This is the new California: The California T. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This is the new California: The California T.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. electrikoptik

electrikoptik Rookie

Jul 8, 2006
    Impressive. Funny that a california now has more torque than F12 and even the mighty la ferrari.

2. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Wow, what an improvement! I really like the design, the back looks great compared to the weird thing on the current one. Unfortunately I don't like turbo engines. Seems to be the same like in the new QP Maser.

3. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    Winner!

Rb

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #29 4th_gear, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On first glance, the California T shows some attractive changes/additions as well as some feature/performance improvements. However, I think some of the changes are of mixed value. I would have to see and test the car in person to form a reliable opinion.

At the moment, I see this car satisfying buyers who like to shop numbers and also keeps the competitors at bay in that regard but it would seem the changes are not that dramatic that it would prompt current owners to swap their rides for the new one. The two cars look pretty contemporary to each other.

Rather, I think the new car would generate continued and broader interest from new buyers. Given that Ferrari intends to restrain production, they would prefer to go after new Ferrari owners in the immediate term. So I think they made a good move with the new car.

FWIW, I prefer the current car's standard 20" diamond-cut wheels, they look much more stunning and distinctive whereas the ones in these photos resemble contemporary designs used on other cars.

I also prefer the stacked double-exhausts of the current car.

If you have dual exhaust paths, you really only need 2 pipes, like the Scud/16M setup. Or, if the paths are centred together, you can use 1 big one. More than 2 pipes is really just to generate excitement in the observer - like the double tail lights on the F430 and Enzo. This is where the stacked pipes of the current California look much better.

Observers on the street see cars as they pass by. So stacked pipes would immediately be noticed even if you see the car only in profile. Side-by-side pipes completely lose that advantage - they look completely blasé from the side. Side-by-side double pipes are also common, even the Jaguar F-Type has them. It doesn't do a Ferrari any good to look like a Jag. OTOH, stacked pipes are unique to the current California.

Observers behind the car would notice multiple tail pipes regardless of orientation. However, when I look at the rear photo of the blue car I see too many little "things" hanging below the tail, like Christmas lights - too busy. This is what I mean:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    in-house design did a pretty job on this one!

But for whatever reason, I akin this more to a facelift vs a brand new design? Like how Audi decided to introduce the V10 engine & MMI interface for the R8.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Big improvement on the hideously bloated first Cali. Not bad indeed.

7. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I like it. But then I liked the "old" one, too.

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, it is and it's done for a number of reasons, one of which is to preserve the value of the older car… the resale market; which was a stated intention by LdM.

Car designs are complex, designers have many options but they must focus on the strategic intent of the new car. IMO, you can always dial in the correct amount of excitement but then you can also take back a few, so that they are not overused or so that the older car retains a unique quality.

Ferrari seems to have done an excellent job

9. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    This is much less of a change then I had anticipated. It looks like a facelift, not a new model. I like the changes but when I first saw the photos I thought I was reading about the California 30. At least they got rid of the stacked tailpipes.

I'm not happy about the turbo either. I'd rather have less power.

10. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Curious. What don't you like about the stacked pipes?

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Looks great. I'm glad they fixed the stupid exhaust. Also, that rear diffuser fixes the bloated rear lines of the predecessor.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Easy to say if you're not actually shopping for one. IMO, the stacked pipes look great and for actual design reasons.

13. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Same V8 motor that it used in the Maserati Quattroporte.

14. JasonSpidey

JasonSpidey Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    I Honestly, I was expecting a bigger change. It took me a couple glances to even notice any difference from the A-pillar back between the Cali T and the old Cali.

That said, I do think the front end looks a lot more aggressive, which is a nice change. And I think that new turbocharged engine will make all the difference with the Cali's target buyers. A 50 percent increase in torque is the kind of change anyone will notice—even those California buyers who bought a Ferrari for style, not driving please. Hell, it'll be noticed especially among them.

15. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  16. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    This is clearly a facelift and freshening of the current California. The biggest improvements seem to be making the rear look not so big as the current car. The stacked exhausts and the body color reaching so low at the back seems to add to the illusion of heft. The Cali T has managed to eliminate these cues and the effect is positive.

Now if that new turbo engine can get it hustling along significantly faster than the old Cali then we will all be happy won't we?

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Looked at it a bit more and decided the following: Doesn't look very nice in the red on pictures.

The TDF though, stunning. Would prefer an F12, of course...but this one is very pretty indeed.

TDF with Beige, grigio titanio and bordeaux, black and red leather, Bianco with nero alcantara...will all look stunning on this.

I want...

:eek:

18. dougny

dougny Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    NY / LA
    It looks like a facelift to most other manufacturers. An improved look, yes, but not a new car. Improved all around. I particularly like the new face and hood. I am really disappointed by the interior and lack of evolution.

19. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    looks great! hopefully it will sound great,wonder if use sound tricks too,like sound tubes in the FF

20. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Is there more backseat room? That's the only thing that kept me from buying the prior one as I want to toss the kiddies in the back and it was tight tight tight and my kids are young!

21. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    So, is it worth trading in the 458 for the new California? (I know, different characters, but I'm getting older and maybe a GT torque monster may not be so bad).

22. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I couldn't imagine trading my 458 for a Gal-ifornia! But to each his own!

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Agree. I was expecting the front to look more like the F12 but they did the sides instead.

No Pininfarina on the car that I can see. In house design? Note the black roofs. Guessing this may be standard??

If I were in the market for a GT car to take on trips with enough luggage this would be great provided:
    the front engined layout does not make the car understeer (4 wheel steering and e-diff?)
    turbo lag
    engine and exhaust sound.

That torque is just amazing. Interior with 3 screens looks functional and eye appealing.

Looks like Ferrari has another winner. they should sell a ton of these.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...when it came out some years ago. Its front section looked terrible IMO.
    Now they made it right!

25. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Still ugly as hell