488 MY2017 - Pan Gasket issue | FerrariChat

488 MY2017 - Pan Gasket issue

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Cedars 488, Nov 15, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    hello all,
    new to the forum so please bear with me if the topic is repetitive.
    I recently went to collect by 488GTB; on PDI, service team advised that they discovered "oil sweating" on the pan gaskets and they need to replace these per factory direction. service manager mentioned that this is not unusual in the 488 and that Ferrari developed new gaskets for that same matter; car is under warranty so all is covered.
    did anyone experience anything similar? is this is something to worry about as sign of structural default in the engine. I am a bit torn on how to proceed as took me time to get the desired configuration; I know there was an old thread on the same topic but OP did not provide further details.
    Thanks in advance

2. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    A bad pan gasket would have no relation to a bigger problem with the engine. You have nothing to worry about.

3. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thanks for taking the time to answer; good to know that the two are independent; but if i go back to the oil sweating: is this due to bad gasket or another issue

4. brobin

brobin Karting

Nov 4, 2015
    Philadelphia Area
    I would say bad pan gasket but ask the service manager. Once replaced you should not have any issues.

Cedars 488 likes this.
  5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No worry, seems to be known and under control. :)

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    There is no "pan gasket" on a 488. The oil sump casting on the bottom of the engine is the crank girdle/bearing support for the crankshaft/lower end bearings. It is sealed to the engine block with sealant, no gasket is used. Resealing the sump basically requires removal and disassembly of the entire bottom end of the motor, not what I would call a simple repair. Perhaps there is misunderstanding of what is actually leaking, and it is something other than what is thought to be a "pan gasket"
    The only oil leakage problem that I have seen on a 488 is the front crankshaft seal leaking, and this is due to a poor seal design, which is fixed with a new seal and some silicone gasket sealant.

7. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thank you very much for the detailed view. I am a bit confused and torn now to be honest;
    I have spoken to 3 official service manager from 3 different states/countries and all used the same term "pan gasket" ; they did explain briefly what you mentioned but they used the term "Pan gasket" all the time; maybe to bring the discussion to my level of understanding of the car mechanics? I even have it on email from the country manager for Ferrari that they are changing the pan gasket.

either way, based on your deep knowledge of this, is this a deal-braker for your? is this a sign of a structural / design fault with the engine?

thank you

8. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thanks again; I mentioned the feedback above and you are 100% (so Kudos to you);
    per this, they took the time to explain that the gasket in question is actually the one linking the timer cover / chain to the short block and that this was a design default on some of the 488 and some of the california and that it will be replaced with a new part. they also mentioned that this is not a major repair;

I am still undecided and keen on knowing your view on this; is it ok that the default is only on the gasket design or does it extend to the engine deisgn

thanks

9. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    one final edit, they sent me the pic of the gasket in question CRANKCASE GASKET and they mentioned this is the only gasket from top to down Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Not a big fuss, don't worry Cedars 488 (what's your name buddy ?)

Cedars 488 likes this.
  11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That is the timing cover gasket. While it is still a big job to replace, it doesn't require the complete disassembly of the engine. I would not worry about it. It is not a structural or design fault. Sometimes gaskets leak due to either a flaw with the gasket or an installation error. After replacement of the gasket you should be leak free and have a great car.

Cedars 488 likes this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Looks like a big job to me! Not like something as complex as an internal engine part but that would take me quite a while start to finish. Glad there are folks that do this for a living.

13. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    there is a lower "pan" gasket on a 488 but the bottom end doesn't need too be removed. you can just lower the pan and replace all seals needed Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    that I know man but put yourself in my shoes. i take the car for 20 min after 6 month waiting and now 2 weeks stop waiting for this :)

my name is JR btw

15. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thanks - that's what I have been told indeed. they admitted it was a gasket design flaw and that they are changing it to be on the safe side.
    I hope this ends soon. I really cannot wait to have it back.

16. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    it's a big job but it's been fully handled by the authorized dealer and under direct supervision from the regional Chief Engineer. it has been a week but car is under warranty and service so I am not incurring any cost. it's just the annoying thought of an imperfection in what I believe is a perfect engine; I would have walked away but I had the car configured the way I wanted and I will not wait for another 6 month

17. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017
    thanks for the info. we established it's the crankshaft gasket

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Are there any other Fchatters here reading this who have (had) the same problems with this gasket ?

19. Cedars 488

Cedars 488 Rookie

Nov 15, 2017