[Top Gear] Jeremy Clarkson's criticism of Lamborghini Countach | FerrariChat

[Top Gear] Jeremy Clarkson's criticism of Lamborghini Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Ermanno Claypool, Aug 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ermanno Claypool

Ermanno Claypool Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2006
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Ermanno
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQKwmDyMpU

Yeah,the clutch is very hard to depress.
    The gearbox is hard too.
    The windows doesn't open totally.
    Yeah,reversing the bull is complicated.

So what?
    What a clown,Jeremy Clarkson.

PS: Look at the end of the movie,Clarkson crashes a volvo 340 into a tree.
    It's a shame that he didn't go faster.

2. vur

vur Karting

May 9, 2006
    Full Name:
    Vur

Clarkson a clown? nooooooo :)

3. AIR4C 1

AIR4C 1 Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Those that criticize the Countach are not clear on the concept of Super Car.
    The Miura created the genre and the Countach set the bench mark to this day. Nothing shocks like a Countach. Those that expect a car to be so outrageous looking and still drive like some English sissy vehicle are rediculous.
    The car is what it is, and that is the most outrageous car ever made.

These journalists completely miss the point of the car. Besides, his head is big. No, not his ego, he really does have a big head.

4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

You hit the nail on the head.

I would think their is a market for this type of vehicle. I like the raw nature and effort it requires to drive. Don't judge the car based on everyday useability of the Countach. Don't compare the car to a Corolla. However at fun speeds, it begins to all make sense.

5. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, Clarkson is ABSOLUTLY right!!!But - it was a "Bad-Boys"-car and not one to pick up Granny for the next bingo-tournament!
    Also, tell me one car of that league that had an easy clutch!
    Exactly all that points Clakson critizised made -and still makes- the car a legend!

Bon Voyage in the Volvo.......

Ciao!
    Walter

6. johneli1

johneli1 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2006
    Hampshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    On a recent edition of Top Gear he drives the Gallardo Spyder and confesses that it is his new favourite Supercar - so he's not as daft as you think!

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yes, I know! But comparing an LP 400 from the 70ies with nowadays behaviors of handling and driving, means that you also have to compare a Messerschmitt Me 109 with a Stealth-bomber, eh?

But great planes are both! Tzzz.......!

Ciao!
    Walter

8. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    FW 190 was better, and the Countach is better than the B2. LOL

9. Samson518

Samson518 Karting

Apr 23, 2004
    "Yeah, the clutch is very hard to depress. The gearbox is hard too. The windows doesn't open totally. Yeah, reversing the bull is complicated."

Kill yourself.

10. FredParoutaud

FredParoutaud Formula 3

Jun 9, 2004
    Totally, well put.

And what is key to this is that it was not only the bench mark, but it was the last great "anaolg" supercar. A machine may work better controlled by computers, but to me it's much more exciting to have all that going on with springs and weights and such.

Driving an lp400 is like driving an Italian CanAm car. :)

Fred

11. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I wonder sometimes with Clarkson's view.

12. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Red the new CAR magazine Supercar Edition.

Wow,

it says the greatest 3 supercars of all time is the Miura, Countach and Mclaren f1.

Stating there will never be another supercar like the countach. Every supercar after it copied its perfect design.

Great Article. It even talks about who coined the term "supercar." It was actually a writer for car in the 1960s when referring to the Miura.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I would add the Ferrari F40 (a car for men!) and the Mercedes SL Gullwing!

Ciao!
    Walter

14. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Absolutely!!!

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

You have good tastes !

16. kovachian

kovachian Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    central Indiana
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Clarkson once said the F40 was the greatest supercar of all time, back before the Gallardo won him over. He changes his mind like Paris Hilton changes her bedsheets.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Clarkson is awesome. He is funny and opinionated - something that is seriously lacking in auto reviews, where most of it is regurgitation of the PR release on a car. Sure, sometimes he's extreme but I'd rather see that than bland praise for everything. What is appreciated is that he accepts flaws - he'll pick apart a car and be honest about it, like the Ford GT, and then still go and buy it despite its flaws.

Not only that, he has succeeded - you clicked and watched a bit of his show... his controversial opinions bring more viewers and readers, and then more money for his producer/publishers!

18. 85GTO

85GTO Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    somebody scan that in!

19. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I beg to disagree. I "lived" with my new 88 Countach for three years. Out of all exotics owned, it was by far the wrost car I have owned. Sold it with three or four flat bed receipts in the file and a couple of electrical fires. Car was put together very poorly, cutch went, climate control never worked, I still have a scar on my left foremarm from the door falling on it. Took it to the track once, it made even the BB feel like a race car. POS IMO, and I AM a Lambo fan, on my second Gallardo. There is no logic in liking this car. Outrageous, yes but a poorly assembled vehicle that did not handle well but made the right sounds and stopped kids in their tracks (at the time). That is NOT what makes an exotic great. In the mid 70's it was OK compared to the competition but it was a dinosaur in the late 80's when it was still being built.

20. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Ralfabco.....

The day I hear you comparing a Countach to a Corolla..........oh wait............don't you own one of each .............LOL !!!

21. AIR4C 1

AIR4C 1 Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta

That is an unfortunate experience with the car. I am sure there were a few examples that left the factory that they wish they could get back. Neither my Countach or my Jalpa are one of those, as those "vintage" have all the character, and so far, tremendous reliability that has made me seriously biased.

I suppose that any high end, specialty car maker has a few stories of problems with their cars. I know of several B Boxer owners that have had handling "surprises" with their car, engine fires and terrible heat issues or even the rear hatch opening at speed over bumps etc..
    That car, too me still qualifies as a supercar because of what it did for the direction of Ferrari after it. It broke ground as a flat 12 with terrific styling and performance.

I know of Jaguar E-Types ( a couple owned by my family over the years) that had terrible electrical issues, carb issues, handling unpredictability...) and still that car was an unreal car.
    I know of a Maserati Ghibli SS that had the headlight switch go through the dash and cause a fire in it. World Class car in my opinion.
    Too own these cars takes a particular understanding, which, I think Jeremy Clarkson does not possess.

The Countach may require a little more "ünderstanding" than some cars, but it was good enough to sustain Lamborghini, and set the stage by which all other exotic car makers had to dance.
    If Ferrari was Frank Sinatra, Lamborghini was Elvis Presley.

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Da

Keith

I sit on the doorsill when I back up the Corolla Dx. I love my Corolla Dx. "Oh what a feeling."

23. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Everyone can have a bad experience with an exotic car or two. The clutch can be protected. The Countach is a vehicle that will require you to work with it. As far as the BB, it is also a nice easier to use car. Unfortunately the BB has too much weight up hi with the disadvantageous engine configuration. The BB is more of a touring GT in relation to the Countach. Neither car is a track car. They are both fun GT autos, with the BB being designed with more practicality in mind. Do not buy either car, if you want an effective A/C and are looking for something easy to drive.

24. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Can`t agree! I had an LP 400 in totally original and perfect condition. I did a mechanical restoration, sorted the suspension - and drove trouble free 30,000 km`s in almost 3 years! I had a BBi 512 from 1983-89! A wonderfull engine! Compared to the BB the LP 400 was much more fun to drive (OK, the long-shifting gearbox was nice but the BB`s was a bit better!) and handled sometimes like a truck.

Ciao!
    Walter

25. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I only mentioned the BB because I happened to have had one at the same time and even though it could really bite you at the track, at least it went where you wanted to go (most of the time) unlike the CT whose fat wheels took you where they wanted to go. In hind sight, I think the CT should have stayed on my son's bedroom wall as a poster rather than in my garage.