My (Bob) Norwood Experience | Page 15 | FerrariChat

My (Bob) Norwood Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Russ Gould, May 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Only my opinion, I agree with everything above apart from the last part, you could own a warehouse full of much better motors than the price it now takes to secure just one 250 GTO, yet they keep on selling. Desirability is subjective. The OP didn't want a F430 for his budget, he wanted a well sorted Ferrari based car that looked similar to a 288 GTO, his budget in the right hands could have achieved that.

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    #352 Russ Gould, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Paul I really appreciate the support and advice. I have indeed already communicated to Bob, by line item, what portion of his invoices I dispute and why. Silence. I have already shown up there to pick up my car and that's when he threw the legal release at me. I have already spoken to the Rockwall police. But I don't think Norwood, in his heart of hearts, feels justified in his demand for more money. He knows what we agreed (in fact he admitted in our Nov rainy day meeting that at the time he made the offer to split the labor overrun, that he thought the project was "almost done"); and he knows he goofed on the brakes and the Motec, and that he messed up my console, he admitted as much to me and my wife when we were there in May to collect the car. So he knows he is not exactly on firm footing, he is just betting that I will cave. Part of it, I think, has to do with the fact that his guys are subcontractors, not employees. So perhaps he already paid them their "cut", or perhaps feels bad that he did not inform them that he had made the deal with me to split the labor overrun.

After Norwood declined my cashier's check and came up with the new demand that I sign a legal release, I offered him 4 options. One of those was to come clean, take ownership of the remaining problems with the work he did, honor our agreement, and in return I would keep it between the two of us. The last option was to be recalcitrant in which case he would have to deal with the PR and legal consequences. He chose to be recalcitrant. So I am doing what I told him I would do. With me, pretty much what you see is what you get.

I have tried to avoid getting into arguments with some who have posted what I consider to be unfair comments here, my main purpose being to lay out my experience for the benefit of anyone else contemplating a similar project, as well as to fulfill my commitment to Norwood, but I find it hard to read some of these comments without responding.

I know exactly where Aaron is coming from, he is just relaying Bob's public position (which seems to boil down to my wanting his MOTEC, his brake solution, and the a/c to work justifies billing me 3x what he estimated and reneging on the agreed labor split) ; Statler doesn't like me at all going back to my ancient Mondial posts, he is a Mondial owner/aficionado who takes it personally that I didn't much like my Mondial, and he has attacked me personally before; but I can't figure Smiles out at all. If his name wasn't Matt I would swear he was Rick Jackson. I wonder whether Smiles has ever had any dealings with Norwood? A legitimate question, no?

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Did find the constant complaining about a non-fettled car (of any model) to get old fast so I see where that was read as me defending the car model itself, but I thought those disagreements were about conflating issues with ill-maintained cars with well-sorted ones. (also nothing to do with this thread). Do think there are some disingenuous aspects to this thread story. Do think the thread makes the job any next attorney who takes the case much much harder. Airing dirty laundry just doesn't work if any intention of legal action. If it's just revenge posting against the other person (who in this case does look to have done several shady things reading in best light to the aggrieved) it still doesn't work. My comments wouldn't be any different if any other member had started this thread.

paulchua, davemqv and Smiles like this.
  4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think I explained my position in post #151, here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-bob-norwood-experience.576625/page-7#post-146011491

I have no dog in the fight, and have never dealt with Bob Norwood.

I really do wish you a positive outcome. But I think sometimes you can be your own worst enemy in achieving a positive outcome.

My poking you in the ribs -- in the same way I would if we were shoulder to shoulder in any garage or bar -- is my way of trying to get you to see that, although I can understand why others think I'm kicking you when you're down. Tone of voice doesn't exist in the internet.

I'm sincerely curious as to why, after a bad Mondial experience, you want another Ferrari, and why you think this is project is going to be much different. Or, more to the point, how you think that this standoff realistically ends.

And my free advice to help you get out of this mire: either file an injunction and get a court order, or invite Bob to sit down to binding arbitration.

Matt

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    it Sure seems like this situation could last a fair amount of time longer unfortunately. I have to also say that having read all the replies, while I don’t agree with some of them, all hold some valuable information for anyone else contemplating a custom built Ferrari.

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Appreciate the more constructive tone from Smiles.

Likewise I have explained why I want another Ferrari after the Mondial. This car is supposed to be everything the Mondial was not. My disappointment with my Mondial had nothing to do with it being "unfettled", on the contrary it had a complete mechanical overhaul by none other than the semi-famous Dennis McCann right after I bought it. IMO it was a poorly conceived car and the market seems to agree with me. I have also owned a 308GTSi which I liked, apart from the lack of power, and a 308GT4, which was a great car for its time, superior to the Mondial in every way, although they are rust prone (mine was an exception) and not too practical in TX due to lack of A/C. Ironically, I sold the car in OR but it ended up in TX anyway ...

