308 spare tire | FerrariChat

308 spare tire

Discussion in '308/328' started by rob, Jul 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I did a search and couldn't find an answer to my question which is how much would a replacement 308 spare tire be and how hard are they to find? Also how about the toolkit I'm interested in a car that is missing both (83 308qv) and want to figure out the value to help me with what I want to pay for the car.

2. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    #2 gil308, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    You could purchase a repro wheel...mine is a full size spare. Complete original tool kits are harder to find, but I've seen them on eBay. I'm sure you could get a reproduction one...are you looking for originality or functionality?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ferrari+308+tool+kit&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ferrari+308+wheel&_sacat=0&_odkw=ferrari+308+spare+tire&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Ricambi America or T.Rutlands are also excellent sources for Ferrari items.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Figure $1K for the space saver wheel/tire and BOTH tool rolls could be well north of $1K, maybe 2K, but the seller won't agree to those numbers.

Tell HIM to go find them!

Good luck.......

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I just want to know as having these items missing takes away from the value of the car although I would want to have a spare tire with me. Have to think of these things in case I ever resell the car it definately affects the value.
    Big Tex there are two tool rolls?

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, a small roll that opens up to reveal the screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers.

The a jack roll much larger that holds a yellow scissor jack, the operating handle, a lug wrench, safety triangle on some cars, a plug in trouble light, a set of ALL fan belts, and a round box of spare fuses and bulbs, with distributor rotor.

Unless you find a benevolnet owner liquidating a recent total loss, these items will really rack up the $$$ bought individually on FleaBay....

$3K would be my budget.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree and I have never understood how people can lose these that effect the real world usability of the vehicle.

Texas is a big place and it sucks to push it!!

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    LOL! Definately need to be prepared in Texas I'm not exactly in a thriving metropolis here in VT so I want to be prepared.
    I never understand why people don't take better care of things and keep track of things I have all the stuff that came with my S2000 when I bought it new and the stuff I don't use I have carefully packed away like the orig. window sticker and I even have the extra key with the original sleeve still on it.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My '83 US is a full sized spare on a 7"x16" rim. 8"x16" wont easily fit in the wheel well. So guess what happens if you try & change a rear flat. Go ahead, ask me :)

9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Hey Clyde I was wondering what happens if you try to change a flat on your 308??????????????????

10. pdf308

pdf308 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Euro cars had a dino wheel with a space saver tire. USA cars had full size tire and spare. I will be happy to sell you a TRX wheel with tire that came off my 1984 Euro QV.

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    That would be great I'll keep it in mind if I buy this car.

12. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi Rob,

I have a tool kit and a Campagnolo 14" magnesium spare wheel. I will offer these for a reasonable price.

Thanks and good luck with your purchase.

Jim

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thanks!

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #14 BigTex, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    You have to chose, between taking your date, or the flat back into town.

Something has to stay on the shoulder of the road.

BUT it DOES reinforce the 'never may care" reputation all of us have, when motorists see you nonchalantly tossing the flat off out into the weeds.

"Damn, those Ferrari drivers, when they have a flat they throw it away, wheel tire and all!!!" :D :D :D

You have to watch for kids though, they will pick it up as a sounvenier before you can finfish your date and get back to it!!

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You have a 14" Campy? Cough it up!!!!

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I dont care so much about the tire. It's the RIMS!

Actually, if you really fight with it, the 8x16 will go into the well. But then you fight with it again to get it back out.

That day my date would not have taken kindly to being left behind 5ish miles outside of town on a Sunday. And there were no gas stations or shops open to help out.

17. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Dumb question: Whats wrong with not putting the spare tire back in the tub? Wouldn't it save weight? Obviously I'd keep it safely stored for resale. But if I ever had a flat I would just get it towed instead of changing the tire.

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First of all there’s nothing wrong about not putting the spare tire in the tub, but since you’re not going to use it and you want to store it safely for resale, why not just store it in the car tub, you’re not really saving that much weight plus it’s a perfect place for it.

19. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    I am in western MA where are you in VT?

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have the Volvo temp spare wheel and tire that fits a QV if anyone is interested. Never used.

Nice to have if you want to get the full size original out of there to keep in a safe place and to free up some room in there while still having a spare in case of emergency.

Anyone interested? I can't use it because it won't fit over my Brembo front brake kit.

21. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    This is a very good point. Be certain to check fitment first if you are considering deviating from OEM.

To add a future reference data point, I can confirm that the Euro OEM space saver spare wheel -does- fit properly over my front Big Brake kit, which I suspect to likely be generically similar in rotor size to most other such brake kits.

Picture below (not mine):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have that spare. We had to do a tiny bit of grinding on the inner edge to get it to clear one of the Brembo rotor screws but that wasn't a problem. It's good now front and rear on my 84

Here is the thread referencing the Volvo spare.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/using-a-volvo-space-saver-spare-on-a-3x8.483112/#post-143843509

23. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Dealers often take the tools

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, the bolt pattern are the same but the center hole are different but just for spare and using it at low speed is ok.

25. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm at Stratton mountain which is about 40 miles north of Brattleboro. Do you ever attend the cars n coffee at Kringle candle in Bernadston Mass?