Old photos of UK Ferrari | Page 34 | FerrariChat

Old photos of UK Ferrari

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wheels1, Dec 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great video. Thank you for posting.

2. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Probably the largest and most diverse selection of Ferraris I have seen in almost 50 years of attending events here and overseas. While some were brought to the UK for the event, the majority of the display cars were at that time living in this country. And all those special cars in the general parking area which were owned by FOC members and quite regularly seen at events. Where are they now?

A brief glimpse of the Azzuro 330 GTC made me smile -I still enjoy it 25 years later!

Thank you for a trip down memory lane.

Robert W and Snapper7 like this.
  3. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #828 johngtc, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Is this #4399? A '63 GTO rebodied to '64 GTO while in Maranello's ownership and subsequently sold to Anthony Bamford. (See also the recent thread in the Vintage section about a Goodwood crash)

The picture was taken outside Maranello Concessionaires' grandly named London Service Centre in Wellesley Road, Chiswick (it was actually largely built of corrugated iron and held no more than 4 cars - the rest being parked on the pavement or in the street!)

miurasv and Daytonafan like this.
  4. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I think you're right, John. The hood scoop it raced with appeared to be taller and narrower - but I've just spotted a photo in Michael Fisher's Instagram page showing 4399 'in retirement' around the same time, and the hood there is identical to this photo.

That said, why is it wearing '4 HLY'?

-Ed

5. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It looks like a 1973 car to me Ed, with no side lights on the front bumper so not 14353 if I'm right, also 14353 has had from the early years a Ferrari sicker on the windscreen about where the mirror goes and a rear electric aerial on near side wing.

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #832 Wheels1, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    There are not many features to give the game away but there is no drivers door mirror and no nudge bar, could it be 16349? Although the seats in the pic above maybe black?

8. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Right you are. I hadn't even clocked the side lights (or indeed the curved headlight buckets). I think histories of 15381 and 16737 preclude them even being possibilities, and I don't think 16589 has ever changed interior colour.

So, as you say, is s/n 16349 the most likely candidate?

FWIW, I believe the only UK-ordered car with black trim from the factory was s/n 14195 - but that was LHD.

-Ed

9. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    The car on the left is a 246 GTS in Gialo?
    Anyone know which one?

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    The car in this picture is #16875. It is azzuro blue with black inside.

Mark Shannon

11. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I don't know why Azzurro didn't cross my mind. Silly. Thanks Mark!

This is the uber-low-mileage car then? Is it still in the UK?

-Ed

12. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    enzo246, bernardo66 and Robert W like this.
  13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Jersey reg. might narrow the field a bit?

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #839 bigodino, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2018
    Sorry for the off-topic, but what's the light blue car in the upper right corner of the first picture?

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    The one with the racing number on the door is a Reliant Scimitar (same as the red car just behind the 275). The other blue one at top right looks like a Morris Marina to me.

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks. I don't think I've ever seen a sedan version, I'm more familiar with the shooting brake one.

17. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    The Scimitar GT (so-called) came before the GTE Shooting Brake. Also, let's not forget the (dark blue) Chrysler Avenger, seen here in unusual two door form. The Morris Marina was later, ahem, restyled by Ital Design / Giugiaro - to become the Morris Ital. Who can forget the TV ad, which featured a Maserati Merak as an example of ID's other superb work... John PS: The 275 GTB/4 is # 09957- the unique RHD Alloy-Bodied car, owned at some time by Bamford. Here it is back in '77, when it was being hammered around a local sprint course (Curborough). How times change.

18. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have taken the opportunity in the last few days to sort through, and start to get rid of, some of my old magazines. I moved house over 12 months ago and the box of Motor Sports that I brought with me has stayed unopened in the loft and so I am wondering why I keep them. I am not just going to throw them out but am going to remove any interesting articles, photos and adverts.

SAY 400 appeared later on a 3.2 Mondial owned by Tommy Sopwith. No credit is given within the article to the owner and I am therefore unsure of the ID of this one.

19. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
  20. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
  21. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    This is s/n 28073. The 400i Auto demonstrator, ordered in Bruno Acajou with VM 3218 hide and VM 890 seat stripes. Anyone without the mag can check out the other photos in the online archive here: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-1979/88/christmas-road-test

Sadly, this 400i is no more (in body, at least). It has since been turned into a so-called '400i Speciale', as photographed by Keith Bluemel (who holds the copyright to these images) in 2011 at Heythrop Park:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

-Ed

22. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Ed. Thank you for that information. It shows how difficult it is to keep track of these cars when they change colour, registration and even body style over time, especially when I did not become interested in the finer details of Ferraris until much more recently. Luckily guys like you have so much useful information that you are able to share.

I have seen 28073 a few times in its current form and think it a real shame that it no longer exists as it was in Motor Sport. I have begun to really appreciate the 365 GT/4 2+2, 400, 412 series of cars recently but the '400i Speciale' is so un-Speciale! I suspect that I will always feel that way about it, and the sister car 37647. I wonder if there will ever be a time when anyone would consider returning them to their original form? Perhaps there is a use, after all, for that burnt out wreck that was on here recently!

Robert

23. Brian Mcculloch Glasgow

Dec 28, 2017
    Glasgow
    Full Name:
    Brian Mcculloch Glasgow
    Some really great pics. That's why they say 'old is gold'. Amazing transformation since those times.

24. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
  25. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Great pic. Bet there is more chance of seeing a Boxer on the road in the UK than there is a Mk IV Cortina, like the one in the background, now :)

Al Campbell likes this.