Binding arbitration was the third option. He declined that (of course).

The standoff ends in a party to which all who have posted are invited, even Aaron, but not Statler.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's what happens after the standoff ends. It's not the resolution.

I really think you would benefit from a clear vision on how to get the heck out of the situation you're in.

I'm concerned that you think you have more clarity than you do. And that you are entitled to a better resolution than you are.

Matt

paulchua and davemqv like this.
  8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I can tell you're concerned.

What resolution do you think he's ENTITLED to? I would have thought he's entitled to get what Norwood promised at the cost he promised.

9. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Aaron, can you not get these guys around a table somehow, you seem to be on terms with Norwood and are now also up to speed with the OPs position.

There is an outcome here that all bar the lawyers could be happy with.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    But that very clearly isn't going to happen.

Matt

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ^^^^^ +1

paulchua likes this.
  12. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Are you suggesting a Pow Wow with Dr. Phil? :)

dinogt4guy and paulchua like this.
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I should have said: "a better resolution than you are going to get."

Matt

14. MellyVille

MellyVille Rookie

Jul 27, 2010
    USA
    Get cash. Sign release. Thank everyone who encouraged you to do so because life will be fun again.

You are making a fuss and digging a hole. Just quit. Try to get back at him later when it will not hurt your stomach. Accept it may bring nothing and then hassle him as much as you like. Just put a good nights sleep first on your to do list. And listen. Please.

paulchua and davemqv like this.
  15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I suspect there was some discussion in the private moderator forum.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Big difference.

I certainly hope so, not they'd ever admit it *sigh*

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Any discussion that occurred was about Aircon's never-ending nitpicking of mods. It's been going on for centuries, er, at least, feels like it.

Being bored & having to have last word is already a bad combo as it is. Worse than a gaggle of nosy old ladies.

No mod was inclined to tell, ask or suggest Smiles act differently, as he is a straight shooter.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

18. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oh good one.... So it's my fault? Is it my fault that others thought the same thing about smiles' posts as I did? Interesting view.

No apology from me for pointing out poor form, just like you do..... And I would have commented even if he wasn't a mod.... The fact that he is a mod just made it worse imo.... And the fact that so many of you mods have commented cements that fact..... Since he's a "user first" he's certainly getting very special attention by you.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Flat out wrong.

Matt

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Then that's a real shame.... But it's interesting how so many mods have popped up and commented on a thread that they generally would neither see nor post in.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Multiple implied allegations that I lied?

Enjoy a week time off.

Matt

///Mike likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Russ spent a few antagonistic years on the Mondial forum; we got in our fair share of disagreements. I came to the same conclusion many here already have about his methodology. Suffice it to say, It wasn't a surprise to myself and many others on the results of his latest endeavor. Similar to this thread, the line between what is a 'personal' attack quickly blurs as criticisms on one's actions can't help but spill over to one's character. This post notwithstanding as you can see.

Russ had stated to us that he bought a Mondial 8, sight unseen from a government auction, put a lot of resources into it, and felt it still had problems and sold it. That to me is the classic definition of a "non-fettled car." Ironically, It was later 'flipped' by the person he sold it too for a significantly higher amount after some TLC. I can respect one's sincere opinions, especially on things as subjective on cars; but revisionist history is still just that.

I do believe we parted ways with civil decorum. Many here as myself sympathize of course with Russ's situation, but at the same time, we all see these are same battles fought. Patterns do emerge, and the past however painful cannot often be erased, especially on the internet.

///Mike and davemqv like this.
  23. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As a sponsor, I probably should fall into the same higher standards as mods but I too am a member 1st, sponsor 2nd.

That said, I don't personally know Matt. I don't feel his comments in this thread are out of line at all. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he actually apologized for one?

My experience on this site has been a bunch of very fair mods. Even when they are wrong, they are fair :D (j/k)

308 milano likes this.
  24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The next time I walk in at 3am and my wife says, "where have you been!?" I'm going to say, "What do you mean where have I been!? What about the way the mods are commenting!?!"

Sure fire way to derail a conversation.

RennSport93 and paulchua like this.
  25. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    FWIW - I still use TapaTalk which allows start of first sentence to be seen & if someone gets to the point PDQ, I'm curious.

If I see complaints or concerns about something, then I'm curious as to there being: a valid complaint or concern; not one; somewhere in the middle; your trademark incessant whinging about mods.

In the mod section, there's no thread regarding the OP or this thread.

However, there is your very own personal, ancient thread in mod section, which is dusted off once in a while. Not always, mind you, as unlike yourself, we've got better things to do than let every little thing bother us so much that we've just *got* to whinge about it.

But, once in a while, you decide to just let your fevered imagination run right thru your fingertips, hit Send and therefore broadcast some contrived falsehood, like Smiles' integrity or that of mods who normally don't comment on threads they've seen over and over again, what imaginary discussion took place, when the disgustion was with you.

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

///Mike likes this.