper in place). I had made an error with a jpeg saying "key off" -- here is the corrected jpeg for doing the red wire test with the engine not running.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This thread (post #14) has the information for testing what is, or isn't, happening at the terminals of the protection relay if you do have no +12V on the red wire (and, of course, first check if the 10A fuse is OK or blown):
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179893
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Steve:

Thank you for posting the information. I did test it with the engine running but just realized since posting the above that I forgot the reconnect the multimeter lead to volts instead of Amps... DUH!! No wonder I got 0 volts. So I will go back to tonight and measure the EHA voltage and red wire and post my findings...
    Sorry for the confusion!
    Franck

4. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Steve:

I checked the voltage at the red wire in the side sensor and I have 12 volts. Question - is the circuit supposed to be opened when engine hot for this thermal switch (BTW what is it called - can't locate it on the parts manual or the workshop manual? I measured across the terminals and it shows open. Also, Thermal time switch - i.e. the one on top with a brown base and molex connector is reading out of whack, open circuit across the terminals, open circuit for G terminal to ground and 60 ohm for W terminal to ground when car is hot. Could this be a problem?

BTW, There is voltage to the EHA - 8.2 volts to both and they do appear to be working as temporary external voltage will drop pressure differential

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Yes, that is the correct logic for the US TR "water thermoswitch" -- cold = closed and warm = open

I don't think so, but the schematic shows, when warm, the TTS should be:

W -to- G = open
    G (which connects to the BL, white/blue, wire) -to- ground = a finite resistance (so 60 ohms seems reasonable)
    W (which connects to the RV, red/green, wire) -to- ground = open

although could be that they made a mistake and swapped G with W (or you did ;))

Can you explain how you are measuring this? According to the Diagnosis sheet, when warm (i.e., the NTC sensor has a low resistance), the voltage across each EHA coil should be something like ~200 mV, not ~8V (the resistance of the EHA coil is ~20 ohms so when the voltage across the coil is 200mV this gives a EHA coil current of ~10 mA -- which is in the right ballpark). Or are you measuring from one side of each EHA coil to ground?

6. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    OK, you busted me - I was going from memory (too much exhaust fumes!).

So, I assume the "E" part of the system is functional... I am still confused by the current reading I am getting to the EHA which is almost nil and 8.2 volts and in effect makes no difference between it being connected or not. Also I assumed that changing mixture screw would create a rich or lean condition which would cause the ECU to change the EHA values to correct mixture - in my case nothing happens, am I misunderstanding the operation of the system? Larry as told me that the ECU values are supposed to be 10 milliAmp EHA at idle - I am no way near that and can't seem to make the ECU affect that? Any other suggestions on items to troubleshoot/test the system.
    TIA
    Franck

7. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I am measuring the voltage across the connectors (Yellow wire to ground) going to EHA without it connected. I have not measured with it connected.

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    I just checked the values, across the EHA the resistance is 20.0 ohm, however; the voltage across the connector plugged in is 24 millivolts... so I am off by a factor of 10 :(

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    Franck -- First, let me warn you that if you short the two wires going to the EHA coil together, or you short one of them to ground, it is very possible that you will blow up the corresponding injection ECU (I blew one of mine up myself -- and even though the fuse on the protection relay blew, it wasn't fast enough to prevent damage to the injection ECU -- and it cost me $1K to get a used one).

Yes, you should really be measuring the voltage across the EHA coil when plugged in (and not to ground) -- i.e., the volt meter is in parallel to the EHA coil winding. Also, you do realize that to measure the current, the ammeter needs to be in series (not parallel) with the coil? This takes using some male and female (4mm diameter IIRC) bullet connectors to build the necessary jumper wiring to get the ammeter in series with the EHA coil -- are you doing this? Would you like me to prepare a figure describing the set-up I used to measure the EHA coil current?

10. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Steve, I will heed your warning. Yes I did create a rig to test the EHA current draw running the ammeter in series. I will check again tonight but the current draw was 1.2 milliamp and voltage (measured with EHA connected) was 24 millivolt.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK -- during your next EHA current measurements also try unplugging the O2 sensors. In that condition (with the engine at warm idle), I believe the EHA currents should default to something like ~7 mA.

12. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    #12 Jagbuff, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    I will try that. Steve, do you know of good reference guide to understand the workings of the K-Jet E?

