what percentage of us use a clear bra | Page 2 | FerrariChat

what percentage of us use a clear bra

Discussion in '360/430' started by shubchs, Sep 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Suntek. Slightly less thick than Xpel (meaning slightly less protection), but significantly less orange peel. Very clear and high gloss. Can barely tell there's a clear bra, especially with a custom fit.

Installer? Check local yelp reviews. Pre-cuts are easier to install, but they tend to stop right before the edge. If you want a custom fit (more wrap around, less seams) you'll have to check their previous work.

I do recommend some level of a medium/light glass coat, such as Opticoat, applied before having the clear bra applied. This makes it easier to remove if it need be. Less chance of paint peeling. Ferrari paint is thin in some areas.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    +1.

360s and 430s are challenging if you want a one piece install because our fenders is really one big piece extending from the bottom of the left fender to the bottom of the right fender. It can be done in two pieces if you don't mind a seam down the middle.

I paid about $1100 for a custom 1 piece fender to fender and 1 piece for the hood. Suntek.

3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    My car came with original clear bra, yellow and wrinkled. Had it removed and replaced with suntek full front end plus rockers. Had paint correction done and 4 layers ceramic coating on top to bring gloss back. I do a lot of canyons so clear bra is a must, u get as many as 4 chips a day. To folks that just drive around town u prob don't need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    There's a way to avoid a seam down the center. They use a large piece in the middle and then place two small seams on each fender along the body line crease underneath the shields. This way the seams are all hidden. But if you can do it all one piece, even better

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    complete front and mirrors

6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Then you should do it, regardless of what others do...I personally can't be bothered with it, considering my car has 5x the mileage of yours, has already been repainted, and red doesn't show paint flaws the way your black will. If the time comes, I'll just respray or use it as an excuse to get a CS bumper ;)

7. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    I do. Front bumper/hood

8. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    Full front and mirrors on my 430. The stuff is self healing, which is cool.

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's a full thread on PPF in the detailing/showroom subform. One of the detailers over there says that current applicators use a full sheet with no seams. The pattern and plotter works with 60" pieces of film.

My 430 has expel and there are no seams.

10. innerstrength1@

innerstrength1@ Karting

Jan 29, 2017
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Dan B
    What about clear bra versus thick application of ceramic coating?

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Front nose and part of hood, side rockers

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ceramic coating is like a permanent wax, sort of. it will not protect from rock chips like a PPF. Its there to protect the luster of the paint

13. Speedspeed

Speedspeed Karting

Jul 15, 2017
    Fl Keys
    Full Name:
    charles
    yes from windshield forward on Black f430... I cant even tell its on there !!!!!

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have it on my Fcar front but came with the car. The new product is much better than the stuff on the Fcar and my 997TT. I just got it on my wife's new Cayanne GTS, full front and it looks much better than older product. Also the new product repairs itself from blemishes by just putting in the sun or with a hair dryer.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ^ i think the products are still only good for four or five years before yellowing so you may have to replace

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes, previous owner had it installed. If he didn't, I would have.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think they bloody awful. I'd rather just have the front repainted every couple of years.

18. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have it on my scud. I take the car up in the mountains with friends so there is lots of opportunities for rock chips. Also, respray isn't really an option as the car has OEM stripes.

19. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've never used it on my cars and, despite vacillating a bit on covering my 430's newly painted bumper, I've decided against it. Even the best stuff never looks quite right and I prefer the look of properly detailed paint to plastic.

For the usual minor chips, I'll use Dr. ColorChip (great product!) - when it gets to be too much, I'll just repaint. No big deal.

20. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I have a partial on mine - I bought it that way. I am personally not a fan. It dulls the paint and no matter how great the application is, it is never perfect. I have yet to see an application that looks "as good" as a good paint correction.

21. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    Theres a wide range of films with varying quality. Also its quite possible that the paint under your film was never corrected. If you have dull paint under the film, its always going to look dull. I had a full paint correction done on my scud and then suntek installed over the entire front end. Whole car also has a ceramic coating so every panel, including the covered areas, look glossy and deep. People are shocked when they learn there's film on the car.

22. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    #47 fc2, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    I have full front-end, mirrors, rocker panels etc on my 16M and my wife's S4. I didn't put a clear-bra on my Huracan because I leased it.

It's interesting reading the comments thus far. There are a couple of super important variables you need to take account of:

- Film Quality: This stuff is getting better and better by the year. Find a shop that invests in the latest and best quality films.
    - Installer Quality: You need to find a place that custom cuts the film for your car. Pre-cut kits are horrid. I had the dealer use one of these kits on my 430 years ago and I'll never forgive myself for doing so. The gaps and seams were so bad. Had I not sold the car for my 16M, I was going to have it removed and replaced by Premier with a custom kit.

If you find a place that custom cuts the best and newest technology films... it's way better than getting bumpers and hoods repaired from road-rash and rock chips.

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    +1

It is important to note a full paint correction should be done before a ceramic coat or a clearbra is applied as it seals what is underneath. If you have a scratch underneath it will be there as long as the ceramic or bra is on. Good clear bras also self-heal with heat. So if there is a light scratch on the bra, it will eventually go away if in the sun long enough.

24. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    No. I don't like the look of it. I'll respray as needed.

25. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Full front end, and mirrors.