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The best written reference that I've come across for describing KE-Jet with Lambda operation is the TR WSM 330/84 Section D, but you need to make sure you get the whole Section D (some TR WSM don't include the KE-Jet with Lambda stuff) -- pages up to D67 cover TR K-Jet operation (so reading that, and knowing how K-Jet works, is the prerequisite, and covers a lot of the stuff that is common to both K-Jet and KE-Jet -- fuel pumps, injectors, etc.) and then pages D68 to D106 covers the TR KE-Jet with Lambda operation.

Ferrari also produced a separate booklet (part No. 95990856) to cover the later euro TR KE-Jet without Lambda system, but it's just a subset (and sans Lambda) of what's in the TR WSM pages D68 to D106.

The last piece of technical documentation is Diagnosis Sheet No. 6 which gives some testing information (but really requires the Bosch 25-pin connector break-out box to use directly) -- send me a PM with your email address, and I'll email it to you.

14. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Steve:
    I have gone through part of the diagnostic chart and hit a sticking point... indeed step #7 and 8 are both coming up as null values on both ECUs. Indeed I am not getting any voltage read across the suggested pins 2 to 25 and 1 to 2 when ignition is on. So I checked the junction box that contains the ECU protection relay, the fuse is intact but the relay does not appear to be energized when the ignition is on, there is current coming to only one of the terminals of the relay, but I don't hear it clicking on. Is the ECU energized immediately once the ignition is on or once the temperature and the car is in closed loop? Is there another fuse inline to that relay?

BTW, the car starts fine w/o the ECU hooked up...I guess the car runs even without the "E" part...

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #15 Steve Magnusson, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
    Welcome to the typical confusion in some of the F documentation ;)

The protection relay does not close with only the key "on" -- the other requirement is that the tachometric relay also be closed, which occurs when the engine is actually running (i.e., the 7-12 coil primary current is switching), or the starter motor is cranking (or you add the jumper wire as described in the jpeg to fool the tachometric relay into thinking the starter motor is cranking). The measurements for both steps 7 and 8 must be made when the starter motor is actually cranking over (or the engine is running, if it will with the injection ECUs unplugged) which closes the tachomteric relay, and subsequently, closes the protection relay. Since you have already measured +12V at the red wire with the engine running, you have already quasi-passed step 8, but doesn't hurt to use pin 2 as the ground to make sure the ground signal is reaching the ECU too. In fact, with the engine running, it is a good idea to measure the voltage on pin 2 relative to the engine cylinder head -- ideally this should be 0V DC, and if it is more than ~0.1V DC this would be bad for the Lambda control portion of the ECUs because they use the voltage on pin 2 as the "ground" reference to compare the signal coming from the O2 sensor. For example, if the voltage on pin 2 has "floated" up to ~0.4 VDC because of a bad crimp in the wiring harness, the Lambda circuit will add extra fuel to get more voltage out of the O2 sensor -- i.e., the Lambda circuit would (wrongly) be trying to get 0.9V average (rich) out of the O2 sensor in its quest to keep the average voltage difference between the O2 sensor and pin 2 to 0.5 V DC. (In fact, my own TR had this flaw so I added extra ground wires in the injection ECU connectors directly from the pin 2 wires to a good ground.)

Step 7 is confirming that the tach signal from the ignition ECU is reaching the injection ECUs -- if your tach is working, this is a good sign that this signal is present, and the only way it would be reaching the tach, but not reaching the injection ECUs is if there is a wiring problem.

Your TR being able to start and run quasi-OK is an indication that the manual mixture tweaks are set towards the rich side. During normal warm idle, the EHA is only causing a fairly small amount of extra fuel to be added so tweaking the manual mixture screws a bit rich can easily compensate. It's very much like the 308QV K-Jet with Lambda where, if the protection relay is dead, as long as the mixture tweak is reset at warm idle, it doesn't run too bad. One difference though is that the KE-Jet also uses the EHA (which would be dead) to provide enrichment during throttle blips; whereas, the 308QV uses the WUR, so 308QV K-Jet with Lambda get along with a dead protection relay better (if they have been retweaked when the protection relay is dead).

Good Hunting!

16. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    Thanks for the great information and detail Steve. I will continue testing, BTW, I tested the lambda sensor resistance - pin 7 and 8 (I think) and both circuit were opened... The molex connectors to the Lambda were stuck together with what looks like epoxy, definitely need to fix that...

17. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James

steve, where is pin 2 in this description? I don't have the dignostic sheets.

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #18 Steve Magnusson, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    "pin 2" is pin 2 of the 25-pin injection ECU connectors (either one). However, without the "factory signal breakout box", it isn't easy to access pin 2 with everything plugged in. IIRC, this ground signal also goes into the black triangular box to one of the relays so it can be more easily measured there (but I'm away from my TR documentation at the moment). Tonight, I'll post a Dropbox link to Diagnosis. Sh. No. 6. Do you have a copy of the 509/88 US TR wiring diagram book?

IIRC, Jagbuff eventually traced the source of the problem that he was chasing here to a bad crimp at the connector pins for one of the barometric capsules (no signal from the barometric capsule = looks like super-high altitude to the injection ECU = the injection ECU drops the EHA current to zero trying to lean things out for such a high altitude condition).

19. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    ok Thanks! I'm tracking. I don't have current on either EHA. So I was wondering what's going on. Was thinking a ground could be bad.

20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    so I checked my barometric capsules. V is 7.5 for both and looks like V1 is 5.5 for both. The third wire I got 0V for both. Looking at the chart a V1/V is around .73 which corresponds to an elevation of 7500 feet. I am in detroit. Could both these capsules be busted? or did I do something wrong?

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I didn't mean to imply that you should necessarily suspect your barometric capsules. Rather just that darn near any small thing can go wrong, and it can take a lot of effort to find it. This link should get you the (corrected) 4-page Diagnosis Sheet No. 6:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm81j3cq3048qe1/TR%20Diagnosis%20Sheet%20N%206%20US%20KE-Jet%20Injection.pdf?dl=0

which is really a series of tests (starting with a cold engine) where, if something is out-of-bounds, it needs to be fixed for sure, and, if all is OK, the system should be working (but even that doesn't guarantee that there can't be some other hard-to-detect Gremlin still mucking things up -- especially inside the ECUs).

With regard to the V1/V issue -- you'll have to compare the pins used for the V1/V test to what you did - for example, if V1 is measured in a way that would give the difference of the two voltage measurements that you report (i.e., V1 = 7.5V-5.5V = 2V) you'd get a much more reasonable result for Detroit (and my guess is that, since the two are the same, the trouble is in the measurement and not the barometric capsules themselves - but please let us know).

22. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    OP states a stumble at 3k as you accelerate-correct?
    You are pulling values from the stem both hot, AND cold(closed loop and open loop), correct?

You are testing this KE car as if it were a Mercedes M117! Engines car!

Late TRa have a fairly common problem which can be eliminated with you answering a couple of questions-this assumes that most of your static data info ias sll within factory(Bosch) specifications?...

If yo disconnect the O2 sensors from the harnesses-both of them-and monitor the HC/CO numbers: what happens to your numbers once the cat hits 450degreesC?
    Also, when HOT, you set L and R fuel towers to-if memery serves me correctly, 1.25-1.50%
    THEN you plug them in-when car shifts to closed loop what happens to both O2 values AND port readings for HC/CO
    Do the skyrocket?
    If so, ck for bad ground in the lambda wiring loom-the drivability problems you describe will present if the ground is poor or bad
    This is found on the rt side, inner set of runner studs on the 2nd or 3rd stud....there is a "loop" wiring end as well as 1-2 others on this stud. There will be "white" crusty detritus in this hint...
    Stemless wire wheel it all clean, put a copper electrical coating paste on threads and washers and retorque...if ground fixes this, your sky high readings at port and O2 harnesses will drop like a stone....

This is more common that you might think-say this at the dealer many times...
    It's well worth checking this ground circuit as it's a known issue in LATE TRs....

23. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I would say that most common problems with the CIS are from letting the car sit unused. The fuel gets old and gums up the injectors, and the metering slits in the FD.

I would start by draining the tank, and filling it with fresh fuel. Then pull the injectors, and soak them in carb cleaner overnight. Make sure the poppet valves are working, and that the filter screens are not clogged. Also clean the spark plugs, as an improper fuel mixture will foul the plugs. I use the propane torch method for cleaning spark plugs.

Run the car at least once a week.